galactic map probe ideas please

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Although Part I is fairly linear and difficult to get lost in, other adventures and Part I additions can make travelling around a little bit difficult. TX3s, Domina help and the nodes on the galactic map help with this but it is still possible to get confused about where to go. Especially for new players who may not know about these features.

I had an idea for a probe that could be launched from the playership which explored the next couple of systems and gave the player navigation information.

But I'm not sure of the best way to do this.
My initial thought was to have the player launch the probe near a stargate, the probe would then gate and after a short time gate back in. Or just send nav information and expire.

The next two systems would be set known to help the player find their way. But this requires the player to know where the stargate is beforehand, which is often a problem to begin with.

Any thoughts, especially from players who have had trouble finding their way?
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Derakon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Rather than making a new auton, why not add rumors at Commonwealth stations that let the player learn more about the current or upcoming systems? There's a few rumors that grant knowledge about local stations; I don't see why they couldn't grant knowledge about stargates or systems further out as well.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

To be honest i see no need for a function or auton for this. Exploring itself gives u the ''G is for jumping true a stargate'' info. A new system that is blank, (altho recently changed whit some things revealed) is part of the fun adventure and exploration.

For example, the explorer auton helps, but youl miss those stash-spots whit Ronins(c) protecting their cans along whit ''loot wrecks'' that are seeded around.

In fact if voted or poll, i would go for blank systems, and even the removal of explorer autons.

As for the explorer auton itself... slap an stealth armor on it from your local thinkerer... enjoy ;-)