In-game Ship and Item Codex

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think there should be a codex for ships and items in the game. I'm not sure where it will be most comfortably accessed. When you start the game, commonly found ships and items should be available in the codex. As you progress through the game, faction specific intelligence or relations should increase the size of your codex. When you dock with ships and discover new items, your codex should be updated. I think this adds an exploration or achievement like aspect to the game.

When you exit out of the game, there should be a general codex that you can view from the menu that you have discovered from the game. The intro sequence to the game would have a combination of ships you have discovered throughout the game. Ships that you have not discovered would not play in the intro. To make it even more interesting for players, each time the intro screen opens up, it would start off the game with the newest set of ships that you found.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ever pressed F2 during a game?

As for the intro ships, you can set

Code: Select all

<Option name="introSpoilers"	value="true"/>
in settings.xml to show all ships in the intro.
There are some mods to change intro settings as well.
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I would hardly call Game Statistics a codex. I want to have something similar to an item menu where I can see the numbers and descriptions of each ship and item.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The "Item Information List" mod on xelerus will show the items that the player has already seen in the game. Unfortunately it isn't ideal as the cursor needs to be placed on an item for it to be added to the list. And it only shows the standard item list entry.

The "Commanders Log"' mod in the Multiverse mod section shows the same list but also allows searching of all game items. Information can be gained by scrolling down the list.

The next version of the "Commander's Log" mod will also record ships for sale at stations. This won't show all ships but the code can be easily used in another mod to show stats for all ships. Have a go at a mod which does this. There is plenty of help available with code problems. I'll add it to my list of mods to do but am busy now so it will be a while.

The item info could also be expanded to include more info than just a standard item list entry as seen in game lists. Weapon range would be a good thing to know. And maybe tips on which items work best against specific enemies.

The "Taipan GodShip" mod (see Taipan GodShip forum topic for the latest version) will list all game items and also subsets based on item categories; armor, IDs, food, etc. These can be easily installed/added to the playership for testing.

Also thanks for the íntroSpoilers' tip, Ferdinand. I didn't know about that.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!