Wolfen's starting configuration can exceed 10 MW.

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

life support = 0.5 MW
default drive = 2 MW
dual laser cannon = 3 MW
NAMI missile launcher = 1 MW
hull plate ionizier = 4 MW

Total peak power usage is 10.5 MW. If everything operates at peak power, the reactor will overload and a device will be disabled. Either the Wolfen should start with 15 MW like the Sapphire, or replace the hull plate ionizier with a class II deflector, which trades kinetic resistance for lower power use.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

While this would also fix the problem of Centauri doing 0 damage to the Wolfen's shields the Wolfen won't overload in normal operation. It's unusual to be firing the lasers, launcher, thrusting, and regenerating damage at the same time.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In practice though has this ever happened? I don't believe any configuration the game has a overload starting.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In practice though has this ever happened? I don't believe any configuration the game has a overload starting.
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It's not particularly unusual for it to happen to me. In any heavy combat you need to run all systems at once. In any case, dropping the wolfen's shield to a class II sounds fine to me. It'll still have the best equipment.
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I frequently run into that early on, partially because I delay a reactor upgrade until I need to, and partially because I tend to... well... want to run many systems at once.
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

How do you run into heavy combat before upgrading your reactor?
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Frigate? Arco? Just going out a few systems without slaughtering every living enemy you can find for upgrades? 'Heavy combat' in this context means any time you're firing missiles. Lasers, life support, drive, and shield recharge all happen when you're in ANY combat.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I overloaded the Wolfen's reactor in normal play once, but I rarely use the launcher until I get surplus missiles from looting pirates a few systems later. However, I received overload warnings and blinking red bars multiple times before.

When I start the game as a Wolfen, my spending wishlist is prioritized as follows:
1) Solar armor or panel
2) Targeting program ROM
3) Cargo expansion (almost always a miner's hold so I can loot mined ore)
4) Mining laser (if I can't loot one from a Borer)

Reactor upgrade comes after the above.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Most people don't thrust while firing. It's usually counter-productive unless you're using an omni, and many people's keyboards don't support it anyways.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wolfy wrote:How do you run into heavy combat before upgrading your reactor?
In my last game, I ran into three drakes, a crapload of corsair Is and vikings, and a gaggle of IIs. With basic setup, apart from a speed enhancer on the dual-laser and a monopole deflector replacing the ioniser. Does that count? :P

(I won, in case anyone really wants to know.)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The ability to thrust and change direction during a fight is useful at times. When fighting ships like in an arcade game, I (and I suspect many others) do not think too much and act in part on instinct. Having shields or weapons disable in the middle of a fight is bad. People avoid this when they can. However, the player cannot when beginning the game with a Wolfen, unless he disables the missile launcher or spends his meager balance on downgrading equipment.

Yes, I know the chance of reactor overload with a Wolfen with starting equipment is remote, but it can happen. I suggest the starting configuration on the Wolfen should be changed to eliminate the possibility of it. The change could be a bigger reactor or more efficient devices. Once the player earns enough credits to upgrade, he can deal with power management then.

One more thing. Even a class II deflector grants near immunity to the normal Centauri raiders; they are so laughably weak. Heavy raiders will be a legitimate threat though.

Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I just sell the launcher and missiles. I never use ammo weapons, because you have to constantly buy more ammo for it, and they're not worth the trouble and credits (in my opinion). Selling the launcher lets me get at least a turbolaser or a class III shield.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Um.... A nami launcher doesn't sell for half of what a class III costs. For that matter, you can't even use either of those devices well without upgrading your reactor. You don't really have to buy ammo for the nami except lucifers also. And even besides that, why would you upgrade to a turbolaser from a dual laser cannon?
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I also kill stations ect. To get the better shield, not necessarily a class III. Also, a dual laser is 2.5*2*6, and a turbolaser is 7.5*5. so Turbolaser does 37.5 damage per second, and a dual laser does 30 damage per second. Turbolaser is therefore better. And I don't just sell the launcher, the missiles get an extra few hundred credits.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?