[April Fools 2020] New Year, New Frontier: Transcendence 0.2.0 is Finally Here!

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

Transcendence: Rogue Frontier demo is out now!

The Next Frontier

After years of work, dozens of intermediate releases, and thousands of suggestions and ideas from the loyal community, the long-awaited Transcendence version 0.2.0 is finally here! A lot has changed over the past decade; times change, things change, and even changes change. Transcendence has changed vastly ever since I used to call it Frontier. But nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed about the Roguelike tradition! In today's modern world of open world games with cutting-edge graphics and tired science fiction tropes, the good old text-based game still reigns supreme in bringing out the essence of game design. To honor my roots in the world of roguelikes, I have decided to rewrite Transcendence as a console-based, grid-based, ASCII-style roguelike. Also, I changed the name to Transcendence: Rogue Frontier.

The Rogue Frontier

You read that right! As of April 1st, 2020, Transcendence: Rogue Frontier is a new roguelike that revitalizes the old frontier of minimal graphics and pure gameplay. It's back to the past when the game world was still fixed on the grid. And I hope you understand, I've scrapped the old ship graphics in favor of colorful letters. They're just so colorful!

Awaiting in the game is a different universe from the one you already know. There is no "Sisters of Domina" or "Commonwealth." Now we have the 'Daughters of the Orator' and the 'United Constellation.' The old Sapphire-class yacht is now the Amethyst-class yacht.

The Feature Frontier

Transcendence: Rogue Frontier has only begun development, so stay tuned for updates. For now, be ready for the following features:
  • An engine rewritten from the ground up using C# and MonoGame with a simpler architecture, with parts salvaged from previous projects. The XML format you know and love has been trimmed down to the core. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of TLisp since some of us refuse to even touch it.
  • Hero images have been remastered into the universal medium of ASCII art.
  • New heroes and new enemies! Make friends with questionable characters and take down the Orion Warlords!
  • Fast-paced, action-packed battles across the screen! Fly faster and fight harder against enemies that struggle to aim just as much as you do!
  • Only the first system is actually finished as of this release!
  • Scratch that, only the first stations near the player's spawn location are finished as of this release!
  • But still, I worked really hard on this! It's only been nine days since I started this project!
The Download Frontier

Hopefully the game won't crash on anyone's computer other than mine. For good measure, you should have the latest version of .NET Framework (for Windows only) or Mono (for cross-platform) installed.

https://github.com/INeedAUniqueUsername ... /tag/0.0.1

The April Fools Frontier

April Fools! Ha! You probably wished this was real! And it actually is! The joke's on you! Ha ha ha ha! This is only the first release of what will most likely be many more!

The Special Thanks Frontier

Special thanks to George Moromisato for being the developer of Transcendence trying to reach the Galactic Core. Special thanks to the Iocrym quarantine for giving me way too much free time.
Last edited by 0xABCDEF on Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, if this is actually a prank, you put a lot of effort into it. If it isn't, it was even more effort, but it doesn't run on my machine. (Windows 8)
Exception1.PNG
Exception1.PNG (20.21 KiB) Viewed 23664 times
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Looks good :mrgreen:
Eagerly awaiting the next update coming april 1 2021?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Awesome!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have to admit this is amazing and event better since I read it was Transcendence 2.0 was out!
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

Finally, about time I remember that this thread exists.
NMS wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 am
Well, if this is actually a prank, you put a lot of effort into it. If it isn't, it was even more effort, but it doesn't run on my machine. (Windows 8)
I plan to make this a real project in lieu of direct modding, as "an exercise in independent development."

That crash is most likely due to a hack that automatically sets the dimensions of the console grid on game start. This hack only seems to work on the TranscendenceRL project but not on any other MonoGame/SadConsole project. I should remove it.
Ttech wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 pm
I have to admit this is amazing and event better since I read it was Transcendence 2.0 was out!
Yeah, I deliberately worded it to be misread as Transcendence 2.0 so that someone could expect a modern update rather than an ASCII-based "demake."