Corporate Command Stock Market

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

My thoughts on the Stock Market and how I exploit part of it.

There are five stocks, representing New Beyond, Ungoverned Territories, Outer Realm, Korolov, and Miners.

Generally, stocks go up when player kills some enemy stations and go down when friendly stations die.

When player cashes out, he pays a tax. If player cannot influence the market in a major way, then investing in stocks will be more trouble than it is worth.

New Beyond: By the time I find a Corporate metro or earn enough spare change, I have killed enough enemies to bump stock prices higher. If I deposit some early, I might make a few thousand credits by the time I reach St. K's. Chump change for giving up money I need now.

Korolov: Korolov stations that die makes the price go down quite a bit, and the one in Charon has a high risk of dying. Meanwhile, only killing Charon pirate stations bumps the price, and there are not very many of those, and probably killed some of them trying to earn your initial fund. Not worth it.

Miners: Only killing outlaw miners will bump the price up. Not enough targets to make investing worthwhile.

Ungoverned Territories: Now here is a possible game-breaker exploit that is tedious to setup, but the payoff is sick and disgusting. Sung stations that are destroyed will send stocks down quite a bit. Meanwhile, killing Anarchists, Outlaws, Marauders, and Pirates will raise stocks, and there are plenty of them. Also, risk of friendly stations dying is minimal. By the time the player reaches St. K's, he may have some spare cash to burn. The exploit is simple, though perhaps easier said than done. The player needs to explore all of Ungoverned Territories, find all of the Sung stations and kill them to drive down stock prices, while avoiding killing most other enemy stations, which would raise prices. After killing all of the Sung Stations, stock prices may be down close to 1. Buy as many as you can afford, which may be about 100,000. After buying stocks, kill the rest of the enemy stations in Ungoverned Territories. After that, stock prices may be in the teens. Now, you can cash them out for over a million credits if you want.

Outer Realm: This is not worth it. Enemies are high powered and some (weaker) friendly stations are likely to die. Killing Ares stations will send prices down much like killing Sung in Ungoverned Territories. However, Ares are strong, and players that can mow them down with ease can mow down the Iocrym in Heretic to win the game. Meanwhile, there are not very many outlaw types (which include Kobol) to kill and raise stock prices. Finally, credits are less important and rin becomes more important.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You are right. That's usually how I invest in the stock market if I ever felt too bored. But more often, it isn't fun to mess with the stock market. It's just a really passive system. I wish in Corporate Command, there was a way to mess with the stock market with missions. For example, the black market or a corporate insider could mess the stock market for their own gain. A company insider at a Corporate Enclave in the residential section could hire you to disrupt the Korolov stock value. You take a Korolov mission and midway out of sight of other ships, you destroy the ship you are protecting. A Charon frigate will come in and dock signaling, "Ahhh, what an odd day to meet up. I suppose you were paid a fancy sum as well. See you next time." The next day, the stock market for Korolov crashes. This will damage your relationship with Korolov but you will get money and know about stock market crashes before hand. This makes the stock system more active and opportunistic for the player.

Also, there should be a Black Market stock market counter part called Dark Investments, where your money gets poured into a hostile organization. Pour enough money and they won't be hostile to you. They make a profit that gets paid back to you when their legal opposing stock market crashes - think Korolov Shipping crashing for a profit in Charon Investments. But if you damage their property, your funds will be deducted as reparations. If you run out of money, the black market will send bounty hunters at you if you don't repay them in interest. And, if you pull out all your funds, you will be immediately be considered hostile. However, if you leave your money for too long, you might be questioned at a court hearing and be unavailable to dock with the opposing legal counterpart. For example, investing in Urak Ore might cause you to be unable to do business with the IMU because they are suspicious of you.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

After playing another game, I had few Sung stations in Ungoverned Territories, few enough that I think I had to kill one base outside of UT to make the Huari friendly. Thus, even the Ungoverned Territories jackpot is not guaranteed. (I only managed to get stocks down to maybe 15 or 16, instead of 3 like the game before it. Not worth playing with it, especially with the faster and safer thermo nanofac exploit) Maybe it will be next release when there will be Sung everywhere in Jiang's Star, player might get enough guaranteed Sung to crash UT stocks in every game, provided he ignores other enemies.

The taxes kill profit unless player can influence stocks in a major way. I guess player could kill friendly stations with ejecta spam exploit (fire magma cutter or plasma torch into a planet and have the ejecta kill station) to drive stock prices down, then kill all of the enemy stations that would rise stocks. Even so, it probably only work after New Beyond because player needs to kill too many enemies in New Beyond just to get started.

I think what I dislike about the Stock Market is the player is encourage to avoid all enemies except that one faction that will crash stocks when killed, buy stocks, then kill everyone else. It might also encourage player to kill friendly stations, as long as the player avoids the killing blow, to drive down prices.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.