Question: Mouse

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I notice the functionality of using the mouse to point at items during inventory/shops, but what do you think about using the functionality of the mouse outside of that?

Examples:
-In map mode or normal mode, you can put navigation points in case you want to flag a wreck because you've run out of cargo space and want to go back.

-selectively target without going through the next friendly/enemy key.

-select multiple targets
Bokasha
Anarchist
Anarchist

A mouse curser target would be nice for dealing with large groups where you want to take out a certain ship or type of ship first without having to cycle through the entire group to find it....
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Some sort of manual omni weapon could be interesting; mouse aimed, right click to toggle between that and a fixed configuration.

I personally don't use the mouse when I'm playing. The keyboard shortcuts are much easier to use, especially once you're familiar with them.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ditto
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

still, placing markers on the map sounds interesting... if it can remember names to stations, and map all the bodies and stations in the system, why can't it remember and name a coordinate?
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'd really be in favor of little tiny beacon items that you could use instead. Dirt cheap, maybe 5 credits each. Dockable so you could change the text to be displayed. But maybe just being able to do this with the mouse on the map would work. Beacon thingies would be more fun. :P
> = = = = ۞
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Little tiny beacon things... should i make them? i have a rename objects dockscreen waiting for a use...

EDIT: i finished the mod before a reply, 10 credit beacons that can be dropped, renamed, and recovered, but also destroyed.

EDIT2: this topic was not for mods, but now since beacons are done it can focus on the subject, uses for the mouse.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hah, nice.

The burning question, really, is that of "Do we need to use the mouse?"

I'm not entirely certain we do. The keyboard control scheme is currently two handed; anytime I end up using the mouse I have to take my hands off the controls. I typically keep my left hand on the 'M' and 'A' keys with my right working the arrows for transits, and then move the left over to the control and shift keys, with my pinky on the '.' key.

I think the litmus test for any proposed mouse function needs to be 'Can we do this with the keyboard instead?' There's no need to clutter things up.

On the other hand, I used to play an independend Star Control 2 sequel/clone, which used a WASD control scheme. L-Control and Spacebar fired your weaponse, so you could have your three middle fingers on the steering, and your pinky and thumb on the weapons. This was very conducive to mouse use. Clicking on moving objects wasn't so easy, though.
> = = = = ۞
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

On the other hand, I used to play an independend Star Control 2 sequel/clone, which used a WASD control scheme. L-Control and Spacebar fired your weaponse, so you could have your three middle fingers on the steering, and your pinky and thumb on the weapons. This was very conducive to mouse use. Clicking on moving objects wasn't so easy, though.
I like this. You'd have to move the docking, weaponswitch and autopilot keys but they don't really have to be assigned to equivalent letters- Put them in HJK and then all the useful keys cluster in the same place around the Y key.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

or better yet, allow the player to configure keymap!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Fossaman wrote:I'd really be in favor of little tiny beacon items that you could use instead. Dirt cheap, maybe 5 credits each. Dockable so you could change the text to be displayed. But maybe just being able to do this with the mouse on the map would work. Beacon thingies would be more fun. :P

Love that idea. But I don't think you could do that with a mod.

Here's what I'm thinking:
- Like the Baricaded, you can deploy them, but use what ever code that makes the mule auton show up. The text would be fixed, I don't see any way around that with a mod, but it would me like "Personal Marker ID"

Anyone up to the challenge? :D
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Love that idea. But I don't think you could do that with a mod.

Anyone up to the challenge? :D
Which idea specifically are you referring to?
if it's changing text/name that appears, check the mod i put a few posts up, it lets you rename the beacon to whatever, and very similar code could change the name of anything you can target(ever been disintegrated by the "buddy" in the Heretic system? i have...).

using the mouse cannot be done with an extension unless i have somehow missed some very powerful features.

making something appear on the map is simple as giving it a dockscreen and not including the nomapicon="true", or whatever it is, i didn't check to be sure that's the right line of code.