Guidance, please

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Laanan
Anarchist
Anarchist

Ok, so I feel like there was a choice of paths at some point (maybe in the big commonwealth system?), and now I am just hopping from system to system, always scrounging for fuel. I haven't done a mission or anything like the arena in a really long time. Any guidance to moving into the next phase of the game (if there is one)? Sisters Domina tell me I am too attached to the material world to commune with her. Also is there a way to quickly get back to the big commonwealth system (or wherever) or do you still have to go through individual systems?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You can reach select systems quickly via the hub system known as Elysium. To warp to Elysium, you need either a jumpdrive or gems of despair. Jumpdrive is an expensive device and requires a lot of power, but it is reusable. Gems are non-renewable consumables that are usually found as loot from Penitent (Oracus) shrines. From the sounds of your game, you have access to neither.

Fuel is a major annoyance in this game. Reactor chugs it like water. The easiest way to get fuel for free early in the game is to install solar armor and the biggest, baddest shield you can find; and keep that configuration until you can get cheap/free fuel elsewhere late in the game. I doubt many people play like this, but it has served me well. At least until I fed up with the waiting and decided to play with mods that feature alternative solar items.

Sisters of Domina have an attitude point system, which is hidden from the player. As long as you have points to spend, you can either contemplate or use Pilgram's Aid for free fuel or repairs (as long as armor is no higher than level IX). Sisters can decontaminate your ship in a pinch if you have points to spare. All of these services cost a point per use. Contemplation is a rip-off. At best, you get the effect of a system map ROM. Often, you waste a point for nothing. Pilgram's Aid is where the good stuff is. Cheap fuel is the best option, especially once your ship has a military reactor.

Your next question will probably be "How do I gain points?" You can donate slave coffins, which increases attitude by 1 AND Domina experience by 100 (the latter affects what powers you can use, with Shatter as the final power); or you can donate 750 credits worth of fuel for an attitude point. Trading 750 credits worth of fuel for 10,000+ credits worth to refuel your military reactor is a steal! There are more items you can donate that will earn points, but those two items are easy (for me) to remember.

Never donate money directly to the Sisters. The rules for gaining attitude that way are... complicated. Just donate items instead. If you do not know which items, search and read the spoiler tables.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I assume by big commonwealth system you mean St. Kat's.
In that case, there's not much in missions- all you do for every system is kill everything, loot, then leave. The next missions you will find will be in the Commonwealth fortresses and CSC missions.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Laanan
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks for the info. I did have a solar appliance installed, but it did not work... maybe I'll buy some solar armor.

EDIT

Well, found a gem of despair, anyway, although I guess I have no real use for it at this point. A couple more questions..Why do I sometimes get "Nice Shooting" after killing a foe? And, is there a way to get missile to home in on a target? Finally, can anyone provide a good tutorial link for modding, just wondering where to start ;-)
Last edited by Laanan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solar stuff only works when you're in the glow around a star. You have to hang around in there to refuel.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solar equipment often recharges slowly even with autopilot on. Solar panel refuels very slowly for anything with more than 25MW. Four solar armor segments refuel slowly once reactor size exceeds 100MW. It also leaves you weak defensively if shields ever collapse (and they will).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Modding reference is a great place to start: http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/ ... um.php?f=8
And some other helpful links:
Ten Points of Advice for the Beginning Modder
Tutorial Index <-- it's a bit old though...
That's all I can come up with at the top of my head. On a further note, we really do need to centralize this at the wiki.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.