What do YOU want for 1.09?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

alterecco wrote:It has often been discussed why Transcendence does no have a larger viewport, or why it does not just grow it's viewport to fit the screen. As it stands, the current 1023x768 size is set based on a minimum viable screen. It might be interesting to open up the question as to whether that does not match the current generation of players. As to the question of the viewport being resolution dependent, the argument that it is unbalancing still stands. Perhaps we should suggest an upgrade to 1280x720?
Unbalancing in what sense?

It's a single player game; the nascent online mode might be introducing a somewhat competitive environment, but for the most part players are playing in a vacuum. Allowing varying resolutions is no more destabilising than allowing players to download the "Ultra Kill Omni Murder Bomb" Mod from Xelerus is. Perhaps if protecting the integrity of the highscore ladder is a major concern then only high scores that are set while playing at the default resolution should be counted.

If people are worried that allowing large resolutions will make the game too easy, I'd say that it's a ship that's already sailed. Like I mentioned above, there are plenty of mods that will give you far more of an advantage than an increased visible area ever could. If people want to play with a more constrained viewport then I'd assume that any resolution change would also come with an option to select your resolution in the menu. Thus, we're all happy. People like me who will never look at the ladder will be happily playing at 2560x1600, people who like the traditional size or who are playing on netbooks will be able to continue to do so without an issue, and people who are chasing ladder rankings will have the peace of mind that they're competing on an even playing field. Seems fair to me.

Apologies is this is an old discussion here and I'm inadvertently beating a dead horse, but I haven't been around these forums long enough to know for sure. A quick search didn't bring up anything salient at least.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I agree with Neuromancer. Make the current resolution the minimum, and if the player has a bigger screen, allow the option to show more of the screen. If that is not fair, so what? Even Diablo II, which has multiplayer capability, offered two resolutions.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
christian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

On my screen I have a 3cm blank....
:cry:
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Neuromancer wrote: Apologies is this is an old discussion here and I'm inadvertently beating a dead horse, but I haven't been around these forums long enough to know for sure. A quick search didn't bring up anything salient at least.
Nothing wrong in bringing this up again. Transcendence is in a lot of ways balanced around the current viewport size. That does not mean that experimenting with higher resolutions would not be a good thing, it just means that jumping blindly into it is not a good option.

Personally i would agree with you, and i encourage a positive discussion about this subject and its repercussions / required changes.

Part of the game and the community has its root in the nethack/rogue camp, so maybe sometimes things seem horribly restrictive (items are unidentified, no saving, occasionally whacky rng). That does not mean that a good point is discarded for no reason, it just needs to take the game and it's community into consideration (and one must be willing to endure real debate :)
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Balance is overrated these days. It is useful tool, but when it leads to frustration or excessive homogeny, it harms the game.

Another suggestion: Option for hardcore mode, in which permadeath is enforced, just like in Diablo II. Insurance would be useful then, instead of being worse than useless now.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

alterecco wrote:
Neuromancer wrote: Apologies is this is an old discussion here and I'm inadvertently beating a dead horse, but I haven't been around these forums long enough to know for sure. A quick search didn't bring up anything salient at least.
Nothing wrong in bringing this up again. Transcendence is in a lot of ways balanced around the current viewport size. That does not mean that experimenting with higher resolutions would not be a good thing, it just means that jumping blindly into it is not a good option.

Personally i would agree with you, and i encourage a positive discussion about this subject and its repercussions / required changes.

Part of the game and the community has its root in the nethack/rogue camp, so maybe sometimes things seem horribly restrictive (items are unidentified, no saving, occasionally whacky rng). That does not mean that a good point is discarded for no reason, it just needs to take the game and it's community into consideration (and one must be willing to endure real debate :)
The comparison to Rogue on another forum is what brought me to this game, so I certainly appreciate the roots. I would agree that a large part of the attraction of this game is the randomness and uncertainty inherent in the dynamically generated systems and item names. That you don't know whether a barrel is going to help or harm you until you try it out. (Though to an extent this isn't true after a while; I know which device the Transspace Jumpdrive is whether it's identified or not because it's the only device that weighs 5 Tons, likewise with a lot of other mods) In fact, I wouldn't mind if the game was a bit more random and uncertain.

I don't feel that the arbitrary screen size restriction falls into this category. I would argue that it's an unnecessary restriction that doesn't add to the game. Each of the other gameplay choices you mentioned add to the game somehow; unidentified items mean that for the most part the experience is fresh and new each time you play, as does the RNG generating different systems each time you play and screwing you out of targeting roms. No saving means that you really value the decisions you make and the consequences thereof, it encourages you to take the game more seriously than you would otherwise.

There'll probably be unintended consequences and some things might need to be rebalanced, but I think it would be worth the effort.
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

And what about add some more Autons?
In the game there are 7 different Autons and none of them is military, neither illegal :!:
So I think that adding some military Autons would be nice.
Note: Those Autons could only be used if you have a military ID :P
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.
TheLastBrunnenG
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

NOTE: these are wishes from 1.06 and earlier, because I skipped versions to 1.08b after that. I haven't tested these under 1.08b, so please LMK if these are good to go now.

For 1.09, I'd like the ability to use <device chance="XX" ...> or <table>s of Devices for stations. In previous versions that caused a crash; you could only have randomized devices on ships without resorting to kludgy hacks.

For 1.09, I'd like the ability to use ImageVariant for ships. I can't think of a reason this wouldn't work, as long as the appropriate masks are available. I know there are overlay and ship-switching functions, but it's much easier to specify the variants in the ship's <image> rather than through external functions.

For 1.09, I'd like the ability to specify a <configuration> for Fragments so we can easily control the number and placement of fragments instead of doing it through nested sub-fragments or OnFragment events with sysCreateWeaponFire.

For 1.09, I'd like the ability to use multiple ammo types on non-launcher ammo-using weapons (eg., Dragonfly / Thermo / Kiloton / etc.). All it would take is binding a new "switch ammo" key. Maybe TAB to switch launcher ammo type, SHIFT-TAB to switch non-launcher ammo type. Or any key, just please enable it.
Vaiyo A-O
A Home Va Ya Ray
Vaiyo A-Rah
Jerhume Brunnen G
ImageImage
CYRUS KGABO
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I WANT NEW ENERMIES AND NEW SHIPS AND NEW ELLIGAL STUFF AND WEAPONS AND ALSO BUILD A NAMI STATION.ALSO ADD NEW PILOTS WE CAN MAKE OUR SQUADRENS AND GIVE US THE ABILITY TO UPGRADE OUR SQUADRENS WEAPONS AND OTHER THINGS IN THEIR SHIPS AT OUR EXPENSE
FM3VP
Anarchist
Anarchist

CYRUS There's already mods out there that do that.
Add me on Steam: FM_VP
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

CYRUS KGABO wrote:I WANT NEW ENERMIES AND NEW SHIPS AND NEW ELLIGAL STUFF AND WEAPONS AND ALSO BUILD A NAMI STATION.ALSO ADD NEW PILOTS WE CAN MAKE OUR SQUADRENS AND GIVE US THE ABILITY TO UPGRADE OUR SQUADRENS WEAPONS AND OTHER THINGS IN THEIR SHIPS AT OUR EXPENSE
Welcome to the forums, CYRUS ...

Umm, I hope this is a bit of silliness on your part, CYRUS KGABO, and I suspect it might be because:
freenode IRC wrote: 0942 freenode -- Wallops from RICHIH (~richih@FREENODE/STAFF/RICHIH): HI ALL! THIS IS TO LET YOU KNOW THAT TODAY IS CAPS LOCK DAY. AS ALWAYS, THANK YOU FOR BURROWING FREENODE EARTH
But if it's not ... please don't post much in allcaps (a FEW WORDS in a row is ok for emphasis imo),

There are already mods that let you do some of what you want -- playership drones lets you buy new wingmen and upgrade them and stuff, and makes a lot more ships flyable both from the start and as upgrades; it's got a bunch of submodules due to filesize limits on so what I'm going to link you to the List of playership drones modules

The mod Dealer Stations adds Nami, Earth Industries, and a couple other stores to complete the corporate hierarchy.

There are a LOT of mods that add weapons and ships and stuff. And a few that add new trade goods and stuff. Also look for 'new wingmen' for more regular wingmen wingmen.
asam3
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I just wish.

- New starting ship. The earth class ship (the small rectangle one) seems nice. Or the circle one.
- More features with regards to the Arena Maximus. More fights after you win I guess? Like, you can join the next season of the Arena Maximus, where the enemies scale with how strong your ship is. Also, put a "clean clutter" option to the Arena, sometimes my missiles gets wasted cause it hits the dead ships.
- Of course, the all favorite "ship-swapping" in the middle of the game. By St. Katharine, there should already be a shop offering a better ship for you and/or can upgrade your speed to have more thrust, item slots, inventory space and such. More like a "tweak" shop.
- Tinkers should be able to repair broken weapons/armors/items, up to level VI. Most of the time they just say that "that junk is not useful to us" or something.
- Improvements in mining. Such as more use with the ores.
- Black Market improvements. More weapons/armors that are illegal(so they should be strong, right?). My last game I was using a military weapon, cause it was stronger than a black market one/is sold by the black market, but shouldn't there be some sort of "equivalent" of it for the black market? Like a tweaked military weapon or something?
- More helpful non-weapon devices like patch spiders and arms. Also, please let use have the power to fix broken patch spider and arms.
- That trade shop with the ads, let us order more than once, just increase the price depending on how far the package is and how heavy/many it is. You know, shipping price. I mean, it doesn't make sense that we can only order once in every shop.
- More life in earlier star systems. You know, more traffic, stations, and such. It should decrease only after St. Katharine's. I mean, it's randomly generated, but I've repeated the game several times now, and most of the star systems only have like 6-7 stations.
- Dead stations should have a chance to be repaired after some time. Be it enemy or ally stations. If not, there should be a chance for it to be inhabited by enemies/scavengers/beggars/etc.
- More mini quests. Like, when you destroy a station, you get an item, example, a locket, and you return it to the rightful owner, and then you check all the stations, and you see the owner in a empty cargo crate, then he gives you nothing but a barrel of centauri rice in return cause he's poor. Stuff like that made me want Transcendence, so yeah, add some of those. You know, add more quests like, you see a note with the coordinates (blah blah blah), you pinpointed it in your map to see what's there. Then you see a crate, inside is a picture, then you wonder why one of the persons in the photo has it's head torn off, then you go to Sisters of Domina, and they say that she is one of them before, stuff like that.

Hmm... that's all I can think of for now.
Encrypting messages into optical arrays, one cube at a time...

E5DCM-I921G-7R1E3 - A beta code for some game. Might want to ask me back at it's original site for the correct one though. Better be fast, not that patient here.

I'll be observing from afar.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

W000t anger timeout is in!
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
asam3
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I remember something now!

Hunting missions and Mercenary jobs!
Encrypting messages into optical arrays, one cube at a time...

E5DCM-I921G-7R1E3 - A beta code for some game. Might want to ask me back at it's original site for the correct one though. Better be fast, not that patient here.

I'll be observing from afar.
andrewpen
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but a co-op LAN or muliplayer mode could be cool
when life throws you a curve ball catch it and throw it back.