NAMI Heavy Launcher slows down game

Bug reports for the stable versions go here.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hi there,

I was running 1.7 for weeks without any performance issues. Then I installed the NAMI heavy launcher for the first time and it seemed to slow down the game every time I used it. Having one or two Medusas or Vulcans on screen would cause graphical and audio sluggishness (nearly to the same extent as pressing "I" and entering the Domina menu). This made large battles very difficult to navigate . The clipped sound also became grating. Then the game crashed, though I'm not sure if that was directly related. I sent a support email with my debug log.

I'm using the past tense because I just upgraded to the latest beta version (released last week). I'm not sure yet if this is will still be an issue.

Cheers!
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I get this sort of lag fairly often, especially with weapons with enhanced fire-rates. I've always assumed it is a function of all the effects needed for the weapons fire. The Medusas split into 12(?) separate missiles which all have to be created and managed by the game. And the explosions are a separate thing as well so each one of those has to run as well. Launch a couple of them and the processing soon gets a bit excessive.
Admittedly I don't have a very powerful computer which contributes to this but generally the lag clears itself fairly quickly and, in my experience, doesn't affect gameplay to a really annoying level but it still isn't a desirable thing. It doesn't 'stop' the game at any point which is one thing that would be of concern IMO.

There are a couple of things which can be done to change graphics setting which might help but others will need to run though what they are. I have no experience in that area.
Possibly modders who create exotic weapons with spectacular effects have more info about what can be done or whether this is a problem that needs fixing.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I just switched to the latest beta and improved my Wine configuration (I'm running Linux). The situation seems much improved. There's still a tiny bit of lag, but I can now use the NAMI heavy.

Thanks for taking a stab at this. I think you're right that modders who work with lots of splash damage and visual effects would probably have the best input.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com