Notable Beginner Weapons Discussion

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Let's discuss what you believe to be the best weapon to get near the start of the game. You can also include device enhancements if you feel it is affordable enough.

I find that the Arbelest Cannon to be a pretty good choice.

It's a kinetic cannon, and I don't believe there are many enemies that are immune or resistant against it (save for the vikings). It's got a decent rate of fire, and decent damage.

The best thing about this weapon is that it has 3 projectiles on paper. When used in the field, turning while shooting this weapon reveals 4 bullets. I'm not sure how the damage is affected, but it is quite powerful if all hits connect (especially if you hit on a straight line).

If you can afford to get a cannon accelerator installed, power is increased by 75% (Not cumulative).
Last edited by Dorne on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

As my name implies, I like omni (auto aiming) weapons. The freighter starts with an omni laser, and you can usually dig up a laser collimator in the first few systems. This last game (.99c, which I just finished), I beat the kronosaur (the big pirate frigate) *and* saved the charon korolov station using a omni turbolaser with a collimator. In fact, the OTL was my primary weapon until 2 systems past st. K's. OTL + collimator+ 20% enhancement is more effective against slaver armor than an omniparticle cannon is.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hmm, so you believe that the OTL should be recommended for the first upgrade of a freighter? I know too well the powers of the omni weapons. If it has a good range and you have a targetting rom you can pass most korolov missions easy (not to say if you don't have them it's hard). Turboloasers are a definite plus against charon forces I believe. Not so much on those with ceramic armor.
omniaddict
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

well, erm, um.... That's the problem with omni weapons. The OTL is'nt the first upgrade, it's the only one. Until you either get a military id for an omni akan cannon, or else find an omni particle cannon, the OTL is the only omni upgrade available. The military rom and the OPC are both usually found after st. K's.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Have you tried the (correct me if I'm wrong) raissermier cannon? It's a tracking weapon that uses ammo, but I believe it's kinetic. It's good if you find enough ammo for it.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Best weapon? Depends on what I can find. I usually don't bother buying weapons early on unless something pretty turns up in a shop. The Sapphire Yacht is an exeption, I try to replace that awful cannon ASAP. If you can get a dual flenser or an x-ray laser early in the game, then you are cooking with gas.

In my last game I had a +60% dual flenser +75% from the accelerator before I reached Charon. I was mincing everything in seconds.

Omni-weapons are great for mopping up fast moving little craft, but I rarely bother with them now unless I have a weapon slot to spare. Maybe I've been unlucky in my games, but I don't see omni turbo-lasers available very often. Targetting ROM and stiletto missiles are also good.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I usually stick with default weapons until I can get particle weapons (I've been lucky recently, found a shuriken in the third system)
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

early game weapons aren't a big deal, get what you can, and that should be enough to St. K

Shields on the other hand: starting shield -> hullplate/monopole -> Yoroi S100 ASAP
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I got a shuriken and a weapon enhancement rom just after rigel- so I popped back in and massacred the guys in the arena... then I roasted the charon, saved korolov, roasted more charon, and kept that thing till I got my IM90...
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

F50 wrote: Shields on the other hand: starting shield -> hullplate/monopole -> Yoroi S100 ASAP
I typically play the Wolfen, so my first upgrade is typically not until around or shortly after St. Ks. I used to always try to get my hands on a Yoroi S100, but a few games ago I wasn't able to find one. I decided to try a NephrenP25 instead, and I loved it. Nearly immune to the Sung and the Dwarg Masters aren't much of a problem either.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

The Yoroi S100 is great, and guzzles less power than the Nephren.

I'll settle for a Class III Deflector if I find one. Its quite reliable for the early game.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

It's still my second choice (third, if you count the class V), but it just doesn't stand up to the Sung/Dwarg like the Nephren. Marauders are really the only mid-game threat to a NephrenP25.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I generally lose the laser on the non sapphire ships for an arbalest or slam cannon as soon as possible, since my early game shield of choice is a solon (if there's not one in eridani I get a class II since it will last until st k's)

Early game weapons in rough order of preference.

Arbalest/Shuriken
Morningstar
Partisan
particle beam weapon
laser array/omni laser
heavy recoilless

Ultimately, I hope to get an akan 30 (yes NON omni, it fires faster and you can pick your own targets on the fly) most games, you can sometimes find one around rigel and it will last you the rest of the game (the iocrym being the only enemy of note it can't handle if you throw it a few enhancements)
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Usually try to get a particle beam and NAMI ASAP, When I get closer to St. Catherine, I usually try go get my self a Lancer. However that may be to far into the game. I usually try to ditch the lazers as soon as possible for a knetic weapon
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

freighter: keep the omni laser (if lucky change it to omni turbolaser)
add NAMI by Arena or Charon. Spend money on shield and armor :D

sapphire: add NAMI and change the recoilless with anything i can find, dual laser,trident, turbolaser, maybe a flenser.
Keep it until St. Kathrine.

wolfen: add fast fire laser (cheap), if lucky change to dual turbolaser (or x-ray).

if you find a MAG launcher keep it but install a NAMI for Charon :D

anything level 5+ makes pre st.kathrine piece of cake.