About WMD Weapons and Asteroid

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There is two things that I need to suggest:

1. WMD Weapons Should Able to Damage Asteroid-type Station

Post St. Katherine, player would face Marauder and often time tasked by Militia to destroy their stations. The problem is, only mining weapon can effectively damages that station and not every players equips them. It would be frustrating as they need to install mining weapon if they didn't have yet and Militia itself does not sell mining weapon.

Solutions:
- WMD weapon should deals same damage with mining weapon towards asteroid-type station. Combined WMD and Mining weapon could deals more damage than both individually; or
- WMD weapon should deals damage as normally WMD does, but Mining weapon deals more damage.

2. WMD Weapons Should Affect Asteroid Ore Deposit

With suggestion above, I started to think about WMD weapons. Currently WMD purpose is to against capital ships and station with no downside (this makes non-WMD weapons less practical as stated by many people). Perhaps WMD weapons should able to affecting asteroid similar with mining weapon. Instead of extracting ore, the mass destruction weapon destroys its ore deposit. This would makes non-WMD weapon slightly useful because if player wanted to mining, they would at least avoid firing WMD weapons and might tend to using non-WMD weapon (especially in early game, which several kinetic weapons have no WMD).

This may also help solve Asteroid-type station problem above.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I recently discovered how annoying Marauder asteroid bases are (having played my first non-dev 1.9b1 game last week). Now, I am highly tempted to put some mining rating on the majority of my mod weapons to bypass this nonsense, even if against design guidelines. (Actually, I might add some mining missiles for my mod launchers solely to deal with this Marauder headache, and I might make them freely available by not putting specialty.) If such bases will be common enough, then mining weapons should be more freely available, not limited to mining stations (especially advanced stuff limited to IMU).

Currently, I just sit on the asteroid and fast-forward until the asteroid dies, but there should be a better way.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

DigaRW wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 am
With suggestion above, I started to think about WMD weapons. Currently WMD purpose is to against capital ships and station with no downside (this makes non-WMD weapons less practical as stated by many people). Perhaps WMD weapons should able to affecting asteroid similar with mining weapon. Instead of extracting ore, the mass destruction weapon destroys its ore deposit. This would makes non-WMD weapon slightly useful because if player wanted to mining, they would at least avoid firing WMD weapons and might tend to using non-WMD weapon (especially in early game, which several kinetic weapons have no WMD).

This may also help solve Asteroid-type station problem above.
Only if player is interested in mining. Even then, it may be considered an acceptable loss given how near-mandatory WMD is and slot limits.

Also, some mining weapons have WMD too. Magma cutter is a good all-purpose weapon early in the game - mines asteroids for much of the early game (unlike mining laser), good WMD to kill tough things and blow up annoying wrecks. Only bad thing about it is short-range. Having magma cutters and plasma torches destroying the ore you want to mine defeats the purpose of those mining weapons.

Speaking of WMD, by high levels, WMD on mining weapons is a bad idea. Vault of the Galaxy will be a problem, where DPS of weapons do hundreds or thousands of damage. I remember adding some mining weapons there, and high WMD allowed it to one-shot the ore it just mined!
DigaRW wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 am
Solutions:
- WMD weapon should deals same damage with mining weapon towards asteroid-type station. Combined WMD and Mining weapon could deals more damage than both individually; or
- WMD weapon should deals damage as normally WMD does, but Mining weapon deals more damage.
Another one: Add bunker-buster mining missiles for all launchers, and do not restrict them to IMU only. I will probably add such missiles for all of my mod launchers.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Might have spoken too soon. I tried excavation pods against the Marauder stronghold (the one that requires mining weapons to hurt), and even the weakest one, A, will one-shot the base if detonated inside the base. The only problem is without Corporate Command, excavation pods may be too rare beyond New Beyond. The only other places I have seen pods besides mining stations are Commonwealth colonies and the Arcology, and the pods do not always appear there.

With Corporate Command, IMU and ore refineries show up, and player can get more (advanced) mining equipment without much trouble.

So, excavation pods are finally useful. Not for extracting ore; they are still lame at that. They are great against stations that are harmed by mining weapons. I can live with hauling a few pods to nuke Marauder bases.

What we need is mid-game and maybe late-game shops to get more mining equipment beyond New Beyond, and not require official extensions (as done for IMU). Or maybe make a Tinker recipe to fabricate excavation pods for anti-Marauder base duty.

(Aside, I have second thoughts of adding mining missiles to my mod launchers because adding mining will make homing missiles target asteroids, which I do not want.)

DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Only if player is interested in mining. Even then, it may be considered an acceptable loss given how near-mandatory WMD is and slot limits.

Also, some mining weapons have WMD too. Magma cutter is a good all-purpose weapon early in the game - mines asteroids for much of the early game (unlike mining laser), good WMD to kill tough things and blow up annoying wrecks. Only bad thing about it is short-range. Having magma cutters and plasma torches destroying the ore you want to mine defeats the purpose of those mining weapons.

Speaking of WMD, by high levels, WMD on mining weapons is a bad idea. Vault of the Galaxy will be a problem, where DPS of weapons do hundreds or thousands of damage. I remember adding some mining weapons there, and high WMD allowed it to one-shot the ore it just mined!
I think Mining should also covered up WMD weapon weakness and enhance Mining strength to asteroid if they both applied on a weapon. So with Mining, WMD weapon could get great portion of ore deposit. Asteroid often launch a boulder when hit by WMD weapon, so it would make no sense if their ore deposit are still there after bombarded by heavy gun.
Click this link!
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 pm
Might have spoken too soon. I tried excavation pods against the Marauder stronghold (the one that requires mining weapons to hurt), and even the weakest one, A, will one-shot the base if detonated inside the base. The only problem is without Corporate Command, excavation pods may be too rare beyond New Beyond. The only other places I have seen pods besides mining stations are Commonwealth colonies and the Arcology, and the pods do not always appear there.

With Corporate Command, IMU and ore refineries show up, and player can get more (advanced) mining equipment without much trouble.

So, excavation pods are finally useful. Not for extracting ore; they are still lame at that. They are great against stations that are harmed by mining weapons. I can live with hauling a few pods to nuke Marauder bases.
That's pretty unconventional use of mining pods, but seems interesting. It looks like planting a bomb on base site. However, it's pretty overpowered against Marauder as mid-game enemy.
Click this link!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Seeing how lame pods are at extracting ore, the next logical use is WMD against enemies, which were also lame until George added mining-vulnerable bases.

One-shotting an asteroid base with a pod seems fine, given how rare those pods are without Corporate Command, how heavy they are (500 kg per pod), and how those enemy bases resist everything else that is not a plasma torch. It is annoying that I need to buy a pod in Eridani or other early system and haul it to Ungoverned Territories to blast an asteroid base. With Corporate Command, ore refineries and IMU make mining equipment much more common after St. K's. Either ore refineries or IMU should be imported or promoted to the base game like Scorpion, if mining will become more important. Currently, most of the mining stuff without Corporate Command is mostly in the New Beyond.

Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have used those pods mostly for destroying bases, or even as mines to destroy ships. Never used them for mining....