Problems opening debug console

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm running 1.2+CC+TSB+Osaka, and the debug console is refusing to open. The game's running with a /debug switch, and regardless of what state the debug-mode button in the splash screen is saying (I'm still not sure which state shows what mode*), I'm unable to bring up a console ingame. I've tried remapping the key to no effect.I've never used it before now, but I'm trying to hunt down what might be another bug, and need the console to test a few things out.....so having it refuse to open no matter what is somewhat annoying, to say the least. I've also tried starting new games in both modes,with all extensions disabled, to no effect. It seems that on my copy of the game at least, debug mode is nonfunctional.

*This is something of an issue, Admittedly, it would be quick to work out if the console was working, because then I could work out which state indicated the right mode through trial and error. But at present it's a little unclear about whether having the button saying "Debug" means the game is in debug mode, or whether the button needs to be pressed in order to get into debug mode.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

This is how you know it's in debug mode:
debug mode.png
debug mode.png (61.16 KiB) Viewed 9764 times
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I figured but wasn't sure. Either way, the console itself isn't working.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

This is a current limitation, unfortunately.

Most likely the problem is that you started the game in "registered mode" (i.e., non-debug, no mods). In that case, the game ignores the debug switch (since you should not be allowed to alter a registered game).

I need to make a fix to deal with this. Probably there should be an option to set a game to debug mode from the the load game screen. [Or something.]
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:This is a current limitation, unfortunately.

Most likely the problem is that you started the game in "registered mode" (i.e., non-debug, no mods). In that case, the game ignores the debug switch (since you should not be allowed to alter a registered game).

I need to make a fix to deal with this. Probably there should be an option to set a game to debug mode from the the load game screen. [Or something.]
So when I started the game in debug mode, it then switched to "registered" when I logged into multiverse and then didn't let me use debug? Because that's the only way I can see the game I started while in debug mode not having a working console. Unless the debug switch flat out isn't working.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Shrike wrote:So when I started the game in debug mode, it then switched to "registered" when I logged into multiverse and then didn't let me use debug? Because that's the only way I can see the game I started while in debug mode not having a working console. Unless the debug switch flat out isn't working.
I'm not sure. If so, that's also something that should be fixed.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think George means the savegame is registered, not that the application instance is registered. Try starting a game with a non-multiverse mod outside debug mode and then loading it in debug mode.
Literally is the new Figuratively
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Atarlost wrote:I think George means the savegame is registered, not that the application instance is registered. Try starting a game with a non-multiverse mod outside debug mode and then loading it in debug mode.
Thank you--yes--I should have been more clear.