Arco Vaughn now toothless

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Arco Vaughn isn't much of an issue now. I rocked on up with my unmodified freighter and just sat there next to him. He flew around me occasionally taking a potshot at me. It took a couple of minutes for him to finally destroy me. If I actually had the missile launcher installed, Arco would be toast.

I liked Vaughn before. He was tough, especially if you were foolish enough not to heed the advice of the residentials.

Make Arco a challenge again!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

he seems to give you a warning, and then says "huh?" when you start shooting at him with missiles. perhaps there's more storyline here than we've discovered? the data rom implies that his dad went to core, maybe you meet up with his dad later? arco vaughn senior as a late game enemy perhaps?
Vastin
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

He feels about right now. He can destroy the freighter, but it takes him a while.

Against the freighter he could stand to have higher laser resistance and general armor to make the missiles more necessary, but his firepower looks about right.

He's actually an interesting challenge for the Wolfen now - in that version he appears to be totally laser immune, and still has his rapid fire gun which makes it tricky to land missile hits against him unless you have the targetting rom to lock on from long range. But, the wolfen can still just bug out if he ever starts getting your shields down - the real danger is running out of missiles. :)

Anybody given him a whirl in the Sapphire yet?
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well I tried him out in the Sapphire. I had the DM1600 missile rack, and first I attacked him with my recoilless, after a while I used my missile rack. One shot and "You are going to die." So I unloaded some more missiles into him. Mission Complete. I had a hull breach too.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

(yawn)

Not worth the time it takes to fly there.

:?
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I suppose that would depend on the player. Arco was designed for newbies in mind and to provide them with an early game challenge. So of course he would appear weak to anyone who's figured out how to beat him. That is a result we can gain from the challenges, no?

And many times I've found that his loot alone is well worth going after.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

hmm... I get more loot faster from spawns. If you take out Raisu's guarding centauri (while mining, let's say) and don't complete the mission they just keep coming.

I got lucky I guess- the first time through 099 I followed all the hints, got the missiles, followed the little arrow (in a sapphire with only a mining laser different from starting equip), spotted the big mean ship, fired a missile or two and *pow* end of Arco's reign of terror.

I had no idea how difficult that ship was, what it's defensive capabilities were or anything else really. The only advantage I had over new players in that instance was pilot experience. Which didn't do much as I barely had to engage before Arco was toast.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Periculi wrote:hmm... I get more loot faster from spawns.
This be true. However, you will never get the same type of loot from those spawners as you can from Arco's wreck. And if you get loot lucky, you can be practically invincible the rest of the early game.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

:D
I'm adding in a mission a few systems down that occurs only if you've already killed Arco.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

i just tried to kill acro, and got the reverse of what i was expecting.

1. i charge him, collimated fast fire laser at full tilt, and i land a few hits on his armor, he starts attacking me and never fires a shot.

2. i fly at him without shooting, he kills me in seconds without warning.

EDIT: i just tried again and failed to get the wierd result.

could the random devices have something to do with it? he had the nami and dual recoiless.
ElectricViking
Anarchist
Anarchist

I just starting playing Transcendence a couple days ago, so this was my first go-around with Arco.

A funny thing occurred however. I went out to meet him in a Sapphire. My shields weren't really up to snuff, as he took them out quickly. After that, I bailed and autopiloted it back to the area where everything is. He actually FOLLOWED me back to the area, where he was promptly pwned by the locals. I had a lol and proceeded to loot his destroyed ship.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson
ElectricViking
Anarchist
Anarchist

Wow, I just realized how old this thread is. Damn. I'm a bit late to the party it seems.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

doesnt matter - as long as Arco is in the game this thread cant get too old :D

Well If you encounter him when he has shields and missiles himself I think this can be quite a challenge ;)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I haven't died to arco in over a year. But then, I'm primarily a Wolfen pilot, and the wolfen is massively overpowered against centauri.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ok, my one was a freighter pilot's statement ;)