Yikes! Charon is scary!

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
wingedcoyote
Anarchist
Anarchist

I thought a few pirates would be no problem after I breezed through the Arena and a few other tough fights... and I was kind of right, so far I haven't had a problem busting the outposts, but the Wind slavers are nasty. Had a few tough fights with them, and just now I got surrounded and blown up. Thought I could Autopilot away to escape... turns out that doesn't work. Thank god for insurance, but yikes.

That's the first time I've taken hull hits since installing the Yoroi S100 shield I found on a missile boat. I also have full Blast Plate, so it took a fair amount of punishment to do me in. Maybe I just need more firepower? I'm still on my original Dual Lasers actually, albeit with +Fast and a Collimator. Doesn't help that I still haven't found a darn Targeting ROM.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Wind slaver: nasty little things.

my advice- don't try to outrun them- last i checked they are the fastest thing in the game.
they have:
heavy ceramic plate- strong against laser- would explain your difficulty in killing them
Shuriken neutron blaster- particle- strong against blast plate

bottom line- it's time for more and better weapons, maybe keep the duel lasers too, but get something else, the flenser makes fairly short work of wind slavers, especially when accelerated.
wingedcoyote
Anarchist
Anarchist

I did see a weapon accelerator in a store. Is there any particular place to look for a flenser? Doesn't sound familiar.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

If you're in Charon, the next system should be St. Katherine's Star. St. K's is sort of like the Walmart of the transcendence universe: there's going to be weapons shops, armor shops, tinkers, Sisters, commonwealth buildings... It's the last friendly place before a bunch of nasty sectors. So find the stargate in Charon, jump to St. K's, get loaded up with powerful weapons, then jump back to charon and mop up the bad guys.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

omniaddict wrote:If you're in Charon, the next system should be St. Katherine's Star. St. K's is sort of like the Walmart of the transcendence universe: there's going to be weapons shops, armor shops, tinkers, Sisters, commonwealth buildings... It's the last friendly place before a bunch of nasty sectors. So find the stargate in Charon, jump to St. K's, get loaded up with powerful weapons, then jump back to charon and mop up the bad guys.
very much ^^
you'll need ALOT more than a dual laser.
There is usually one partical gun on the easy side of charon, so i'd try grabbing that for free (loot it), though since it's all randomly generated, no garantee.
Also if you "hover" next to the station, they won't shoot at you.

BTW- windslavers arn't too bad, they are weak, but until you can decently upgrade your ship, barbary gunships (which tend to come in threes with Viking-II support) will really rip you up (they have emp cannons)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I used an X-ray Laser Cannon.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ok, so here's my attempt at a "beating the Charon pirates" primer. As I said before, move forward to st k's, get useful weapons and shields, then go back to charon for the battle. Since my name is Omniaddict, this primer requires that you have all omnidirectional weapons. The omni weapons you are likely to get at st k's would be an omni particle cannon or an omni akan cannon (which requires ammo).

If you absolutely *cannot* find any other omni weapons, (or if you don't want to go to St. K's), then go back through the earlier levels and get either two omni lasers or two omni turbolasers (or one of each) installed, along with a laser collimator. this minimum should be doable, since there are weapons shops that will install an omni turbo for a charge.

SO....

You're in Charon with two omni weapons of some sort installed. Hopefully you also have a targeting rom installed, but you can survive without it. Now, approach a station, hold down your space key, then also hold down the "w" key. The result will be that your ship will quickly switch between weapon 1 and weapon 2, causing both to fire at their full rate, effectively doubling the amount of damage you are doing. Now you can't manuever during this (pressing any other key ends the "w" effect until you release and hit the "w" again. ), but anything in range, or anything you are targeting, will receive a blistering barrage of fire.

If you *must* manuever while double-firing, say to dodge a pirate stations lasers and/or particle beams, try the following: hold space, then also hold up and left (or up and right), then also hold w. with all for keys held, you should spin madly in random psuedo-circles while double firing.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

please don't give advice that contains an exploit :?
but anyway the partical cannon is a poor choice for there but other partical weapons would work well. Personally I like dual or alternating weapons give you a nice spread while still being able to do lots of damage.
Omni weapons are among the weakest in the game (other than much later) so practice aiming and focus on the missile ships. Even if you don't win you still have tons of wrecks to get tons of loot from.
Crying is not a proper retort!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

install a NAMI missile launcher, and buy a bunch of missiles, but not too many, in charon you're going to find plenty of missiles to loot and use right against the nasty pirates. :)

for the main weapon choose the one that gives the best results with your fighting style.

with a yoroi100 and full blast plate, clearing charon is going to be a breeze.
Just remember, asteroids are your friends ! they stop enemy fire ! My tactic is usually to play hide and seek in the asteroids, and it works.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Betelgeuse wrote:please don't give advice that contains an exploit :?
but anyway the partical cannon is a poor choice for there but other partical weapons would work well. Personally I like dual or alternating weapons give you a nice spread while still being able to do lots of damage.
Omni weapons are among the weakest in the game (other than much later) so practice aiming and focus on the missile ships. Even if you don't win you still have tons of wrecks to get tons of loot from.
well, yeah the partical cannon has low area of effect, but the if you can snag a dual before hitting st.k's go right ahaead (the dual provides a bigger beam)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You could edit an extension and put

Code: Select all

omnidirectional="true"
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Fatboy wrote:You could edit an extension and put

Code: Select all

omnidirectional="true"
you can also put that in the weapon tag. ;)
wingedcoyote
Anarchist
Anarchist

Just an update -- I had to ressurect a couple times, but I think I've got the hang of this a bit more now. Breezed through Charon with a Dual Lasers / Shuriken / Shtorm setup and a Mammoth shield. I've discovered that I can use the Ctrl+W trick without feeling any significant moral qualms (after all, why shouldn't I be able to fire more than one gun?), so that makes busting bases and cap-ships a lot less tedious. :)

After mopping up St. K's I pressed on and had a bit more trouble... the system right after is hell, almost impossible to navigate without getting bogged down by tough enemies. But I poked my head in the next one and hey, goodies! Found a Commonwealth base, BM shipyard and three Corporate posts, so I could finally grab a bigger cargo hold and order up a targeting ROM. Ditched the lasers to try out a Penitent gun, thinking about switching it out for Dual Flensers or a Plasma Torch... generally, life is good. Thanks for the tips!
robbybarbera
Anarchist
Anarchist

I have tried about ten times to defend the Korlev station from the Charon pirate attacks when you first gate into Charon system.

I am using the freighter and thanks to good luck and lots of mining I have blasts plate armor S100 Yoroi shield, omni laser with Collimator, NAMI missile launcher, and the smart cannon. (Can't not think of its name.) And targeting ROM also I have the kinetic device upgrade.

Now the problem I am having is not death I can usually finish them off with very little damage to my ship but I can never seem to destroy enough pirates before the station is destroyed or it seems like the ships that also help defend the station seem to die off really quick during the attack.

So my question is what strategy do you use to defend the station and is it possible to defend the station in the first place?

Oh and thanks to George and the community for making a great game and mods!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi robbybarbera,
yes, it's possible to defend the Korolev in Charon, but it's very difficult, and sometimes you just need a bit of luck.
When you enter Charon for the first time you have a little of time to get ready for the battle.

There are a few strategies: the barricades strategy, the exploding crates strategy, or simply, if you have enough firepower, try to blast them off before they destroy the station. (probably lot's of XM900 or a dual particle cannon, or something similar)

Also, try to put yourself in the line of fire and try to stop the missiles using your ship.

Usually using the Wolfen it's easier because of the better maneuverability.