Ships densities seem low

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Transcendi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm not sure the ship weights and sizes given in ship lists make sense.

Take the Svarog, 330 meters and 38,230 tons.
To see whether that seems right, imagine scaling its length down by a factor of 100x, making it 3.3 meters long. As volume and mass scales with the cube of the length, the new weight will be 38kg.
Imagine putting that three meter long thing on your kitchen table... 38kg would make sense if it's made of a plywood shell, but for a something made of heavy metals, even if mostly hollow, I'd expect somewhere from 400kg (if it's 95% air and empty space with a density comparable to a modern aircraft carrier, which needs to float on water) to 10 tons (if it's 50% machinery).

For comparison, the cruise ship Costa Smeralda ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Smeralda_(ship) ) is the same length and weighs 180,000 tons.

Literally multiplying all weights by 10 would probably get numbers in the right ballpark.
Was known as Chance on the UTF
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Just take a look at an actual spaceship, the lunar lander from the Apollo 17 mission.
According to NASA it was about 4.2 meters high and had a total dry weight of 5195 kg (everything included except fuel and crew)

Now those futuristic spacecraft in Transcendence are of course made of new materials that are extremely light and incredibly strong.....
Transcendi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Literally a hundred times lighter?
Was known as Chance on the UTF
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Quote from George here:
Many ships have incorrect masses, I definitely agree. I'm updating the masses on an ad hoc basis.

The relevant metric is that, on average, ships mass 0.04 tons per cubic meter (which assumes lots of empty space and very light-weight materials).
I agree this seems implausibly low, at least for a universe where fuel and reaction mass are relevant constraints on spacecraft design.