Shrike's Mines & Missiles ++

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Pretty much finalised the Kytryn launcher now. The ammo may be a little too common for it, but eh....it's hard to learn where it is and I can always nerf it later.

I honestly don't know why the smoketrail effects are doing that...it may be that I've messed up some velocity values. But even though it physically makes no sense, I like it...so for now it's staying like this.

(I really wish the forum allowed uploading images bigger than 256K. I can't even do screenshots with that, let alone animated GIFs.)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is one time where I prefer the original Kohr-Ah F.R.I.E.D. inspired effect instead of the replacement effect. The new effect would be good for a different missile though.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:This is one time where I prefer the original Kohr-Ah F.R.I.E.D. inspired effect instead of the replacement effect. The new effect would be good for a different missile though.
Eh. The old effect is glitchy and is based off a 2008 era graphics system. Only reason vanilla hasn't ditched is probably because no one uses the Kytryn stuff in the first place.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Don't Teraton sentinels still use the Kytryn blaster?
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:Don't Teraton sentinels still use the Kytryn blaster?
Yes, but people hardly ever see it. And it's not a very popular player weapon. The launcher on the other hand.....is actually not that bad, it's just that it never shows up (or the ammo never shows up).
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Kytryn blaster is probably not very popular because it is not seen often enough as it is. The most likely place to find a whole one is in a shop... unidentified. Who wants to gamble top dollar for a crapshoot? The weapon itself is very strong for its level, at least before power creep of Ares positron cannon and other high level weapons. Now it is probably on par or above average. Without additional level 9 nukes from Corporate Command (and other mods), I prefer Kytryn blaster over advanced tritium cannon.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Kytryn is actually near the bottom of the pack for level 9 weapons. The FPC has more range and, by virtue of being a particles weapon, higher DPS against anything that shoots back. The FPC also shreds internal structure because it's a particles weapon. The ATC is longer ranged, more enhanceable, and fires more shots with smaller hit boxes, reducing the tendency to be shot down. It might beat the heavy ion blaster on WMD grounds, but it certainly comes in well behind the FPC. The DI9 is lower tier damage, but otherwise has all the advantages of the FPC. The Kytryn would remain useful longer after leaving human space than the ATC or DI9, but it still falls behind the FPC and the FPC is farmable reliably even before you can reasonably have a reactor capable of powering it.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Pretty much. I actually *like* the Kytryn blaster....it's just not very good. I'm still thinking about how to change it to make it a bit more user-friendly....I might end up just making it require less power and have greater range than the FPC so it has a bit of a niche there.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Started work on a new batch of sounds for kinetic weapons. So far, 1 out of 5 has worked out. This isn't actually that bad for an initial run. This is definitely going to pad out the XML though....there's a lot of kinetics to deal with.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ferian Plasma Cannon has less range (about 48) than Kytryn Blaster (about 64). FPC also has 100 DPS max vs. Kytryn's 121.875 average, although thanks to FPC's particles, they tend to break stations at about the same rate. The main advantages of Ferian Plasma Cannon is it is much easier to obtain and it can mine asteroids.

Advanced Tritium Cannon... I do not like to use it because I break it sooner or later. Aside from that, ATC overheats after 6.66 seconds of continuous fire (which is not enough time for hard fights, at least if unenhanced). Continuous fire has 300 DPS. If player shoots slow enough to not heat up the weapon, that is 2.5 shots per second, and DPS plunges to 75; that is appallingly weak given the recent power creep of level 7 and 8 thermo weapons. If I want to use ammoless thermo weapon, I would go for the Hecates cannon (which surpassed FusionFire thanks to said power creep).

Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Shrike wrote:Pretty much. I actually *like* the Kytryn blaster....it's just not very good. I'm still thinking about how to change it to make it a bit more user-friendly....I might end up just making it require less power and have greater range than the FPC so it has a bit of a niche there.
You don't have to make each and every weapon balanced at every level. This is a rogue game and testing things out are part of it. However making low, medium, and high tier weapons for each level is a good idea.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Kourtious wrote:
Shrike wrote:Pretty much. I actually *like* the Kytryn blaster....it's just not very good. I'm still thinking about how to change it to make it a bit more user-friendly....I might end up just making it require less power and have greater range than the FPC so it has a bit of a niche there.
You don't have to make each and every weapon balanced at every level. This is a rogue game and testing things out are part of it. However making low, medium, and high tier weapons for each level is a good idea.
I don't have to, but it's a fun challenge. Besides, I'm still working on new plasma sounds, so I have to overwrite it anyway.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

New heavy ion sound added in. Currently it's only on the heavy ion blaster.

Kinetics are proving somewhat tricky. I'll probably have to mix up 3-5 different sounds in order to get it sounding decent....having everything use the good sound I've made thus far can feel odd when a lot of ships are firing at once. Works nicely for the DK10 though, so it's definitely staying on that one.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:Ferian Plasma Cannon has less range (about 48) than Kytryn Blaster (about 64). FPC also has 100 DPS max vs. Kytryn's 121.875 average, although thanks to FPC's particles, they tend to break stations at about the same rate. The main advantages of Ferian Plasma Cannon is it is much easier to obtain and it can mine asteroids.

Advanced Tritium Cannon... I do not like to use it because I break it sooner or later. Aside from that, ATC overheats after 6.66 seconds of continuous fire (which is not enough time for hard fights, at least if unenhanced). Continuous fire has 300 DPS. If player shoots slow enough to not heat up the weapon, that is 2.5 shots per second, and DPS plunges to 75; that is appallingly weak given the recent power creep of level 7 and 8 thermo weapons. If I want to use ammoless thermo weapon, I would go for the Hecates cannon (which surpassed FusionFire thanks to said power creep).
The main advantage of the FPC over the Kytryn blaster is that particles weapons effectively use their damage as their HP and always trump beams while normal projectiles have piddling HP and tend to wind up mutually annihilating against everything.

And if you use any thermo weapon when level 9 gear is on the the table and aren't enhancing it to the limit you're using the wrong gun. ATC enhanced kills things fast and misses don't cost nearly as much as misses with a howitzer.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:And if you use any thermo weapon when level 9 gear is on the the table and aren't enhancing it to the limit you're using the wrong gun. ATC enhanced kills things fast and misses don't cost nearly as much as misses with a howitzer.
I just tried +150% ATC, and while it is decent, it cannot kill a Phobos or dominate other worst-case scenario endgame fights before the weapon overheats. I do not trust myself at not overheating and breaking temperature weapons during a heated moment. Thus, I do not use ATC if I can get comparable or better weapons. If I want to use +150% thermo weapon, I would use either Hecates if I want ammoless or TM7 cannon if I am willing to suffer ammo for power.