I want to talk about the direction of gameplay. I don't feel it is good.

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PM wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm
About WMD...

Recently discovered that Marauder strongholds take this to the next level by requiring mining damage for significant damage. WMD alone does not work against them. Given how late they appear, the only standard weapon with enough oomph to hurt them is the plasma torch. However, they are extremely vulnerable to excavation pods. The problem, without Corporate Command, the pods are mostly found in New Beyond, far from mid to late Ungoverned Territories. Plasma torch is a bit awkward as a weapon, not something I want to use as my primary weapon just to kill Marauder bases. Basically, proper mining support requires the paid expansion Corporate Command.
But missiles do seem to be effective against them (if level appropriate)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The stronghold, the biggest one with undergroundHull, will shrug off many missiles and take less damage. All of the missiles for NAMI missile launcher? They do little damage to the stronghold, even the XM900s. MAG launcher, ZG24 seem to chew them up a bit, but only because powerful fragmentation missiles are very effective or overpowered against large targets. Makayev, the only one that does anything is the level 9 Black Strelka because it is fragmentation and overleveled. M5 Nemesis from NAMI heavy launcher will work, but it had better because it is level 10, plus it has secondary fragmentation, but it is still not a one-hit or two-hit kill on it. (On the other hand, M5 will kill the likes of a Ventari colony in about two hits.)

Many missiles (ANHI excluded) are not very effective against the stronghold. The stronghold can survive more missile hits than many other stations.

If I want to hang around and kill strongholds, I probably want to find a class A excavation pod and blast it in one shot. Corporate Command and/or Near Stars have mining stations to sell pods (Near Stars have UAS stations that seem like mining stations to some extent), but vanilla game does not have much mining beyond New Beyond.

Smaller Marauder stations do not have undergroundHull and can be smashed easily with WMD like most other stations.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I agree, Strongholds are a pain now. But the excavation pods do have a use now!

I have corporate command and the top of the line Burak 600 missiles do also work against the stronghold. But yes many are required (about twenty or so)

Had some fun with class C pods. Not only one shot the stronghold, but also most of its defenders at the same time. Drop it on top of the stronghold, activate and run away fast (need a fast ship for that) perhaps inertialess drive would be good too. Only thing that barely survived was a Tripoli.

And as a bonus, the stronghold's surrounding asteroids delivered several tons of ore as well :D
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ferdinand wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:15 am
I agree, Strongholds are a pain now. But the excavation pods do have a use now!
That would be nice, except that mining equipment in a vanilla game (no Corporate Command, no Near Stars) are too rare beyond New Beyond. I do not want to backtrack too many systems to search for mining pods without jumpdrive. If mining equipment becomes more important, then content beyond early-game should not be locked behind paid expansions.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Perhaps if Commonwealth mining station don't available in ungoverned teritorries, they at least should able to be found in outlaw miner in good number; even though they didn't use it at all.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

We always talked about a better tutorial system, and maybe that like RPGs can give enough kit to get players off to a good start. For me the RNG isnt bad as much as its a lot of searching for the right things and if you don't know what your looking for (by having won the game) its a bit hard to gather. Or maybe a easier easy mode? But more access to stuff and better understanding of station types early game might help