Basic late-game questions.

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hello fellow captains,

now that my freighter is equipped with an IM90, Lv8 shield, hyperion reactor, heavy ithalium armor (+ion) and a pteracnium megadrive ... what _do_ I do next?

More specifically - what do I still need in order to beat the Iocyrm command ship? Can I do it with an (enhanced) IM90 or do I need different weapons? What shield works best for fighting the command ship, and what armor?

Also, is there any way to prevent devices and weapons from getting damages once my shields are down, or to repair them afterwards?

And a last question: So far, I'm mostly a freighter person. How do you make money with the tiny cargo space of the Wolfen? What do you look for when looting? Is there any way to make some credits/rins off the usually damaged weapons/shields/reactors in wrecks?
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Dealing with the Iocrym has a lot to do with what version you're using. :)

You can prevent device damage by having EMP-immune armor or armor enhancements. Although the Rasiermesser station will repair Rasiermesser equipment, I don't know of any other ways to repair damaged equipment except through using a Longzu sphere to repair energy weapons.

You can make money in other ships through the most obvious means: blow stuff up and loot it. You can also fly missions for Mining Stations or Korolov in the early game. Late game its mostly just looting stuff. But with cargo hold upgrades, wolfen and sapphire can both haul a pretty good amount of loot too.

When looting, you look for whatever will give you the most cash per ton, and you have to consider what kind of loot the stations that you might sell things at would be interested in.

A big ticket to making money in any ship though is just knowing where to buy and sell goods. Buy cheap at one station, sell high at another. Ships with smaller cargo holds may need to make more trips, but in the end the profit is all the same.

You can sell damaged goods to Tinkers, and sometimes weapons or armor dealers will buy damaged weapons or armor. I don't think anyone will pay you rins for them.
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

for your first question, get a big gun and win.

I would recommend a big heavy cannon, like the lamplighter (the prototype is acceptable too), plasma cannon, ferian plasma cannon*, or maybe positron cannon or lancer*, though I haven't tried those yet. the ares plasma cannon shoots too slow to be useful.

* in 1.0

what weapon you need depends on your game version.
in 1.0 the command ship isn't as much a problem as the sentinels, an im90 won't kill them fast enough to save the stations, in my experience, but +150 it may be useful
in .99c an enhanced im90 can get the job done, stay close enough that all 3 beams hit it and be patient.

as for device damage, there is a barrel for that, dyon dust I think, for repairing devices: longzhu spheres can repair energy weapons, the rest is just scrap unless you happen to be using a mod that lets you repair devices.

EDIT: the tinkers will convert some damaged weapons into working ones.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hunt Phobos class dreadnaughts until you get a Kaidun. You can repair with a longzhu, and throw longzhus and daimond field crystals at it until it's +150%. If you have enough longzhus I'd consider switching the IM90 for a lightning turret as well. The range is better, it's basically free, and you can chew up pteravores with it. You might consider an ion flame cannon +fast for pteravores as well. For dealing with the Iocrym you also want a high level plasma or positron weapon, or the lamplighter.

When trading in a Wolfen buy up one kind of good at a time. (eg buy all the ice vodka for one trip then all the ice moss for a second)

When looting look for undamaged shields, reactors, and main weapons. Damaged stuff is pretty much useless unless there's a tinker handy. Secondary weapons may not be worth selling. Missiles are good money.

In a Wolfen you buy less. You don't need that IM90. You don't need the pteracnium megadrive. You'll want to stop buying weapons once you've got an optimized Mark V with speedloader, optimized Katana with bushido enhancer, or possibly optimized Mark III with speedloader and Makayev enhancer. Those will take you to Ares space where you can loot lightning turrets, hecates cannons, and positron cannons.

For shields you want mammoths in the Wolfen in 1.0RC2 or the Kaidun. In the freighter I think faster regening shields may be better now, but the megadrive lets you run away which makes the Kaidun king again.