[New Mod] maneuvering thrusters

Post about your finished mods here.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Finally, a way to strafe and reverse thrust! Unfortunately, the thrusters take your launcher slot. There are 3 sizes of thrusters micro, medium and heavy freight.

Download from Xelerus

Updated @ 36 DLs June 2nd/10
The thrusters now have afterburners and the ammo use has been removed. I tried to balance them some more and added a autoDefense device that will shove the ship out of the path of incoming missiles.
Last edited by Prophet on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Heh. That's a little like the effect of my Hellfire cannon, which lobs your ship backwards as you fire it. :D
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This looks very interesting and innovative. How do I choose to fire a particular thruster? Mind you, I have only looked at the code, not tried it ingame. Am I right in assuming this would be so much better with freely bound keys?
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The onFireWeapon code checks which ammo you have selected and generates thrust appropriately. There are three ammo types: thrustLeft, thrustRight, thrustReverse. The ammo items are virtual and only exist to provide criteria for the event code to check. With custom keys this could be a misc device rather than taking up the launcher slot.
Stay tuned for updates!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

George, can we please have free key binding? :twisted:
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OMG! This is 90% of the way there to the most perfect mod ever made! The only way it could be made better is with virtual keys. GEORGE!!! PLZ?!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I think it's a great idea. I was planning on doing some simple key-mapping for 1.2, but maybe I can move that up to 1.1.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Now that would be spectacular! :o
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think it's a great idea. I was planning on doing some simple key-mapping for 1.2, but maybe I can move that up to 1.1.
Yay! :D
Vizth
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Prophet wrote:Finally, a way to strafe and reverse thrust! Unfortunately, the thrusters take your launcher slot. There are 3 sizes of thrusters micro, medium and heavy freight. They generate their own ammo which is used as the fuel.
I developed these as a mining assistance device but they were too much fun to hold onto.

Download from Xelerus
You bastard, I've been working on a mod like that over a month now. lol

Ok not exactly like mine, mine's supposed to be more like a dodge button. Mind if i use some of your code? Making them directional is what killed me. XD
ptbptb
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think everybody is going to die when the AI of enemy ships gets to do this. ;-)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ptbptb wrote:I think everybody is going to die when the AI of enemy ships gets to do this. ;-)
Yeah. You're on 5 armor, you've got 7 shots left on your thermo cannon....and your enemy strafes right and hits reverse thrust JUST as you loose those last few rounds. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Vizth wrote:Ok not exactly like mine, mine's supposed to be more like a dodge button. Mind if i use some of your code? Making them directional is what killed me. XD
That's an awesome idea, please use whatever code you need. If you have any questions, just ask! In the case of making enemies dodge, perhaps something like an ICX auto defense device but have the weapon simply shove the ship sideways. It may mess with the AI a bit but it will mess with players more :twisted:
Stay tuned for updates!
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

If anyone actually figures out how to make AI do this, it would make the game that much more awesome... of course, certain types of ships shouldn't have this ability at all.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shouldn't be too hard. Get the relative vector to the target and thrust depending on the angle.