Where are the targetting ROMs? Seriously?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
steelwing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

So, I'm about 6 systems in. I've made it to Rigel Aurelius. And somehow, I haven't seen a single targetting ROM. Anywhere. I'm about at the point where it's essential for survival. Should I be looking anywhere in particular to find one?
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think that was one reason the trading posts were added - to get some of those "unobtained essentials" You may just have to stick it out until then. Try to find a weapon with a high rate of fire or some spread to help you hit your targets until then. Homing missiles are still useful as they will auto-target the nearest enemy which is useful in a pinch.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sometimes it is just a matter of luck, sometimes you just find it in Eridani at the local commonwealth station, soemtimes it's not spawned anywhere and you have to oder it later at a corporate trading post.
steelwing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yeah, I've got about 70 Stilletos in my missile queue, along with just under 200 Longbows and 10 Brutes. I do pretty well with the Longbows, if I'm shooting at long range (eyeball a shot towards the bright red dot :)) My main weapons are a Shuriken and a Flenser, with a mining laser for backup.
And as for trading posts, how soon might I find one?
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Counting from Rigel, the absolute soonest a corporate trading post will show up is four systems from there, but it most likely be closer to seven or eight.

I've probably played at least two game so far where I had to order my targeting rom. So I'm no stranger to this kind of frustration. It's important to remember that even without a targeting rom, Stilletos and broadswords will still track enemies, so long as you fire them at a close range.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hmm. Might be worthwhile changing either the korolov reward for reaching journeyman from visual upgrade (which is really easy to get) to targetting (which is the exact opposite).

OR

Making some shops offer to install a targeting program for X credits.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Korolov will give you a targeting rom instead of the visual display enhancer if your visual display is enhanced already.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That solves that problem. :D

But still, I think having stations offer target, visual and autopilot upgrades for more than the ROM costs would be a usefull addition. Since you CAN now have ships with no autopilot, there is a need. And if you find a ROM, you just get the same upgrade cheaper, but with the risk of getting a bad ROM.
steelwing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Bobby wrote:Korolov will give you a targeting rom instead of the visual display enhancer if your visual display is enhanced already.
Haven't seen any Korolov outposts yet either. Usuallly I find one no less than two systems in. Oh, well, I'll keep looking. I've had to resurrect twice already, so I may just start a new game too.
Shrike wrote:But still, I think having stations offer target, visual and autopilot upgrades for more than the ROM costs would be a usefull addition. Since you CAN now have ships with no autopilot, there is a need. And if you find a ROM, you just get the same upgrade cheaper, but with the risk of getting a bad ROM.
Many stations have ROMs for sale, but relatively few in the early game carry targetting. And I've yet to see an enemy give up targetting when I loot them.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

steelwing wrote:
Shrike wrote:But still, I think having stations offer target, visual and autopilot upgrades for more than the ROM costs would be a usefull addition. Since you CAN now have ships with no autopilot, there is a need. And if you find a ROM, you just get the same upgrade cheaper, but with the risk of getting a bad ROM.
Many stations have ROMs for sale, but relatively few in the early game carry targetting. And I've yet to see an enemy give up targetting when I loot them.
Ah, that's what I was talking about solving.

Currently, many stations *may* offer ROMs, which *may* be what you want. And are unidentified.

But if you add in the ability for shipyard (or a new/different station/s) to install the *programs*, without bothering with a ROM at all...then you pay more, but get a definite outcome, without the risk of, say, a defective weapon ROM.

So you pay more, get exactly what you want, and still hae the option of finding the ROMs yourself if you want things a little cheaper.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

They should also offer said service for barrels too :P
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wolfy wrote:They should also offer said service for barrels too :P
Good point. Maybe a new station for this could be good...will give tweaking to your armor at a cost significantly higher than a barrel, and will install software. Maybe have two kinds....pre St.Ks for things like targeting ROMs, and Post, for stuff like orthosteel nanos and other wildly expensive stuff. :D

Like this:

Station1:

"Increase strength" ---> purchase and use carbon weaver nanos on all un-upgraded segments that are compatable with them.

"Upgrade resistance"---> Takes you to secondary dockscreen that allows you to increase resistance with: Ablative paste, reactive coating, reflective coating, particle resistance

"Remove coating/s"----> Segment specific removal of coatings, or full ship stripping.

"Anti-radiation treatment" ---> Applies borocarbide to your armor.

"Upgrade software"--> Takes you to screen where you can install ROMs

Station2:

"Increase Strength"-----> purchase and use orthosteel nanos

"Upgrade resistance"----> See above, except with all things.

"Remove coatings"-----> See above

"Upgrade software"-----> See above

"Other services"----> Takes you to a secondary screen where you can choose from regen, anti-radiation coatings (and anything I've forgotten), and install a quantum CPU.
Nill
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

steelwing wrote:
Bobby wrote:Korolov will give you a targeting rom instead of the visual display enhancer if your visual display is enhanced already.
Haven't seen any Korolov outposts yet either. Usuallly I find one no less than two systems in. Oh, well, I'll keep looking. I've had to resurrect twice already, so I may just start a new game too.
If you are a beginner never mind how many times you have died(You will died a lot more when you first encounter the Ares,Huari and Ventari
I Hate This Game="Nill"
YAY NYAN CAT IS IN TRANS http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=949
♫♫♫♫♫
♫ /l
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
In IRC you'll hear great thing like this
[19:41] Azar_Wolf |oh derp, will have to leave in 10 minutes
[19:41] Ttech |NOQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
[19:41] Ttech |eats Azar_Wolf
[19:41] Azar_Wolf |...
[19:41] Ttech |And spits out a ... uh...
[19:41] Ttech |I don't know
[19:41] Ttech |Its a blob
[19:42] Azar_Wolf |eww
[19:42] sdw195 |...
TheLastBrunnenG
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Wolfy wrote:They should also offer said service for barrels too :P
I already wrote a Software Dealer mod (http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=618) that sells CPU and Info items. I'll hold off on adding a barrel dealer, given that Shrike's would probably be better than my hackjob version. "Bob's Barrel of Monkeys"? "Coatings 'R' Us?"
Vaiyo A-O
A Home Va Ya Ray
Vaiyo A-Rah
Jerhume Brunnen G
ImageImage
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh yeah. Barrels. I had honestly forgotten about this. Still, I'll add it to the "To do" list for SW&A. Along with renaming the mod to something more in key with what it's turning into. :P