Custom Tinker creations

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

So, the wording in that guy's review of Transcendence (see my post here) gave me this idea - how about you get to create your own weapons (and by extension, armor and such) at the Tinkers? If you've ever played Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, you'll know that you can make your own spells and enchant items. It'll be something like that.

You go to the Tinkers, dock, and go to Weapon Creation. There, you put in what damage type you want, how much damage you want it to do, etc. The power requirement and value are worked out through some sort of formula that I do not have the mathematical skill to devise.

Of course, this isn't free - you need to pay money (amount dependent on said formula) for them to make it for you.
Also, to prevent players from building dark fire weapons at the start of the game, some sort of skill level wuld have to be introduced to the tinkers - for example, tinkers of skill 5 and above can build weapons with damage types of up to the fifth damage type (gone are the days when I knew the tier off-by-heart...).
Another factor could be the value of the item being created - say, for example, a skill 5 tinker can't ceate anything that will be worth more than 10,000 credits.

It would probably be for the best to showcase this idea as a mod, but I have no idea how I'd do that. Maybe one of the newer, more talented modding folks could try their hand at this?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The only problem with this is why ever use any other weapons once this is in? If you can always make your favorite type of weapon it takes alot away from the exploring part of the game. Maybe it would work if you can only make single shot weapons but it doesn't make the problem go away.

If I could make any weapon I wanted I would make a constant damage weapon (would be cheaper than a range of damage) with a higher damage type (thermo or positron) with a descent fire rate.

maybe with some formulas it would seem more feasible.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

just thinking some more on this and it can be workable as a cash sink. It would always be far more expensive to get weapons this way if the formula is done right (don't put a cash cap on it though)
While you might not be guaranteed certain weapons you are basically guaranteed a certain level of weapons so you can limit what you create from the system level the tinkerer is in.
Crying is not a proper retort!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

besides the cash and level system of controlling the weapons you can create, what about "you need to bring objects or devices to the tinkers in order to create the weapon"

You want to create a weapon? bring in capacitors, heat sinks, base turret, an appropriate level nozzle (otherwise it will misfire), etc.

You want a custom shield? bring in crystals, shield emitters and so on.

Some of the high level objects could be also obtained only with quests, making exploration fundamental in order to make the weapon.

More quests, more exploration, more fun :)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I was thinking of doing this, custom weapons and deivces made out of wokring items.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ttech wrote:I was thinking of doing this, custom weapons and deivces made out of wokring items.
This has been done before, I think. There are SOME items you could use. I just forget which ones.... oh, barrels of nuclear waste, barrels of nanorepair bots. There are some more or less.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dorne wrote:
Ttech wrote:I was thinking of doing this, custom weapons and deivces made out of wokring items.
This has been done before, I think. There are SOME items you could use. I just forget which ones.... oh, barrels of nuclear waste, barrels of nanorepair bots. There are some more or less.
yeah, but I mean adding A LOT more. :)