Where to go from here. Newb.

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Snow-i
Anarchist
Anarchist

So i'm strollin through about three systems past St Ks. The Sung and marauders are no match for me...and I have two systems with Trading posts. I'd like to order the Hyperion, but its 280000 credits. So i'm looting whatever I can get my hands on, and have about 160000 saved up. I ran outta things to kill, so jumped to the next system. Its a binary system. Each and every enemy is wayyy more powerful. I have no chance against them. So....what to do? My weapons aren't powerful enough and neither are my sheilds.

Here's my setup:
Saphire
100MW reactor (enhanced to 120)
Xray Lasers +Collimator 35 x2 @ 5/sec
Invincible class deflector (+20%)
Miners hold.
Poop for armor

I have two corporate trading posts I can use, one of which i'd like to get a hyperion at. My next weapon I'm thinking should be the Katana, but it only does 13 @ 5/sec whereas my xrays are doing 35 (x2) @ 5/sec. Seems like a huge downgrade even though its a pricier and more power hungry weapon (not to mention a higher level).

Suggestions?
Should I just get a lessor reactor and wait for the hyperion?
What weapon would be the next step?
What shields would be the next step?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

avoid the hyperion, it's a bit early for it, you will have some trouble finding the right fuel for it.
remember the progression of the damagetypes (push f1 to have a list of them)
ion is much better than laser, so katana is way better than any laser or kinetic weapon.

upgrade reactor and shield as soon as possible. I hope you have a military ID, if not run missions at the commonwealth militia station. Get the ID, install powerful shield.
Get that katana.

Fry those enemies :D
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You'll note that armor and shields give damage resistances. Resistance to low types (laser, kinetic) are almost always a lot higher than resistance to high types (ion, thermo). That x-ray does not match the damage output of the katana starcannon against most targets. The Katana also has twice the range. It's a very good weapon. The X-ray with collimator is good enough for now, though, and you have other priorities. Armor is extremely important. The invincible is not really invincible and without good armor you will have serious problems soon.

The hyperion is not something you need yet, and unless you're looting pteracnium fuel rods you won't be able to refuel it. It doesn't take He3 fuel assemblies, heliotrope fuel rods, or xenotite fuel rods.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Usually I'm happy with lowerpower reactor and a ton of fuel. Especially after you hit the Ventari They got a ton of fuel... Or wasa that a different one.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Ttech wrote:Usually I'm happy with lowerpower reactor and a ton of fuel. Especially after you hit the Ventari They got a ton of fuel... Or wasa that a different one.
Oh, the ventari have lots of pteracnium, which the hyperion can use, but they usually don't show up till much later
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Snow-i
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hmm, I suppose I'll go ahead and find a bushido to purchase that katana then.

How bout reactor wise? 250mw?

Whats the best way to get the most out of my katana (devices, upgrades, etc)?

What are some sheilds I can keep an eye out for? I love the invincible - has a lot of resistances (but not to these new guys) and recharges very very quick.

As far as armor - I'm using solar armor to keep my fuel costs down. Fuel is great loot and if I can sell it instead of using it by recharging on top of a star every so often, well, thats a few thousand credits I just made!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I always put +fast on the katana. Even if you can get enough ion power capacitors to be worthwhile they don't boost damage against stations.

Bushido enhancer is +50%.
+fast cuts firing delay by 20% for +25% damage.

They're multiplicative for +87.5%

It takes +30% to match the +fast and ion power capacitors are rare as hen's teeth.

And only the +fast has any benefit against stations on a weapon that doesn't note station damage in its description. The Katana has a passthrough effect that basically doubles damage against large unshielded targets including stations and has very good range so you can use it as a station killer.

Longzhu spheres can give +10%, but are best saved IMO for endgame shields in this version.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Snow-i wrote:Hmm, I suppose I'll go ahead and find a bushido to purchase that katana then.

How bout reactor wise? 250mw?

Whats the best way to get the most out of my katana (devices, upgrades, etc)?

What are some sheilds I can keep an eye out for? I love the invincible - has a lot of resistances (but not to these new guys) and recharges very very quick.

As far as armor - I'm using solar armor to keep my fuel costs down. Fuel is great loot and if I can sell it instead of using it by recharging on top of a star every so often, well, thats a few thousand credits I just made!
Might be a few hints / spoliers in this.

You'll need a more powerful sheild then the invincible especially resistance of particle and ion is a must. Reactorwise, upgrade when you can but dono't go overboard - when your going through 5 tank of gas every time you move, upgrade. :)
Snow-i
Anarchist
Anarchist

Ok heres that newb thing I was talking about in the title....

How exactly would i go about trying to get "+fast" on the katana? Just random testing of ROMs?

Also, I can order an item from a CTP - I think this is the best opp to upgrade shields. Suggestions by name?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You cannot order military equipment, and all worthwhile shields at your level are military. You'll have to find them in loot or shops.

You can order weapon optimizer roms (3 per order max) or a bushido enhancer. Other useful things to order include patcher arms, enhancer barrels (depending on your armor; 4 per order max) and molybdenum field crystal.
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Snow-i wrote:How exactly would i go about trying to get "+fast" on the katana? Just random testing of ROMs?
There should be a weapon or device upgrade for that sort of thing. Both the laser and particle-type weapons have weapon upgrades that increase firing rate, and the Howitzers have a device that does the same thing, so there should be one for ion-type weapons as well.
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

There are only two items in the game that increase fire rate; the Weapon Optimizer rom, and the High-Speed Howitzer loader. The Rom is a one use item that will upgrade the speed of any weapon, and the loader is a device that will increase the speed of all howitzer weapons.

The effect from either items will stack with the other.
josh19967
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Snow-i wrote:Ok heres that newb thing I was talking about in the title....
How exactly would i go about trying to get "+fast" on the katana? Just random testing of ROMs?
Exactly. But in my mind, its not exactly worth it because w/ a ROM, the Katana goes from 5 shots/sec-> 6 shots/sec. So that's only 13 extra hp/sec. So I'd just skip the +Fast. But you might try putting a Bushido enhancer on it. Bushido enhancers can be ordered at Corp Trading Posts for some 54000 credits, but it can make the Katana more powerful.
I really don't care if I get my hair cut... *snip* NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!