Ore Looting- Why is it so different?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Every other thing you dock against to [L]oot uses the L key... but mined ore uses the ring Aboard command, and [L]eave. This starts getting frustrating to muscle memory. Can it be standardized a bit so L isn't the undock command? Appreciated.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

There are already some mods out there which make mining, identifying and looting ore a bit easier.
and lots of others

However I would also appreciate some changes to mining in "vanilla" transcendence.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I don't want automated looting (especially since it doesn't tell me what I'm looting); I want, in vanilla, the looting of mined ore to follow the same loot format as every other lootable. It's a real muscle memory curse to dock against it, hit L to [L]oot, only to [L]eave for no reason, when normally you don't leave until you're [D]one.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I agree. And at least the first dock screen could be removed, so you see right away what kind of are is there, without having to press "b". I also wouldnt mind if the named ore extension would show up in vanilla - but would appreciate more drastic changes to mining.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yes, that first dockscreen doesn't really make much sense to exist, honestly- when you pull all the ore aboard, it puts you back to that, as if you were still docked to ore... When you're not.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

personally my fingers don't move off the [A]utoPilot and [D]ock keys when I am not shooting.

during the screen use your mouse: after you loot the station/ ore, just hit the key again and it usually defaults to the next screen.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

If you think about it, you're not looting the ore since it disappears entirely when you take it. You are doing just what the command says, bringing it aboard.
As far as having to go back to a "dock" screen after you brought it aboard, that's just a program logic thing where it's easier just to go back through the same number of menus to finish up.
Don't worry, your fingers can learn plenty of keys.

Edit: Ergonomics, really? If that's the case you really need a new keyboard since the location of the keys isn't changing. Maybe a new chair or wrist pad. I've heard that helps.
If you're new I can understand wanting "L" but for anyone who's mined for even a week "B" is second nature and changing to "L" would throw the rest of us for a couple days, ok maybe hours.
Last edited by Vachtra on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ergonomics are more important than semantics.

If you want to get cute make it (L)oad ore, but make it L.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

I never noticed this cause I use 'enter' to go into the target's inventory for both wrecks and ore.

Which meant the Lockable Crates I saw in a test version of the mining pack cheezed me off cause they bring up a 'set password' screen when you hit enter :D

Umm, Vachtra, unless you edited your post after Atarlost replied (which isn't a great way to use edit, the extra post would make the flow of conversation far more understandable), you're the first person to bring up ergonomics, which isn't the same thing as muscle memory ...