A few suggestions for the interface

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
YairHunter
Anarchist
Anarchist

1. Displaying a weapon's range would help.

2. The wiki shows weapon damage in dice throws, but the game only shows a single number. That's a bit misleading, assuming that it's still dice throws in this version.

3. Guns can have some specific traits that are not, or not always, mentioned in their description;
Firing projectiles that can pass through one another. It seems to also be the trait that allows Longzhu spheres to work on them.
Being ignored by defensive guns.
Being able to work with the high-speed howitzer loader.
Taking two device slots

Displaying these differences would be helpful.

4. Displaying the depletion downtime of shield generators would be, too.

5. Might be just me and my jittery clicking, but I accidentally deleted a saved game because my Recycle Bin was set not to keep things. Asking for confirmation would be nice.

6. In the docking/ship/etc menus, the clickable options move because of the varying length of the text, so they sometimes move from under your mouse. I think it would be more comfortable if their location was made more permanent, such as by giving them a maximum height, or placing them at the bottom of the window.

7. The window of these menus could be taking more of the screen, allowing it to display more at once and/or use larger text.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

YairHunter wrote: 3. Guns can have some specific traits that are not, or not always, mentioned in their description;
Firing projectiles that can pass through one another. It seems to also be the trait that allows Longzhu spheres to work on them.
Being ignored by defensive guns.
That's energy weapons. If the damage type is laser, particle, ion, or one of several later damage types, it will have these traits.
Being able to work with the high-speed howitzer loader.
Any Howitzer weapon(that is, any weapon with Howitzer in the name) is able to work with that device.
Taking two device slots
I'm unsure whether the APA still does this, but it is in the description of the CLAW cannon.
YairHunter
Anarchist
Anarchist

That's energy weapons. If the damage type is laser, particle, ion, or one of several later damage types, it will have these traits.
The Ares Positron Cannon has the first trait, but not the second. Might be the only exception, but either way it could be made more clear.
Any Howitzer weapon(that is, any weapon with Howitzer in the name) is able to work with that device.
The APA can too.
I'm unsure whether the APA still does this
It does in 1.3, don't know about the beta.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The APA can too.
That's downright strange. The APA appears to generate the projectile as a part of its firing sequence, not simply launch it. I don't see why a howitzer loader would improve the firerate of that. Could it be a glitch or oversight?
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Speedloader speed up any howitzer weapons (to put it simply, howitzers are long-ranged, slow-firing, big-damage weapons. Typically of matter-based damage type. In the vanilla game, I think all howitzers are matter damage. I personally dislike them, except for the APA.) The Ares Plasma Archcannon is categorized as a howitzer even if the name doesn't agree, because its states are like that of a howitzer. I guess 'Archcannon' just sounds better than plain howitzer.

The APA generates a custom projectile instead of launching one, but it does that when you fire it. The event it uses, OnWeaponFire or something like that, activates every time the weapon is about to fire. So if the weapon fires faster, this event activates more frequently.

The positron cannon used to be Longzhu-compatible, but changed for balance issues, IIRC.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote:The Speedloader speed up any howitzer weapons (to put it simply, howitzers are long-ranged, slow-firing, big-damage weapons. Typically of matter-based damage type. In the vanilla game, I think all howitzers are matter damage. I personally dislike them, except for the APA.) The Ares Plasma Archcannon is categorized as a howitzer even if the name doesn't agree, because its states are like that of a howitzer. I guess 'Archcannon' just sounds better than plain howitzer.

The APA generates a custom projectile instead of launching one, but it does that when you fire it. The event it uses, OnWeaponFire or something like that, activates every time the weapon is about to fire. So if the weapon fires faster, this event activates more frequently.
I was referring to the custom firing animation it has. The projectile isn't loaded and fired, it appears to be generated and fired at the same time. The variable that causes it to be affected by the high-speed howitzer loader might be mistakenly applied, given that a conventional autoloader wouldn't be compatible with such a weapon.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The APA appears to 'generate' a projectile and fire, like Goku shooting a Hadoken, that's what you mean?

Well, the weapon may still need some kind of ammunition or energy packet loaded in and consumed every time it generate a projectile. So the Speedloader can still help in this process.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote:The APA appears to 'generate' a projectile and fire, like Goku shooting a Hadoken, that's what you mean?

Well, the weapon may still need some kind of ammunition or energy packet loaded in and consumed every time it generate a projectile. So the Speedloader can still help in this process.
Certainly possible, but it seems more dissimilar to the Howitzer series than many other weapons. I'll chalk it up to having been programmed that way for balance.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The APA being compatible with the speedloader is intended. :)

It's basically a plasma-based howitzer. It only really feels weird because it's the only plasma-based howitzer weapon in the game.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.