[Graphics] "Tearing" artefacts?

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I noticed something that looked like "tearing" artefacts (usually encountered in 3D games when wait on vsync is turned off), especially when moving near large (e.g. Commonwealth) stations. It looks like the game it switching frames in the middle of the image being sent to the monitor.

I tried forcing "wait on vsync" on in my video driver, but that didn't change anything.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I have a fix in RC5 (not yet released) that (I think) fixes that problem.

Thanks!
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

george moromisato wrote:I have a fix in RC5 (not yet released) that (I think) fixes that problem.

Thanks!
Yay! I'm looking forward to it. :D

Thanks, George.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm afraid I'm still seeing the same phenomenon in RC5. Flying past the larger stations with enough speed (freighter is fast enough, should be more noticable with a Wolfen) makes the stations look "choppy".
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Ihlosi wrote:I'm afraid I'm still seeing the same phenomenon in RC5. Flying past the larger stations with enough speed (freighter is fast enough, should be more noticable with a Wolfen) makes the stations look "choppy".
I don't think it will ever be perfect. There are too many factors unrelated to Transcendence (graphics card, OS, background processes, etc.)

Try the same thing on RC1 or 0.99c. If you CANNOT reproduce in 0.99c and it DOES reproduce in RC5, then it's a bug in RC5. Otherwise, it's just the combination hardware/software.

Also, could you try the /nodx switch and see if that makes a different?

Thanks!
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

george moromisato wrote:I don't think it will ever be perfect. There are too many factors unrelated to Transcendence (graphics card, OS, background processes, etc.)
Hm, possibly. There have been a few hints of ATI being sloppy on the 2D part of their graphics drivers.

(I guess I'm just enough of a fan of snazzy 2D graphics to notice such things. Must be related to playing too many games during the 1980s. ;) )
Also, could you try the /nodx switch and see if that makes a different?
The switch doesn't seem to make any difference.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Actually, i've been having a similar but issue.
When I start the game or when minimize and maximize, the game seems to run very smoothly and actually faster than normal for a few seconds. And then, after that time period, sort of settles back into the 'right' speed with slightly choppier graphics.

No, I've noticed this in RC4 and RC5. But it was certainly not present in 0.97 which was the last version I played.

This isn't potentially gamebreaking in any way. Actually, I've noticed for quite a while and ignored before I a 'really' took notice. I'll go do some tests like the /nodx switch and 0.99c.