maybe
No votes
Yes
50%

Total votes: 2
travbm
Miner
Miner

I found I could take the mining mod with all the new fuels and ores and make hydrogen gas a usable fuel by adding fuel; into the script and adding the data 4000 just by cut an pasting from other data. I don't know if this counts as a real mod but I had hoped to convert it to a breeder system but failed miserably. So now I just use hydrogen gas as fuel with a data value of 4000. I hoped to make deuterium gas by using hydrogen gas by a modifying the uranium waste mod but didn't work.

Here is how I wanted it to work.

Hydrogen gas in use 2 hydrogen gases and output 1 deuterium.

Deuterium gas used 2 consumed output 1 tritium gas.

Tritium gas used 2 consumed output 1 helium fuel rod.

2 Helium fuel rod used one lithium fuel rod made.

Lithium fuel rod equal to fuel value of three helium fuel rods.

Lithium fuel assembly equals the fuel value of 3 helium assemblies.

Lithium rod or assembly used output carbon spool for each used as waste to be sold for credits.

Doing nothing here.
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

please don't post in yellow lol Hydrogen technically should be a fuel, but it isn't. Since most reactors use helium
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Meh, they probably just can't get the compression rate/core temp high enough. Surprised they don't go for Deuterium/Tritium reaction as a hybrid though. That fusion level is reasonable with near future tech.
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

helium3 fusion produces less radioactive byproducts compared to H/H reactions...yes fusion still causes readioactive waste.
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

also I am not sure such thing a a fusion breeder reactor design exists...I thought the only breeder reactor concepts were for fusion.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yeah, fast breeder is using one nuclear fission reaction (or the neutrons from it) to induce radioactive change in a secondary material, usually to generate fissionable weapons grade material. I'm sure other types of fast breeder exist but for the game you could just call it a generic 'Nuclear Transmuter' to change one material into another by a series of artificial fission or fusion reactions?

Yeah, fusion creates radiation, though minimal actual radioactive waste from the reaction itself. Unfortunately most reactor designs we know of don't stop all the radiation with the immaterial confinement (currently either laser or magnetic) so the walls of the chamber become slowly radioactive. Still, you're talking an amount of waste comparable to what a fission plant produces in maybe months over the whole lifespan of the fusion reactor.
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It would be relatively easy to script a fission breeder reactor, but since fusion breeding isn't possible afaik that would be out.