Keys does not work on 'submenus', such as squadron orders

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

I'm running Transcendence on Netbook(Atom N270, GMA 945) with Windows 2003
And i have don't working "submenus". For example, then i trying to command squadron to wait, i press Q, then trying to press W(for Wait command), but nothing happens. And "menu" is still on screen.
With same problem i can't invoke powers of Domina, and use "communications"(C).
But this is not effect on Esc. It's works well.

I tried to run game with /dx, and /nodx cmd line arg. It was no effect. Closed almost all processes in windows, just to check maybe some process is blocking this - no effect.
Then i launched Transcendence in wine, on my Fedora(Second OS). It's slow, but all works. And this will be slow a long time, so this is not variant to play Transcendence there

I don't know that to do. I don't want to install Windows 7, only because of the game. And in Windows 7 don't work my another favourite game, Freelancer. Help me
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

can you try to run the game in compatibility mode ?
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

digdug wrote:can you try to run the game in compatibility mode ?
Oh yes, I tried to run in compatibility mode up to Windows 95 and Windows 98, or even 2000. But this does not solve the problem :( .
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

can you try a different version of Transcendence and see if you are experiencing the same problem ?
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... on_history
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

digdug wrote:can you try a different version of Transcendence and see if you are experiencing the same problem ?
http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... on_history
I just tried 1.00 and 1.07a(Beta). Both have this problem
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

So, can anyone help me, or i can stop check this thread every day, and forgot about it?
Note, i still hope what this problem can be solved!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sorry nexfwall, I don't have much experience with WIndows Server 2003.
I tried to run Transcendence on my windows 7 in "windows 2003 compatibility mode" and I didn't get any problem.
I thought about any mods that could give such a problem, but none should do that.

Let's hope that George has a moment, notices this thread and gives an advice :D
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

digdug wrote:Sorry nexfwall, I don't have much experience with WIndows Server 2003.
I tried to run Transcendence on my windows 7 in "windows 2003 compatibility mode" and I didn't get any problem.
I thought about any mods that could give such a problem, but none should do that.

Let's hope that George has a moment, notices this thread and gives an advice :D
Шindows compatibility mode will give just some fake registry entries, that can help to run a program what has dependency on them. Well, or in particularly severe cases, Windows will try to "mimic" under NT 5.2, including "mimic" the kernel under NT 5.2.
But if think a little by head, Windows 2003 it is the same Windows XP, only with a "fixed" kernel. Do you have Windows XP anywhere? Let's check there!

[offtop]Привет товарищи! До чего блин докатились :)[/offtop]
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I think this is likely a bug in the engine. I didn't think that Windows 2003 was any different from XP or W7 in terms of keyboard events.

If you have time and patience, could you help me debug the problem? If I can find it, I might be able to do a fix for 1.08. A few questions:

1. Are you using an international keyboard?
2. Does the Use menu work ('U' key). [You'll need a usable item, of course.]
3. In the Use menu, if you have multiple items, do the '[' and '] keys work (they move the cursor left and right).
4. Can you type in the debug console? [F9 key]
5. Can you try going to the Control Panel and setting the keyboard repeat delay to "Long" and the repeat rate to "Slow"?

Thank you! I hope we can get to the bottom of this.
nexfwall
Anarchist
Anarchist

george moromisato wrote:I think this is likely a bug in the engine. I didn't think that Windows 2003 was any different from XP or W7 in terms of keyboard events.

If you have time and patience, could you help me debug the problem? If I can find it, I might be able to do a fix for 1.08. A few questions:

3. In the Use menu, if you have multiple items, do the '[' and '] keys work (they move the cursor left and right).
5. Can you try going to the Control Panel and setting the keyboard repeat delay to "Long" and the repeat rate to "Slow"?

Thank you! I hope we can get to the bottom of this.
Amazing. I'm stupid. I typed all this:
At least, you come!
So, answers:
I can say only, that this is a netbook keyboard, and it have 2 layouts(RU,EN)
So you can see a zip with keyboard photos. You can try to resolve yourself, if this international keyboard, or not :)
I tried to command my squadron attack target with external USB-keyboard
My USB-keyboard don't help :( The problem is not in keyboard(this is just a my try to find what is wrong)
Yes, i used ROM's and barrels. Used by Enter key
No, i can't move cursor with '[' and ']' keys. But i can move it by left and right arrows
Yes, but only numbers. Including space and ? key(left from the right shift). The symbols (Q, W, E, R, T, Y, U, I, O. ..), can't be typed. (Is this the root of all troubles? :D )
Nothing changes if i do this. I still can't command my squadron to attack, and type in debug console. If you mean, changed the repeat rate or not, it changed.
And I found the root of the problem. THIS IS LAYOUT! By default my layout is RU(Because i'm Russian). I changed layout in game, and bingo! All work!
Forgive me for spending your time. Please add this to some Troubleshooting FAQ, that the layout must be set to EN. This is just stupid!
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have a similar problem, where Transcendence will occasionally stop responding to keyboard commands in-game -- but only when trying to give orders to wingmen/autons or invoke the domina powers. don't remember it cropping up recently, no idea what caused it. i use the standard keyboard settings.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well, I'm happy that it got resolved.

Case closed