Music Player in Transcendence

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

The music player in transcendence plays TranscendenceMarch.mp3 file once and stops playing. Wouldn't it be nice if you were allowd to play your own tracks? Right now it is possible to have Transcendence play a single mp3 file named as TranscendenceMarch. But thats only one file at a time. I can trick transcendence into many songs in a determined order by combining many mp3s but its a long process. For example in my case, I have already ripped all the songs from my music CDs into iTunes in the AAC format. So, first I have to convert them into mp3s so that Windows Movie Maker works with them. (Yes, I know there are lots of free programs which convert formats and join many mp3s but I'm too lazy to search for one. Besides, its a bit harder to find a completely free software which does not stop working after 15 days or converts only half the song and to top it all off, its a pain downloading many softwares and see which works on really bad dial-up connection. Yes, and 'really bad' is meant as a separate adjective and not as one which goes with dial-up connections in general). Anyways, then I join all my favorite mp3s with Windows Movie Maker. And when I try to save this file, Movie Maker says that it will save only in the wma format. (Windows sure is a big pain in the ass and Vista's no better even if it looks a lot cooler). So anyway, I save it in the WMA format and then convert it back into mp3 using iTunes and finally, one playlist is ready to play in Transcendence. OK, once I find myself the right program, I'll be able to do this a lot faster but wouldn't it be a lot easier if you could just have Transcendence shuffle and play songs in a Music folder in the Trancendence or something?
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Just run iTunes in the background...

An integrated music player is one of those things that I put under the category "cool, but uneccesary". Besides, your favorite music player is almost guaranteed to have more functionality than any simple player integrated into transcendence.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

That's what I do right now.... but I don't like the memory which iTunes takes up. I can't understand why though. Even with my config, I still get the occasional graphics hiccup. Maybe I have a virus.
Although its generally a non-issue with games like Transcendence, the performance would be a lot better if Transcendence played the music by itself. Besides, Transcendence already plays TranscendenceMarch.mp3. HOw hard would it be to configure it to play all mp3s in its folder?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have an idea - how about a folder like Extensions, but called Music? The music gets played in alphabetical order (Just rename the files to 01xxxx, 02xxxx etc.). It would just be a simple case of click+drag, or possibly copy+paste.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Yugimotomanager wrote:I have an idea - how about a folder like Extensions, but called Music? The music gets played in alphabetical order (Just rename the files to 01xxxx, 02xxxx etc.). It would just be a simple case of click+drag, or possibly copy+paste.
Hmmm.... You didn't read properly, did you? Maybe I should divide my posts into paragraphs.... I don't feel like reading what I wrote myself..
Blitz wrote:OK, once I find myself the right program, I'll be able to do this a lot faster but wouldn't it be a lot easier if you could just have Transcendence shuffle and play songs in a Music folder in the Trancendence or something?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Oh, I see. Sorry.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

What's the problem? I can run WMP in the background and play transc no problem.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The problem is that not all PC configs/componants are created equal. What works great on yours may not fair well on others.

What's better? A 300 Gazillionbyte CPU or a 300 megabyte CPU?
Can my Soundblaster Pro beat up your ATI clone?

Point is, trying to run a game and another system resource hog at the same time can and does cause unwanted effects on some low-end PC's.

Personally, I could care less about playing tunes while playing a game. But for those who do like that, having a "music" folder isn't a bad idea.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I agree with FAD. My computer's okay and it runs Transcendence without any hitches, although my framerates drop when I use iTunes in the background.

The point is there are still a lot of older systems out there and they do have problems running transcendence. Odddod's right about this being "cool but unnecessary" but still, its not like its the hardest thing to put in.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I tend to use MediaX, by PlayMeNow on these forums when I have Transc, BitTorrent, firefox and a bunch of other stuff running, since it uses barely any RAM or processing power at all.
1.3 isn't exactly a great version, though - very buggy - 1.2 is better.

Still I could use WMP or Napster anyways - my computer's good enough,
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I downloaded MediaX ages ago but I never used it. That might work better than iTunes...
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Now now, let's not turn this into a PMN discussion. Doesn't it already have a discussion anyways?
Oh, and could you send me the Vista gfx Transformation pack link?
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

*cough*winamp 5.09 for teh win*cough*

I really need to get that cough checked out...