What do YOU want for 1.09?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Schnobs
Miner
Miner

Patupi wrote: In station screens could use a scroll bar.
I don't think scrollbars would go over that well, with Trascendence being a point-less game and all.

But yes, sometime between StKat and Jiangs I start longing for a way to keep some order in my hold. Being able to flag some items as "personal effects", perhaps? So they get moved to the bottom of the list, or not displayed in shops? I never actually sold my military ID, but it was pretty close more than once. Occasionally I *do* sell the ammo for my secondary weapon. Oops. And will I ever need my Commonwealth Medal of Distinction or may I just sell it and be done with it? Navigation around that damned thing is quite annoying.

Perhaps the "easiest" route would be not a change to the current display, but adding a second, alternative browsing mode. By category, perhaps?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Schnobs wrote:Being able to flag some items as "personal effects", perhaps?
I like to see ID completely abstract like Nethack's intrinsics. Once gained, it shows up as an accomplishment.
Schnobs wrote:And will I ever need my Commonwealth Medal of Distinction or may I just sell it and be done with it?
Medals are useless. Dispose of them any way you want.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I second the ID 'ephemeral' thing, plus does anyone else have trouble with sub menu keys? B+B accidentally buying something you didn't want etc? Having the same key to get into a menu as one of the options IN that menu sucks (for me)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

(To Patupi) My worst double press experience was I+I (i.e., Shatter). All three wingmen died instantly. It ruined an otherwise perfect game. I think Desperate Escape and Shatter should either trade places or Shatter use the [J] key.

As for dockscreens, when I wrote Playership Drones, I had uy a ship, then uy this ship. Remembering my Shatter incident, I thought, people would be annoyed or angry if they just spent six-figure credits buying a ship they did not want. I changed it to hipyard, then uy this ship.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah, didn't catch the early version of that. Been 'S'+'B' for all the games with PSD4 I've done. Very cool mod btw. :)... though I think I've said that already haven't I... *sigh* Been a long day
Schnobs
Miner
Miner

PM wrote: I like to see ID completely abstract like Nethack's intrinsics. Once gained, it shows up as an accomplishment.
That would be even better -- for IDs. Still, can't you imagine having a few items you definitely don't want to sell by accident?
I solve this by putting them on an auton, but then I have to look after it, meet up when I need the stuff &c.

More generally, de-cluttering the hold would be, well, nice. Currently I have *lots* of luxuries: three boots, a case of this and two casks of that... might be two or three tons, all told, yet it makes up about half my inventory. When I want to sell it, I mean it. Until then, a single entry like "27 items of luxury goods" would suffice as a reminder that I still have them.

And about test-driving weapons (was that even in this thread?): what about the good old simulator? You might make that a special game mode, or offer it as a feature in the appropriate shops. Go and fight some enemies, only that you can't keep the loot. And when you die, you're back in the shop. They might even charge you a dime for using the sims.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A sim for weapons might be interesting (I can't remember which thread that was posted in either :) ), though I was thinking more just a graphical show of what it looked like at the time. Pic of it plus stats (and a radar showing how far it shoots and how fast the shots go) might be pretty much all the useful info you'd need. But an actual test drive with a 'fake' flight might work just as well and probably be easier to code. Make a fake system to go into, save stats before you go in and play till you die or quit. Flag the system so if your hitpoints get close to zero you auto jump back out of the 'sim system' back to RL. Probably have to exit the station to go into the sim, then redock after the sim to go back to the station, but it would work I think. Maybe chose whether there are 'drones' to shoot in system? Plus whether they just sit there or move, or even shoot back.

As for the cargo bay, could you have a button that collapses all items into their categories? Or maybe splits it into several 'cargo bays' and back into one again? One cargo bay would show all shields, one all engines, one all minerals etc. Just a thought
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I was the one who suggested test drives :P (it's in this thread btw)
It seems like the simulation is doable in a mod -- I'll go see what I can do.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
travbm
Miner
Miner

I would like to have larger star systems to explore and add a few electric drives or electromagnetic star drives so the batteries included mod could run your ship if you run out of fuel. Allow docking with planets so you can collect h-fuel and helium. There could be a way buy station hubs that you upgrade with modules to mine ore, collect fuel from stars, and grow food and make weapons. If a hub holds 10 modules cost 1,000,000 credits and each mod cost 100,000 credits it would be expensive but other ships could buy and sell you materials so you can make profit.

Also have a stock market buy shares for each share bough price goes up one tenth of a credit. For each sold price goes down a tenth of a credit. With 100 traders buying and selling on average every 60 seconds to simulate a stock market. And have different traders buy and sell different stocks where x stocks bought x stocks sold random stock each trader buy and sell 1000 credits of stock average. Random stock trader buys 10,000 credits of stock every ten minutes real time.

Planet bases: planets produce x products and sell x products and buy x products at a planet market. Ships bought and sold at ship dealer, equipment dealer buys ship parts and weapons and upgrades and sells player x parts and upgrades for ships. Stock market on planets each planet that is habitable has 100 stocks to buy and sell from global business where 40% of stock traders selling and 50% buy and ten percent hold. All markets have at least ten interstellar stocks to choose from where buyers are on average are 60% buy and 40% sell.

Weapons module: select price sold, power use, type of weapon type times power gives damage output. Types start 0.1 laser - 1 antimatter. So antimatter gun times 100MW gives 100 damage. Fire rate can be set from 1 - 6 per second.
Doing nothing here.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

travbm wrote:
Weapons module: select price sold, power use, type of weapon type times power gives damage output. Types start 0.1 laser - 1 antimatter. So antimatter gun times 100MW gives 100 damage. Fire rate can be set from 1 - 6 per second.
try this
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Suggestion: Teraton fabricator tweaks.

* Let modders add custom recipes for the fabricator without overwriting fabricator.
The modder can add custom offering results with the Sisters of Domina ever since the galactic map became official. The modder should be able to add custom recipes for fabricators, or Tinkers for that matter, without overwriting those stations.

* Let player drop more than one instance of a given item, if desired.
Reduces tandem.

* Slaves fed to a fabricator should be tracked. (Punishment optional)
Unless the player is gambling for more longzhu spheres (by freeing slaves), once the player has all Domina powers, slaves are best used as "Soul" food for the fabricator. Fuel and materials are easily renewable (just farm Ares, Ventari, or the like). Disposition increasing items are much harder to renew.

* Weaken the Teraton fabricator by removing all recipes that can increase level of level 8+ items.
This is how I get nearly all of my high level equipment. Take a level 5 or 6 item, and feed the fabricator until device is level 9 or 10. This change should prevent the player from taking low level junk and turning it into level X stuff. (It can go up to level XI devices if any existed.) Even with this change, the fabricator is still powerful because it can reroll high level devices, say a broken Ares plasma archcannon into a random level X weapon; and upgrade low level devices up to level 8.

Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

On the Fabricator thing, you're saying only allow high level DIPing (Drop In Pit.. ing) when it's not damaged? Or that multiple DIPing wouldn't be allowed? If you can 'reroll' a lev X weapon but not up lev I weapon all the way up there'd have to be some additional data on whether an item had been DIPed already.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

(To Patupi) No, I will explain.

About multiple drops:
In an unmodified game, you can only drop one item at a time. For example, you highlight... 20 pteracnium fuel rods, and you want to offer all 20 in one drop. You can't! You press [O] to offer your 20 fuel rods, but only one fuel rod is offered. Time to repeat the process 19 more times. Grrr! I want to drop all 20 at once!

About recipes:
When the fabricator transmutes a device, the new device is a level higher than the old device if disposition is high enough. Otherwise (i.e., disposition was not high enough), the new device has the same level as the old device, if the offering was not rejected. Recipes for devices of levels 8-10 are different (they require more resources), than recipes for devices of levels 1-7.

Teraton fabricator accepts damaged items just as well as undamaged. If you know the recipes, you can easily recycle damaged junk into valuable goodies. This does not stop the player from offering undamaged items. (When I fabricate, I use undamaged items if I exhaust my supply of damaged parts.)

My suggestion is to eliminate recipes that let the player upgrade devices of level 8+ to the next level (e.g., 8 to 9, 9 to 10, 10 to 11). The most overpowered feature of the fabricator is it lets the prepared player convert early game junk into endgame goodies almost for free, as early as the midgame (thanks to jumpdrive). Even if level 8+ upgrade recipes were removed, the fabricator would still be very powerful because you still have recipes that can upgrade items up to level 8 (but no higher) or transmute an item into another undamaged item of the same level (e.g., old level 10 item to another level 10 item, such as a damaged Ares plasma archcannon into undamaged IM90, positron lancer, or any other notrandom level X weapon, including another Ares plasma archcannon). Either way, if the offering was damaged, the new item spawned will be new and undamaged.

Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OK, I understand. I saw the different tables in the XML in the rows for each item type but didn't get quite what the two rows meant. I wasn't aware you could reroll an item to the same level. As I understood it though it would never do anything to a lev X item, right? So if you removed the upgrading table and went just with re-rolls after lev VIII then you could only do up to lev 9? If I'm getting it right. Of course you could always adjust the table to include lev X (I've already experimented with adjusting the table a bit. Some interesting results :) )
alainsr
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hi. I'm new around here. I liked Transcendence very much and thought of asking if there are plans to implement two things.

First, I'd love to be able to handle game saving as independent files, just like saving files in any Windows application: there's "Save", there's "Save as" and then there's "Open", so one could save a game at any time as new savegame file, restart from any previous savegame, have several adventures at same time without the need of copying the whole folder etc.

But that first suggestion is just a convenience. What would be really awesome is implementing mouse control of ship's direction. The controls could work a bit like a first person shooting game: W for thrust and S for deceleration, while mouse cursor would define the heading of the ship and buttons 1 and 2 would shoot and launch missile. Action keys (change weapon, change missile, dock to station etc.) would be distributed around W and S.

To make it even better, mouse wheel would change missile and CTRL+wheel would change weapon (or vice-versa). And to make it completely great, ships could have "secondary thrusts" that would allow accelerating sideways also, thus making it possible to circle a target without changing the distance to it while permanently aiming, for example. These two lateral accelerations could be controlled by A and D, so that left hand would control WASD keys for all thrust movements and mouse would control all aiming and shooting.

I don't know if these things are major things that won't be part of a 0.01 version change, but I thought I'd say it already.

I know it's a 2D space game (I love that, and the whole game story and dynamics), so I don't know if I'm saying any heresy here (in that case, I'm sorry in advance! really...), but my (very recent) first impression, which is based both in FPS and in some memories of an old 2D asteroids shooting game that I used to play (and can't seem to find anywhere), was that this enhancement would make my gaming experience perfect.

Alain
Fortaleza, Brazil