Idea: Devices to help with aiming unguided weapons

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Lokasenna
Miner
Miner

We all know that it can be a little annoying to sit outside of a station's range and wiggle around until you're at the proper angle, so I thought of a few things that simplify the process:

1. Targeting Reticle: This could be a modification to the basic targeting rom, or separate, whatever. It would display a crosshair at the border of the screen to show where your ship is currently pointing so you can tell when you're actually lined up with that Charon Stronghold at the edge of your radar.

2. Alignment Thrusters: Useable device that will look at your target, the direction you're facing, and fire side thrusters as needed to put you in position for things like Longbows, Slam Cannons, or whatever your projectile of choice happens to be.

3. Launch Tracker: Non-useable device that allows your secondary weapon to launch things toward your target, rather than directly ahead. Weapons would still launch from the same place, so you'd be limited to, say, 15-20 degrees of correction to avoid hitting yourself.

They would all cost appropriate amounts of money, consume power, etc. I don't want anything unbalanced, just something to compensate for the ship-facing limitations.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Lokasenna wrote: 2. Alignment Thrusters: Useable device that will look at your target, the direction you're facing, and fire side thrusters as needed to put you in position for things like Longbows, Slam Cannons, or whatever your projectile of choice happens to be.
Prophets thruster mod does something like that iicr
Lokasenna wrote: 1. Targeting Reticle: This could be a modification to the basic targeting rom, or separate, whatever. It would display a crosshair at the border of the screen to show where your ship is currently pointing so you can tell when you're actually lined up with that Charon Stronghold at the edge of your radar.
i was going to make a laser line shooting infront of the player ship but we don't have a function i need for it

Edit:
Welcome to the forums :D
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Lokasenna wrote: 1. Targeting Reticle: This could be a modification to the basic targeting rom, or separate, whatever. It would display a crosshair at the border of the screen to show where your ship is currently pointing so you can tell when you're actually lined up with that Charon Stronghold at the edge of your radar.
As far as I remember I did something like this in the Advanced Targeting Device. It is definitely possible to mod at least.

As for the other two i think they are nice ideas. They should also be possible to mod into the game.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've often wondered why in the game people cannot get a upgrade that allows you to onminfy any weapon - it would seem the turret should be capable of taking any weapon?
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I agree. I've always thought of trying to mod one, but I never got around to it. I'm not even sure it's possible, you'd could do a useless weapon with no shot and no damage, then have an (OnWeaponFire) and a (CreateWeaponFire) so when you shoot it shoots a different weapon at a ship in the vicinity. The problem is getting it to affect a vanilla weapon.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drako Slyith wrote:I agree. I've always thought of trying to mod one, but I never got around to it. I'm not even sure it's possible, you'd could do a useless weapon with no shot and no damage, then have an (OnWeaponFire) and a (CreateWeaponFire) so when you shoot it shoots a different weapon at a ship in the vicinity. The problem is getting it to affect a vanilla weapon.

I believe I made a feature request on the trac a while ago, however I put it at quite low priority. Its not like the game will self destruct if we don't get a feature like this in the game any time soon. :)