Shield down-time

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I've noticed that when your shields are knocked down to 0, it can take quite some time for them to start recharging again - it always feels like too long, and I've flown halfway across a system before they started to recharge on their own. I thought for a while that you were required to 'reboot' your shields by disabling them and then re-enabling them, I only recently discovered that they will start charging again on their own after a while if you leave them alone.

What are the factors that determine how long it is before a shield starts to charge up again? Is the 'rebooting' trick an exploit?
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

BTW, if it's intentional for shields to not work at all for a given time after being reduced to 0 and rebooting should not speed up the process, might I suggest making it so that you cannot disable the shields during this period of time to prevent players from being tempted to get around the downtime?

Love the game, BTW.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

It's definitely intentional for shields to take a while to start regenerating once they get knocked down to 0. I think that it balances out certain shields.

Right now there is not much variation between shield types: all shields have this delay. It might be interesting to create some new shield types that have shorter or longer delays.

I didn't realize that the shield delay was cancelled if you disabled/re-enabled your shields--I agree that it should be fixed.

Thank you!
warp5
Anarchist
Anarchist

Do you know that when you run out of fuel and then refuel in time before the ship is destroyed that all devices do not work? I do not know if that is timed or not, but I think that disabling and reenabling the shield is the only way to get them working again. I did not wait long to see if they came back by themselves.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

do you mind not bringing back topics that are over 2 YEARS old?
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, at least warp5 brought up an interesting point that I wasn't aware of.
warp5
Anarchist
Anarchist

I thought it would be best to post in the threads that handle the subject instead of starting a new thread. That way all the info for subject stays tied together.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

in certain forums that is true. However, this forum doesn't really mind having several topics about the same thing (as long as they aren't replied to within the last couple days). As you have found out, some people get annoyed at thread necromancy though.
Sheltem
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Its quite fiddling to refill your ship in the middle of a fight and then turn on all devices again.
You only have seconds before your armor goes down.
Sometimes you still die when fuel runs out, but in most other cases you can still move sloooowly. :?

When out of fuel everything is turned off because you have no FUEL to power it. You need to press B and enable everything.
There is an exploit related to the old topic: you can turbo-restart dropped shields by turning the generator off and on again.

you intentions are quite noble, but in the past 2 years several threads where made related to that topic. If you always want to find a related topic you could better start searching from actual posts ;)

I like necromany. A legion of skeletons always ruled tha world :twisted:
regards
Sheltem

What do you think about the endless stream of spawns ?

What about modding wandering spawns which dont attack the player directly ?
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Always a good challange. :)
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

george moromisato wrote:It's definitely intentional for shields to take a while to start regenerating once they get knocked down to 0. I think that it balances out certain shields.

Right now there is not much variation between shield types: all shields have this delay. It might be interesting to create some new shield types that have shorter or longer delays.

I didn't realize that the shield delay was cancelled if you disabled/re-enabled your shields--I agree that it should be fixed.

Thank you!
George, I think this is still happening in .99C. I got hit with a shieldsdown cyberattack, and did the old toggle trick, and it brought it back up.