Sebenkia Shipyards (mods & New graphics!)

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Okay, the generator thing looks awesome now, but I think the whole thing looks a bit Flash-Gordon-ey... :|

Flash Gordon being a 50s (60s?) sci-fi show.
Silentdances
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hmm, UV maps confuse me- I can find lots of tutorials, but nothing that explains the exact benefits.
it allows you to create more realistic looking models.. you can add a lot of the 'feel' that your basic renders won't be able to give you. such things as fading paint, brushed metal, the normal scratches and nicks you get on most metallic objects. its also great if you have a poly count limitation, because you can fake some of that details through your skins (uv map)
"Darkness makes the sunlight so bright, that our eyes blur with tears. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Life is hard. It is supposed to be."
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yugi wrote:Okay, the generator thing looks awesome now, but I think the whole thing looks a bit Flash-Gordon-ey... :|

Flash Gordon being a 50s (60s?) sci-fi show.
flash! aaaahhhh!
nothing wrong with flash gordon.
It was awesome, when we actually had a future to look forward to.

But, without further adoo, here be the new icon

(Will be on xelerus soon, since I didn't design it for myself- It's "for the community" [/fingerquotes])
Lamplighter icon replacer
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

F50 wrote:Particle cannons, TeV weapons, Ion canons
sorry if these are random items, but they are so ubiquitous (and the default weapon graphic is boring compared to yours) I thought you might want to give these a try. If you don't want to do random items though:
Katana, Shtorm repeater, and PK25.
Particularly the Katana. Perhaps you might have fun doing the GoS too?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Silentdances wrote:it allows you to create more realistic looking models.. you can add a lot of the 'feel' that your basic renders won't be able to give you. such things as fading paint, brushed metal, the normal scratches and nicks you get on most metallic objects
Wait, so it makes everything look broken and unmaintained? Why would you want that?
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Another new ship, the Xandria class courier

FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yugi wrote: Wait, so it makes everything look broken and unmaintained? Why would you want that?
Only if you want things to look broken. I believe you missed the point of what UV mapping can do. It simply makes models look more real while allowing lower poly count-which is a big issue with modeling. You can UV map some skins to make your ship model (or whatever) look spiffy new if you like. It's all about texture--how you want them to look and where you want them applied.

evilbob, you're making some really nice ships!
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

FAD wrote:allowing lower poly count-which is a big issue with modeling.
Considering that Transcendence isn't actually using models, just images of renders, that's not really a problem for me.
FAD wrote: evilbob, you're making some really nice ships!
Thanks.

I'm open for requests, if anyone has any ideas.
Silentdances
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Considering that Transcendence isn't actually using models, just images of renders, that's not really a problem for me.
while its true that trancendence doesn't rely on polys.. your models do.
higher end models .. especially when it comes to details.. are something you're going to want to skin.

also doing the complete model.. will eventually help you to create better models.
"Darkness makes the sunlight so bright, that our eyes blur with tears. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Life is hard. It is supposed to be."
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, here's a couple of new products-

The Xandria fighter and an icon for kinetic weapons.

Silentdances
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

kewl models :) you doing a set?
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

yeah, probably release the item icons as a pack once I have the laser done, but I can't find a design that really goes "LAZOR!!!".

As for ships, maybe once I have my adventure done.
Silentdances
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

your current style of ships would make a nice sovereign :D
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

oh I wonder, perhaps that's why I've been doing it from the start. :roll:

Ok, laser icon done, I'll write the mod for them then upload on Xelerus (gonna replace all laser and kinetic weapons with my icons.)

evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

UPDATE: it's up on xelerus now

Kinetic & laser icon replacer