Custom Work

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Commander Wilmot
Anarchist
Anarchist

I know it is a lot to ask, but I was wondering if some one would be interested in working on a custom player ship. I fly a Wolfen and was wondering if anyone would make a modified player version that would have 72 facings, instead of the usual forty. Same equipment and stats as usual, except that the Wolfen's turn rate could be adjusted to fly with the same maneuverability with 72 facings, as a standard forty facings Wolfen. Is this even possible?

If so, could someone at least provide the images necessary? I could probably do the rest myself if some one could provide the images for a 72 facing Wolfen and explain the changes I would need to make to the .xml to account for 72 facings and how the turn rate works so I could derive an equation to see what the new turn rate needs to be.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Wolfen cannot be made to turn at the current rate with more than 40 facings. This is a limitation of the game engine.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The stock Wolfen with 40 facings already turns at maximum speed. Adding one with 72 facings will make it turn about as slow as the EI500. If you want to see a ship with 72 facings in action, download and play my 72 Facings EI500 mod.

One of my long term goals for Playership Drones is to re-render slow turning ships to support facings greater than 40, so that every ship can animate as smoothly as possible. There are two problems with that.
1. AI does not recognize facings greater than 40. NPC ships with more than 40 facings can wander aimlessly. This does not affect playerships, only NPCs.
2. Filesize for big ships with 120 or 180 facings will be huge, up to a little under 2MB for something like a CSC alone! Since Xelerus does not accept mods bigger than 5MB, I would need to upload many expansion parts. Playership Drones v4 already has three expansion parts for 40 facings ships.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Commander Wilmot
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks. I was hoping to address the problem in dogfights when you are drift fighting. That part of a dog fight can be problematic as you can't always hit the enemy ship without readjusting your course and possibly losing the target. I guess the hornet battlepod doesn't turn faster than Wolfen, it just has less facings. Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum value for turn rate hard coded into the game engine? If any one doesn't know off the top of their head, then I will look it up on wiki; but I assume some one knows.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The fastest turn rate is 1 or 2. (It uses multiples of 2.) A turn rate of 1 and a turn rate of 2 are effectively the same. Turn rates of 3 and 4 are the same. Hornet and Wolfen ships have maximum turning speed per frame, but since the Hornet has 20 facings, and the playership version of the Wolfen has 40, the Hornet turns twice as fast as the Wolfen.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Commander Wilmot
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks for the information, is there somewhere I can look more of this up? I have checked the wiki, but I am not finding much on the topic of ships, only on weapons. Also, is there somewhere I could look up the process for making ship graphics from 3D models? I hope I haven't seemed demanding with all my questions.