What do YOU want for 1.09?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

andrewpen wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned before but a co-op LAN or muliplayer mode could be cool
Co-op/LAN gaming has been on the wishlist for ages now, but it's currently not possible. The engine really can't handle more than one player at a time right now. Let alone the AI, which at times fails at just one player. The other problem would be balance: Realistically speaking, you'd need an entirely seperate campaign/deathmatch setting for multiplayer gameplay, a means of simulating/synchronising two system at once, etc.

That said, a lot of us would support such a feature if it ever becomes possible to do MP co-op/deathmatch. Not for 1.09 (since the engine REALLY can't handle it), but for a future version, or if there's ever a serious engine revision, co-op would be a nice thing to take into consideration. Transcendence has some unique aspects that could make multiplayer games pretty interesting if done well. Especially if the implementation used the Multiverse to allow playing over larger distances (since our community is really, REALLY scattered).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

um... To honor Capt. Neil Armstrong & the Apollo 11 crew (Aldrin & Collins), can George please include their names in the commonwealth stations names? :)
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I would really like to see Multiplayer features in the game.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Star Control (2) featured head-to-head melee. If Transcendence featured multiplayer, it could be like Timewarp.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PM wrote:Star Control (2) featured head-to-head melee. If Transcendence featured multiplayer, it could be like Timewarp.
Now I hafta try out Timewarp :D

but... http://sc2.sourceforge.net Ur-Quan Masters (the fanbase relaunch of SC2) actually does feature PVP ^_^

Multi-player anything over the 'Net is a massive headache of code tho.
dosbox-gamer
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Dedalo wrote:And what about add some more Autons?
In the game there are 7 different Autons and none of them is military, neither illegal :!:
So I think that adding some military Autons would be nice.
Note: Those Autons could only be used if you have a military ID :P
Try this: "Autons Extended 3+1" http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=982. I think it should satisfy for quite a while. There's military, illegal, standard and advanced autons, of all strengths and sizes (roughly 3 dozen in all), along with convoys that run them, and 2 new stations (including an Advanced Auton Dealer) to help find them. The code is tested stable through 1.08b, and you're free to mix and match as you see fit.

Don't forget, there is also the "Auton Overwrite" mod (by PM) -- http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1141, and the "Auton Assembly Hangar" http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=907 (also by PM). Both of these together improve enormously on the "Autons Extended" mod above (I should know -- I wrote it! :wink:)
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -- Daniel Hudson Burnham, architect & urban planner
dosbox-gamer
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

asam3 wrote:I just wish.
- Tinkers should be able to repair broken weapons/armors/items, up to level VI. Most of the time they just say that "that junk is not useful to us" or something.
Hmm... that's all I can think of for now.
I cannot speak to a straight Tinkers mod, but for more custom repairs, try this: http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1196. I just added it a few days ago! 8-)
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -- Daniel Hudson Burnham, architect & urban planner
dosbox-gamer
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

My two cents:

A) It's a little thing, but... a note in the README file (or on-line) about minimum system requirements. The first time I found Transcendence (on Wikipedia), I did not download it because, at the time I thought, well, there's another fine game my old (old) K6-2 system can't play... (as it turned out v0.96 played fine, just a little slowly).
B) A less conspicous log-in/register screen. Not everyone can be connected to the Internet all the time. (Thank you public library.)
C) In-game screen-shots/movies. You can get by with IrfanView or VLC, but it's a pain to go back and crop & relabel later.
D) Korolov shipping containers that you can open/rummage through if you have enough rank. Maybe they could be booby-trapped to keep pilfers away.
E) More shipyards - friendly & enemy. And missions for them?
F) More gates in key systems (Eridani, St. Kat's, etc) -- like a "lite" version of the Network, but less linear than the current game.
G) Dead-end systems? (See above.)
H) Systems with full-on battles already raging when you gate in (maybe something that overrides the Enemy Exclusion Distance variable in stations?)
I) Burned-out systems, where you have to fight hard to survive and move on...
J) A better way to sort cargo. Acid-resistant premium cargo crates, perhaps?
K) An update to the "official" download? Everyone else seems already off to 1.08g, I'm still stuck on .08b, and the "official" (front) download page still says 1.01. Huh?
L) An easy roll-back feature. It's most frustrating when, you finally get all your custom mods to load and play nice together, and then a new incremental revision goes and borks up everything again (and you can't tell why).
M) An on-line mod tester (for Xelerus)? Just upload your latest (beta) mod, and in a few seconds, see if it will load (at all), run with the latest version, or has duplicate UNIDs, "close tag does not match open", etc.
N) I know there are Mods of the Month on Xelerus. How about a Best of the Best lump set, one for each version (1.0X)?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I like best of the lump :D
Will bring it up on IRC right now.
*EDIT Ttech said okay, now all we have to do is make the polls....
Last edited by RPC on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see the source updated on git to the latest and a jjson api to play around with for stats and similar purposes!
Shivan Hunter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm here to shift paradigms and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

<+The_Shrike> If you install 2 solar panels, you will have 2 solar panels installed.
<DarthGeek|2> :o
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

RPC wrote:I like best of the lump :D
Will bring it up on IRC right now.
*EDIT Adran said okay, now all we have to do is make the polls....
Where is this going to be? (Does the topic exist yet?)
(Do Want an every version Modpack!)
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Not done yet Fourfire, will happen when someone on staff gets to it and makes the poll >.<
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Movement keys for strafing :twisted:

It's been suggested before, but I'd like to see [Down-Arrow] become a "Back Thrust" function, at some percentage the acceleration of the "Forward Thrust" function if needed for balance?

I'd also like to see a Right Thrust and Left Thrust (nerdgasm: creating a lateral acceleration vector) functionality added, although it would require binding two more keys and would not be usable with the typical arrow keys layout. It could be bound to the typical WASD layout of other 2D overhead perspective games, using [Q] and [E] (the 10-key/numpad would work well also, or IJKL w/ O & U), and again the functions could be balanced by making them only a percentage of the full acceleration provided by Forward-Thrust. The additional lateral movement capabilities would make for much more variety in space combat maneuvers, especially while using fixed-forward weapons. It would get really interesting once the AIs can be programmed to utilize lateral vectors as well, just imagine your NPC opponents actually dodging shots instead of just eating them or attempting to spin around and fly out of the way. As for realism, well, who says all the engines have to be pointing out the back side of your ship? Even the Space Shuttles have lots and lots of maneuvering jets pointing in all kinds of directions to achieve total vectoring control.

For more information about what the hell I'm pushing for, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_% ... e_strafing. Circle strafing is just one of many combat strategies enabled by lateral movement, but that Wiki article gets straight to the heart of the matter via the most common usage.

http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/ ... ing#p41234 Old thread asking for the same thing, but I didn't want to necro it. I searched Xelerus for any mods mentioning "strafe" but got no hits. I'm going to have to do a LOT of digging into the source code to find out how forward thrusting works, and learning to see if I can make a mod out of this, so if anybody has tried it before and/or has a mod out there already, please let me know, as I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, thanks!

I'm planning on finishing my Defiant playership before I take on any other new major projects, but I wanted to get this idea out of my head before I forget and another year goes by before it's mentioned again.

Edit: The keyword was "thrust" :oops: which showed me this: http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738 but that mod is for ver 1.01, and uses momentum factors generated by weapons fire, so not quite what I had in mind. I'm thinking more about having smooth acceleration on key-press, not a one time "shove" that has a cool-down.
erik dela cruz
Militia Captain
Militia Captain
Location: Patrolling Scarborough Shoal and the Spratlys Islands (West Philippine Sea)

I was playing 1.08l with WE5 & NW Devices in my Brittania when I remembered George's idea of a hacking practice in Point Juno ( I recall it was int the Hacking the Iocrym AI thread) and I said why the hell not? In WE5 even if Point Juno was heavily defended by Aquilas and defense turrets it still fell(what station wouldn't if Phoboses attack). Ergo, no Europa pass.

Now I support Georges' idea, why not give us the chance to hack the weapons vault of the Europa? (w/w/o Heisenmachine CPU). Add more powerful stuff in it as a bigger prize for success.^__^
.....cry without weeping......
.....talk without speaking......
.....scream without raising your voice......