[Development] SJ&M, 3S&S and SW&A

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

i think you can do a ship with only one facing (but i think it would muck up the ai )
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sdw195 wrote:i think you can do a ship with only one facing (but i think it would muck up the ai )
EX-cellant.

Now go and look at Mod of the Year and start nominating stuff. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:
sdw195 wrote:i think you can do a ship with only one facing (but i think it would muck up the ai )
EX-cellant.

Now go and look at Mod of the Year and start nominating stuff. :P
Me??? nominating stuff???? Really??? i havn't played much all year
*Sdw195 quickly goes through xelerus "SMaM nah *toss, SFItemGraphics LT, um i would but... *toss, *toss, *toss, *toss, *toss, *toss, ah FalconCV that will do..."
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

Shrike wrote: can you do a ship with only one facing? I'm thinking about trying one...)
I tried that a few months ago. They couldn't turn so I got a group of ships migrating strait up forever. Very amusing to shoot them. :twisted:
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Right, I'll just make all 40 facings the same. :D
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:Right, I'll just make all 40 facings the same. :D
oh great, that will work well. heh.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This will probably be finished far too late for SJ&M, if it gets finished at all, but I thought it was worth showing off. This is the first 2 mins work on a ship graphic. It's a rethink of a timeless classic......

The Sword Ship.....MK.2

Compared to the original (which I take no credit for :D):
Just the outline and scaffolding for the convoluted and time consuming way I make my models, but I think this one should go....interestingly. I can already see that the bits on the ends of the arms/whatever, are going to be tricky, my scaffolding is already entirely the wrong shape. :P

EDIT: As per a request of Ttech, the finished product will probably be less "suggestive" to the sick minded among us. Lament and/or cheer as you wish.
Last edited by Song on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ugh that ship... that ship... it makes me sad...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ttech wrote:ugh that ship... that ship... it makes me sad...
I could cheer you up by showing you the "awesome" battlecruiser. Once I finish it, that is.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm afraid I will have to delete that post if it ever occured, I can only image what part that would be...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

During the downtime, I've worked a little on SW&A. It's turning out well, and should be finished on time. SJ&M is lagging a little behind, but as it's not as complex, and isn't even meant as a high-priority mod, that doesn't matter at all.

SW&A carries on from SM&M, and has much the same philosophy. It should NOT be a massive "game-changer", making things too easy or too hard. What it does is add choices that you don't get, or don't get ENOUGH in the vanilla game. It is a more complex mod in just about every way compared to SM&M, and includes my first forays into scripted weaponry and dockscreens, more complex (and customised) weapon effects, and more novel and hard-to-balance concepts. With luck, it should turn out really well.

SW&A will include, based on current plans and timelines:
  • -A full series of "Autoturrets" for point-defense, ranging from the "Just stronger than Autosentinal" TR5 (development name) through to the TR8, which sports a lightish shield, duralloy armor and a Mk.1 howitzer in its current test version (Currently awaiting graphics, at which point I will start balance testing)
    -The SZ series of civilian gunpod/gunturret weapons (Weapons themselves just about done,working on balancing, awaiting dockscreen refinement)
    -The RZ series of military gunpod/gunturret weapons (First weapon just about done and balanced, 1-2 more to do before full balancing, awaiting dockscreen refinement)
    -An overwrite of disposable launchers adding reload packs (possibly, I haven't coded this yet, but the magazine code for the SZ and RZ guns is easily adapted to other weapons, and I have always planned to make disposables relaodable at some point. Possibly I can also add station-side code for this as well).
    -A new mid-late game medium launcher, development name "Azriel", which launches 5 new "Messenger" series hyper-velocity missiles, ranging from the Messenger I standard blast torpedo through to the Messenger IV "Breacher" round [which will pierce straight through things, making it evil against large ships and swarms, although aiming it is hard] and the Messenger V antimatter missile. You'll like this one, I assure you. Testing it has been REALLY fun. It's harder to use than a NAMI (some of your tracking missiles WILL miss) but it's generally more powerful.
    -A new late-game plasma weapon, which is not in itself very interesting as of yet, although I'm working on making it more "fun". This was originally an SJ&M weapon, but had potential as a balanced thing, so I shoved it into SW&A
    - A ripple-firing launcher (Once I get the example code out of another mod and accredit it properly) using the Gotha 10 missile.
    -Possibly a new ICX style device.
    -Various Unspecified Changes to Autons in general, and possibly a new auton or two. New Autons will require new graphics.
    -The Australis cannon (named for the Aurora Australis, not for everyone's favourite part of New Zealand [/cheapshotatAustralia]) and Focal Computer [device], a harder-to-use but more-powerful-when-combined alternative to the X-ray laser. You need the focal computer for this gun to really be worth it. With laser upgrades/a collimator, this thing becomes quite simply AWESOME....Although it's not the easiest gun to hit things with.
    -Several other weapons I'm not telling you about yet. Rest assured, they will be interesting.
[/color][/b]
Some pictures:

Figure 1: An early (MOD. 5) version of the Messenger IV missile during a static test on a Mikeno wreck. The future for the IV is misty.....I am not sure if I can modify it to balance it at present (the current MOD. 8 isn't balanced, and doesn't quite make sense), or if a different setup is required. I *do* have several options however, so the missile WILL appear in some form. Probably going to end up as a hellishly hard to use but insanely powerful straight-line weapon.

Figure 2: A final-variant Messenger V grazes a swarm of Sandstorm gunships

Figure 3: Taking on yet more sandstorms with the RZ-80 Gunpod. There seems to be a problem with how either Moltenbolts or particlecomets do facings. That, or there's an optical illusion involved, which IS possible. However my experiments make it look like the Moltenbolt (and Bolt codes as well) is the problem.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:Help would be useful.

I'm also not exactly sure what it'll turn into, I had a slight change of idea...

(Incidentally, can you do a ship with only one facing? I'm thinking about trying one...)

once facing? It would just be a ball... How would that work?
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ttech wrote:

I'm also not exactly sure what it'll turn into, I had a slight change of idea...

(Incidentally, can you do a ship with only one facing? I'm thinking about trying one...)

"Strangely"
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:
Ttech wrote:

"Strangely"
indeed.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This thread is now obsolete. Splitting into seperate dev threads for the projects as they advance enough to merit them. Can an admin please lock this?