Project Renegade

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I painted a bunch of new textures, and re-did a few of my old ones, now that I'm somewhat more competent. I'm avoiding re-texturing and re-rendering all my older models, but I might end up doing it anyway.

Here's a look at some of my new textures on a station model I'm working on.
Attachments
Station03.jpg
Station03.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 11296 times
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
skaianDestiny
Miner
Miner

Looks great! I assume it's not in-game size?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

skaianDestiny wrote:Looks great! I assume it's not in-game size?
That...would be slightly terrifying. So slightly I wouldn't even be the least bit scared. Because size is never indicative of power or the number of guns it has, right? Right?! :shock:

(Seriously love the model, though; keep the awesomeness coming! :) )
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

skaianDestiny wrote:Looks great! I assume it's not in-game size?
Heh, no, I uploaded the unscaled image so there would be more texture detail, but in retrospect it doesn't show off the textures all that well anyway.

Here's about the size the station will appear in-game.
Attachments
station04.jpg
station04.jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 11272 times
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I should probably talk a bit about actual functional stuff, huh?

Powers are based on ship upgrades. Based on how you play, there will be different upgrades available to you. The first level power is "Impulse", which temporarily boosts thrust and max speed. The duration this lasts will be based on ship level - at level one, you just get a couple seconds, which is usually enough to outrun a lot of early game threats.

One of the second-tier powers is "Overclock", which temporarily boosts damage on installed energy weapons. You get this along with a computer upgrade (which has other story-related uses as well)

The system isn't complete yet. Its hard to come up with powers that both 1) make sense as a ship upgrade, and 2) are actually useful.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (94.35 KiB) Viewed 11234 times
skaianDestiny
Miner
Miner

I can contribute some ideas if you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:Its hard to come up with powers that both 1) make sense as a ship upgrade, and 2) are actually useful.
Back before Near Stars I made a post on making more player classes. These were my proposals for a CDM merc. George didn't wind up using any of the ideas except hack weapons, which is ripped off the Sung anyways. If you want ideas they're available.
Atarlost wrote: The CDM algorithms might be stuff like

a) prioritize engine: temporarily increase top speed and thrust at the expense of fuel
b) repair: removes status effects and sometimes repairs damaged installed devices
c) prioritize weapons: reduce shield resists but increase weapon damage
d) prioritize shields: increase shield resists but reduce weapon damage
e) enhanced scan: nebulae no longer impair LRS (passive)
f) hack shields: as the Sung cyberdeck
g) optimize equipment: as ingenuity
h) hack weapons: as the Sung cyberdeck
i) algorithm mastery: algorithm cubes no longer consumed when used unless more than one used within X ticks(passive)
j) ?

The shield cyberdeck is lower level than the weapon cyberdeck because instantly dropping NPC shields is rarely worth much in 1.0x. The prioritize algorithms should be mutually exclusive and probably last until deactivated.

The CDM merc in this conception would be kind of like a Tome of Battle classes with lots of stances and the ability to throw off nasty effects. There are no blast spells, but the cyberdecks are kind of like combat maneuvers.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

skaianDestiny wrote:I can contribute some ideas if you want.
Feel free to offer suggestions/feedback on anything in the thread. I can't promise I'll use any of it, but I'll consider it.
Atarlost wrote: Back before Near Stars I made a post on making more player classes. These were my proposals for a CDM merc. George didn't wind up using any of the ideas except hack weapons, which is ripped off the Sung anyways. If you want ideas they're available.
The enhanced LRS one is something I'm considering as a plot-critical device, but I hadn't considered that for a power. I'll think about that one.

I really like the idea of a "repair" function for weapons and devices, though. I might try to implement that.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I think a power that increases maneuverability would be helpful, especially for anyone who gets bogged down by all that ammo they've been hoarding. Obviously not guilty of this myself... >.>
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

catfighter wrote:I think a power that increases maneuverability would be helpful, especially for anyone who gets bogged down by all that ammo they've been hoarding. Obviously not guilty of this myself... >.>
This is why I don't use ammo weaponry. I don't trust myself to conserve munitions at a reasonable level.

On the topic of powers, spawning weapons fire could be a good one. For example, a medium - tier power that launches a Medusa - esque missile when you need a bit of extra firepower would be fairly useful in a pinch, and hasn't been done before.

A 'salvage' power that adds some loot to nearby wrecks would also be reasonable(you'd need to mark already salvaged wrecks so that they are not salvaged more than once).

Launching a temporary auton or calling in a temporary wingman would also be a reasonable, unique power.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I could offer a few ideas:
» Some sort of mapping power, or possibly two — one for friendlies, one for hostiles.
» Temporary fire rate increase.
» Temporarily set the currently selected weapon as omnidirectional.
» Hack the currently selected target to temporarily change their orders.
» Temporarily make shields reflect energy or matter weapons.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Even just mapping stargates would be better than the entire CDM power set and better than everything in the Domina set except nebular sight.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've always wanted to be able to dump something behind me which would destroy or damage ships that are chasing me. Something like a barrel of really powerful explosive or acid. But a power that leaves a gravity or temporal rift or something similar directly behind your ship as you flee that would tear an enemy ship apart as it flies though it would do.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

relanat wrote:I've always wanted to be able to dump something behind me which would destroy or damage ships that are chasing me. Something like a barrel of really powerful explosive or acid. But a power that leaves a gravity or temporal rift or something similar directly behind your ship as you flee that would tear an enemy ship apart as it flies though it would do.
Have you tried turning around and shooting them?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:
relanat wrote:I've always wanted to be able to dump something behind me which would destroy or damage ships that are chasing me. Something like a barrel of really powerful explosive or acid. But a power that leaves a gravity or temporal rift or something similar directly behind your ship as you flee that would tear an enemy ship apart as it flies though it would do.
Have you tried turning around and shooting them?
Totally overrated. ;) Just fly in circles while drifting slowly towards a friendly station and let them do the dirty work for you. It's fun, gives tons of free loot (one way or the other), and makes them look like a total idiot for not landing a single shot, even with an omni-weapon(s).

While on the subject, the AI definitely needs some way to account for such flight patterns. I got the Huari to destroy every last one of their own Huaramarcan stations without giving or taking a single blow. That's 6 slam cannons x almost 2 dozen destroyers + 5 howitzers. I should not be able to escape completely unscathed just by doing the loopdy-doop.