Add range to weapon stats

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
kay.py
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It would be nice to add range to the stats shown in-game for weapons. I find the fact that there's no way to tell without digging through the xml how far a weapon goes is a rather large discouragement to installing anything unfamiliar...
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I disagree.

I like it to discover how a weapon works. Revealing every stat is something I don't want to see ingame. I think it would produce an overload of information.
Well, I also like to dig through the xml and look for the details afterwards..

There are some strategic game were I want to know every detail told by the game. I don't see Transcendence as this kind of game.
Maybe in the upcoming RTS game.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It is a logical extension of area weapons revealing their effective ranges.

Seems like a good idea, I might add range tags on the next update of my mod weapons.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shaman wrote:I disagree.

I like it to discover how a weapon works. Revealing every stat is something I don't want to see ingame. I think it would produce an overload of information.
Well, I also like to dig through the xml and look for the details afterwards..

There are some strategic game were I want to know every detail told by the game. I don't see Transcendence as this kind of game.
Maybe in the upcoming RTS game.
They already show damage, which is quite a bit less obvious.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Sorry, it seems I was a bit vague.

Yes, I want to know how much damage my weapon is going to do.
No, I don't want to know the range before I buy it, because in my opinion it would be an overload of information.

I want a good composition of information. It is clearly up to discussion which should be shown.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Why not move some stuff into other parts of the weapons screen? There's plenty of space under/over the "buy/install/whatever" options (in almost all dockscreens) to have some advanced stats there.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Arkheias
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I think that once we have the next version of the wiki up with the ability to read all the .xml files and automatically generate pages for items/ship/whatnot, we should add a similar feature to the game itself. We already have the Rowena's Weapons and Armor series of roms from older versions of transcendence that previously identified weapons and armor. I think that we should add them back in and once they are used they would mark the relevant items as "researched" instead of just "identified" and permanently add an additional action whenever you view the items in a dockscreen, "View Specs Sheet". This would open up another screen that would basically show all the details of the item. It could show the range of weapons, projectile velocity, manufacturer's suggested retail price, fire-rate shown to 2 decimal places, etc.

Here are some links to relevant ministry records:
https://ministry.kronosaur.com/record.hexm?id=4894 - showing more details in general
https://ministry.kronosaur.com/record.hexm?id=4965 - showing fire-rate to 2 decimal places
Cabbage Corp, the only mod with cabbages!

Please feel free to submit bug reports or issues related to the Cabbage Corp mod on the GitHub page, the forum thread, in a private message or even on the Xelerus page. Suggestions are fine too.