Do cannon accelterators stack?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
TobiusBM
Miner
Miner

Do the effects of two installed cannon accelterators stack?
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I just checked versions 1.8.3 and 1.9b2c and they do not stack. +50% is all you get even with 2 installed.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

You know what? Weapon shots affected by cannon accelerators should also have +50% projectile velocity.

It would be funny if you could stack them, but perhaps a bit broken.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If we use E=mc2 as a guide, then +50% damage from cannon accelerator should increase shot speed by about 22%. A shot with original speed of 40 would have a speed of about 49. If lifetime is the same, the weapon would gain more range too. For comparison's sake, if damage was quadrupled, then shot speed (and possibly range) should be doubled. Of course, stacking damage enhancers for kinetics would also stack shot speed bonuses linearly, which should not work that way.

AI may not handle weapons with altered shot velocity very well. If shots from a given weapon flew at .40c, then a powerup doubled their speed, AI controlled ships would still aim based on the original .40c speed, lead shots incorrectly, and miss. Also, AI is unaware of range alterations.

Bottom line, altering shot speed opens a can of worms that is probably best left alone. (One I messed with frustration while designing weapons and enhancers for the Drake Technologies mod over the years.)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.