New Mod Released: Upgradeable Wingmen

Post about your finished mods here.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Atarlost wrote:I think I'd prefer to dock at the same station and tell them what to install from my hold.
I like that too.
appleseed
Miner
Miner

I have got some more idea for player's wing men:

1. Some miners want go outer system as they told player in Eradini system after completion of miner's mission.

2.Some of the refugee want to go with player for better future.

3.One of the bounty hunter can join the player when player destroyed the black market station.

4.May be a Huarian after completing there mission.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:
Atarlost wrote:I think I'd prefer to dock at the same station and tell them what to install from my hold.
I like that too.
I just tried to make that happen, the method I'm using is:
1. order wingman to dock, they find a station and dock.
2. the player docks at the same station and the onBehavior event changes the screen to the wingman upgrade screen.

it doesn't work though.

1) the list data(and thus devices, armor, and cargo) is either from the station I dock at, or from my ship, never the wingman. does dataFrom= accept anything that will let me point it at the wingman's ship when I'm docked at the station?

2) getting them to dock with black market/ ringers/ taikon, or restricting device installs when docked at an armor dealer, but that's a lower priority.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You should never install from the wingman's hold, only yours, and stuff replaced should go to your hold. Wingmen should never have anything in their hold in the first incarnation. A second incarnation that lets you transfer consumables from your hold to theirs would come later.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It is accessing the station, not the ship. It wants to let me install stuff from the station, on the station, remove devices from the station, replace armor on the station, use barrels on the station's armor (which it doesn't have), etc. that is never going to work.

the other option I see is docking with the wingman who is docked at the station. That way the mechanism for working with devices works, the problem is figuring out the tech level of the station, and what services it offers.

or I could overwrite lots of dockscreens instead of adding them.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

When you give the dock order place a flag in object data. When you give the order to undock remove it. When in the station enumerate through the ships within a not very large radius looking for one with that flag in object data. That's the ship to pass to the install and uninstall functions.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

updated again, 2 changes.

1) wingmen can only be upgraded when docked with a station, a dock command is added and the tech level depends on the station. (the player needs a station, why didn't they?)

it's not perfect, but it's more balanced than before

George added a staticdata to stations that tell wingmen they can repair armor there, and to which tech level. the problem is I can't tell a station's device install tech level from code, or even if it can install devices. At the moment the device tech level is assumed to be 2 less than the armor tech level, except for a few stations which must be manually added.

2) with 1, naturally I removed the feature where they switch weapons when fighting luminous drones.

3) a new wingman, buster, flying a t31 armed transport, encountered pinned down on a star early in the game.

He works, but is somewhat lacking in personality, and the text when he is acquired could use some work. He's supposed to be a former soldier, turned smuggler, turned pilgrim. were there any recent wars in the transcendence universe?

EDIT: to be clear, you still dock with the wingman, not the station.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Ares war has been going on for some time, I would think that it'd be old enough for there to be veterans of it.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Some time as in 200+ years. That's plenty of time to have lots and lots of veterans. Starton Eridani comments on people thinking that a fleet of Ares was coming their way in 2190, but they were mistaken. The current year is 2400+.
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.