New player -- damaged goods question

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
wingedcoyote
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hi all! I just got Transcendence the other day and I'm really enjoying it so far. Especially since I went back and switched to the Wolfen -- dogfights and base strafing are much more fun at high speed. :) I'm in the third or fourth system now.

A question -- I have a pretty huge amount of damaged weapons and armor I've looted, and even with the expanded cargo hold it's starting to fill up my whole ship. In my last game I found a tinker station that bought damaged stuff or made things out of it, so I don't really want to ditch it all, but I can't keep lugging it all around. Advice?
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

i think some of the weapons dealers will buy damaged weapons as well.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

armor: if it is good install and then repair it, then either use it or sell it. if it is cheap armor don't even bother, it may cost more to repair than you get by selling. (do not have the tinkers make titanium armor from ore- you get negative profits)

devices:
if you have the almighty wrench mod you can fix them. otherwise my advice is below

some stations will buy damaged goods, most will not

tinkers can convert some items, but not most- try to do custom work on one and if they say it is useless to them then just ditch that type

if they are weapons the tinkers cannot use: sell or ditch it... noone will install damaged goods, and if they did, they would misfire, jam, and explode.

shields tinkers cannot use: sell or ditch, i'm not sure what they do when damaged, but noone will install them.

misc. devices: in general the tinkers cannot use these so ditch.

reactors: ditch if damaged- noone will install them

things i know the tinkers use:
superconducting coils to shields
class one deflectors to (solon?) shields
some kind of laser to another kind of laser
some repairing barrels to patcher arms
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I notice tinkers will take most common damaged weapons and convert them to dual weapons. Got a nice dual kinetic cannon, tho I have yet to try that with flenser cannons, can't find enough damaged ones to try. Made a pretty penny off of lasers -> dual lasers $$$
plaete
Anarchist
Anarchist

SPOILER: if you want to know what goods a tinker can work with, just look in the XML...

If you don't want to be spoiled, you can off course just try it out yourself!

In general: try damaged things (no devices though) and ores also do well. Titanium Ore however isn't profitable as said by Bobby.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Normally what I do when my hold is getting full is dump my load of damaged items on a large asteroid or planet close to the "exit" gate. Jump to the next system and clean it out. Keep going until I find a Tinker then back track to my loot then sell or convert-repeat. Of course there's always the possibility of a Scavenger being in most any early systems so I'll dump my load in a system where none are.

Nice thing about doing this is getting the additional gate spawners-more loot! I'll never sell damaged items to armor/weapons dealers unless there's no Tinkers in the game, otherwise, the Tinkers get most of my business with the damaged goods.
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think the tinkers will use carbon fiber in custom work.
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

This should be read as a SPOILER.
The tinkers will convert a number of different things found in barrels. (Armor patches or repair paste - I think.) The non-company specific weapons dealers will buy damaged and un-damaged weapons. ...Titanium ore is about worthless - even if you sell it normallay. Teretons fabricators make more ammo from certain things you feed them.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

sorry :oops:
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

bluesaberist wrote: ...Titanium ore is about worthless - even if you sell it normallay
That depends on how you're sitting financially. In the first few systems, you need every bit of scrap you can sell in order to save up for whatever weapon/shield/enhancement...etc you're aiming for. So titanium serves its purpose in early game. Mid to late game is a different story, however.
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Unless you are really lucky and get a free mining cannon, the systems where titanium ore could be valueble are often far gone by the time you could get a lot. I rarely have a mining laser in the third system. Maybe I just have bad luck.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Viper
Miner
Miner

What about damaged Patch Spiders? Or Jump Drivers? How to repair them?
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

other than get the almighty wrench mod there is no way.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

If you want to deal in damaged goods, I suggest you get the freighter
CaramelKing
Anarchist
Anarchist

Bobby wrote:other than get the almighty wrench mod there is no way.
Speaking of which, I can't remeber where I got my version of this mod, but it won't unzip. Does anyone have a working one?