sysCreateShip in 1.06a

Bug reports for the different beta versions of transcendence.
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

If I call sysCreateShip and pass a spaceobject for the position there is a slight delay (a second or two) before the ship is created. If you pass the position of the space object then the ship is created instantly.

i.e. the following two commands do not act the same in version 1.06a. I'm pretty certain that they did in earlier versions.

(sysCreateShip &scAutoSentinel; gSource &svFriendlyAuton;)
(sysCreateShip &scAutoSentinel; (objGetPos gSource) &svFriendlyAuton;)
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

well, this isnt technically a bug, you have made the command longer therefor it needs more time to run, the amount of time it adds is the bug imho
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

If you pass an object to sysCreateShip it assumes that the object is a stargate (or something like it). In that case, there is a random delay (several ticks) to simulate the time that it takes for the ship to exit the gate (and in case you want to add a gate effect). Also, if you create multiple ships on the same tick then they will each have additional delays (as they line up to pass through the gate).

If you pass a simple position, then it creates the ship immediately.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Interesting. I did not know that. I have added the information to xelerus.
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

umm... (inputs thought)

I agree with sdw195

the way I read the commands ( as written in the post ) they are both saying create the ship :
but one is in motion ( or has the ability to move ) and the other is not.

To try to put George's words into "pilot speak" :

Every version of the game hesitates in making a ship .computers only move but so fast

the tracking of the "gSource" in a system , in motion , causes most of this because if " gSource" is the player ship in motion the game will hesitate more by making sure it is putting the ship in the right spot. if you deploy an auton while standing still the effect is "faster".

If you order a ship to create from the gate nearest ( as I often do ) it is obviously slower to create
as the game has to find the gate, create a ship and give it orders....computers only move but so fast.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

shanejfilomena wrote:umm... (inputs thought)

I agree with sdw195
I think sdw195 had it backwards, or I completely misunderstood his post :); the longer command in words/functions actually takes less time to execute.
To try to put George's words into "pilot speak" :

Every version of the game hesitates in making a ship .computers only move but so fast

the tracking of the "gSource" in a system , in motion , [...] if you deploy an auton while standing still the effect is "faster". [...]
Um, no.

Here's what George said:

If you give sysCreateShip a vector, it assumes you want to poof a ship into existance magically, possibly making it look like it was already there, and makes it instantly. ObjGetPos returns a vector, so using it causes this effect.

(Autons use this method, so they create instantly. They don't delay if you're moving.)

If you give sysCreateShip a space object, it assumes you want to simulate the new ship as coming out of the object, so causes delays to simulate undocking/launching/gating and ships queing up to do that. (If you've played the elite/frontier games, you surely have been denied docking clearance at a bad moment because another ship was using the tube; this is a nod in the same direction).
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

thank you for your interesting mind, please be a good pilot and download one of my extensions ......
that is not ammunition hitting your ship.....it's my opinion. LOL

no, seriously, I appreciate that we can actually translate these interesting things for different views.
While we might tend to assume we see it .....we do not always see it the same way.

I like simple but effective codes, I do have to cut off ships being called in a game because of the hesitations that are highly visible .
the only time I have not had the hesitation is when I replicate the stk traffic , unfortunately that traffic assumes the stations are never going to be destroyed so it creates an interesting situation when you attack the stations they are set to go to.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

This can be moved to closed now.