Project Renegade

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

catfighter wrote:
Atarlost wrote:
relanat wrote:I've always wanted to be able to dump something behind me which would destroy or damage ships that are chasing me. Something like a barrel of really powerful explosive or acid. But a power that leaves a gravity or temporal rift or something similar directly behind your ship as you flee that would tear an enemy ship apart as it flies though it would do.
Have you tried turning around and shooting them?
Totally overrated. ;) Just fly in circles while drifting slowly towards a friendly station and let them do the dirty work for you. It's fun, gives tons of free loot (one way or the other), and makes them look like a total idiot for not landing a single shot, even with an omni-weapon(s).

While on the subject, the AI definitely needs some way to account for such flight patterns. I got the Huari to destroy every last one of their own Huaramarcan stations without giving or taking a single blow. That's 6 slam cannons x almost 2 dozen destroyers + 5 howitzers. I should not be able to escape completely unscathed just by doing the loopdy-doop.
There is no solution. I don't just mean it's difficult, there's actually no solution.
Literally is the new Figuratively
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote: There is no solution. I don't just mean it's difficult, there's actually no solution.
Well, you could have them spread out their shots once enough of them have missed.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

One thing I'd like to solicit ideas for is the title of the extension.

Initially I wasn't going to even make a thread until I had moved past the codename stage, but it looks like the last thing I'm going to get around to. Ideally, I'd like a name that's cool and memorable - Corporate Command and Eternity Port both fit that bill.

If nothing else, the finished extension will just be called Renegade, but I'd like to hear your suggestions.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Going over some factions again to bring their graphics up to par This is the Vanguard-class gunship, belonging to the Varukisas Aggressors faction. These ships command a flight of autons and are a fairly common low level encounter.

It wasn't intended to look like a Charon frigate, but it works :p
Attachments
Vanguard2.jpg
Vanguard2.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That thing looks awesome! If you want to do something really cool, have it replenish killed autons up to a certain amount, then gate once it runs out of them.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The largest ship in the Cloudskipper fleet - the Skeiron Dragoon. Its many wings are actually for harvesting traces of exotic elements that occur in nebulae, which are used extensively in the faction's armaments.

Here's a link to a GIF of the full rotation, because it totally deserves it. This is probably as elegant as I'll ever make a ship. At least for now.
Attachments
Skeiron.jpg
Skeiron.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 11882 times
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Um...WOW :shock: . That's really good, if you will excuse the understatement of the year.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Massive. Jealousy. :shock: Seriously, I want lessons in modeling/rendering someday.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

A couple new weapon effects.

Also, on the bottom is an externally-mounted autoturret (with its own overlay graphic). These fire automatically on nearby hostiles, but they use low-powered weapons and are hard to get, so hopefully this isn't too unbalanced.
NewEffects.jpg
NewEffects.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 11807 times
As for my schedule on release:

Currently I'm in the late stages of pre-alpha. A closed alpha will come out alongside 1.7, as I'm waiting on some new API features.

At the very latest, the first open release will come in the spring - I'll be unable to work on the extension during the summer, so it'll be released before then regardless of how complete it is, but I'll be aiming to finish within the next couple months.

Right now the amount of content is somewhere in between CC and EP, but I'm aiming to rival EP in terms of content by the time I'm finished.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Zoanthrope horde!
Horde.jpg
Horde.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 11763 times
Going for a kind of "older ship" aesthetic. Made 'em sort of blocky, trying for an 80's tech feel.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The Trask models are definitely looking professional. The rate at which you've become skilled at this is astonishing.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:The Trask models are definitely looking professional. The rate at which you've become skilled at this is astonishing.
I would encourage anyone with limited modelling skills to put some time in like I have, considering my experience (with Blender in particular) was pretty limited when I started.
Attachments
Autofac2.jpg
Autofac2.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 11717 times
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Lots of progress recently.

Finalized the "transuranic" system type, as well as the transuranic planet and asteroid graphics.
Also decided on the final design for The Citadel. I'm coming up close on finishing up all the graphical assets - pretty soon I'll just have missions left to finish up.
Attachments
The Citadel.jpg
The Citadel.jpg (96.16 KiB) Viewed 11658 times
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

How've you been creating the little windows on all your stations? This has always puzzled me when I look at models because few people would be willing to spend the time to draw every single one out.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."