Quick Field Crystal Question

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I just picked up a blue crystal from a trading post, as I usually do, and started to wonder. If I picked up a green one, too, could I apply both of them to my shield? If not, the blue will work fine, but an added particle reflection would be nice.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I believe crystals cancel any previous upgrade when you use them, if I'm not mistaken.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

dvlenk6 wrote:I believe crystals cancel any previous upgrade when you use them, if I'm not mistaken.
Correct ;)
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Thanks, guys. So much for my mega YoroiMX.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sponge wrote:I just picked up a blue crystal from a trading post, as I usually do, and started to wonder. If I picked up a green one, too, could I apply both of them to my shield? If not, the blue will work fine, but an added particle reflection would be nice.
You could always try to get the Ion reflector shield and hit it with the particle reflect enhance if you want both Ion and particle reflect. It's a better shield than the Yoroi anyway.

Also, I think a defective shield crystal will negate any previous enhancement that was applied... A bad thing that could also be a good thing if the need is warranted.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Here's a nice bit from the .xml:
description="Diamond field crystals increase the power of tech VII-XII shield generators. Unlike other field crystals, a generator can use multiple diamond field crystals."

Also, somebody ever keep track of how much these enhancements raise the sale value of a shield?
Is it an exploit to keep spare crystals and use them on looted shields you find for resale?
Or, is it worth more to just the sell the crystals?
"War is hell."
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I'll have to look into that. You also have to consider that you need a shield to sell, too, and buying one to sell it again will loose a nice amount of cash.

On the subject of the Ion Reflector...

They're military, and so I can't order one, and I haven't seen one yet. On top of that, the only reason I'm using a Yoroi is because I haven't got the reactor to power anything bigger ;). And the Ion shield is MUCH bigger.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

dvlenk6 wrote:Also, somebody ever keep track of how much these enhancements raise the sale value of a shield?
Is it an exploit to keep spare crystals and use them on looted shields you find for resale?
Or, is it worth more to just the sell the crystals?
From what I've seen, selling an enhanced shield is more profitable than another like it that's not enhanced, but it appears the difference is with the type of enhancement. Also depends on where you sell them as well. I've sold items to Thor's that were closer to CW space that seemed to be less than selling to Thor's that were deeper in space, further away from CW terf. I like that idea, seems more realistic that way.
And I think you're better off using the enhancements rather than just selling them.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't find all that many shields in the level 7 to 12 range as loot anyway.
The cyrstals almost no space in the cargo hold; so I guess I'll just start holding onto them.
"War is hell."
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yep, I always hold onto all enhancers and will buy every one I see as well, JIC a rare shield happens my way. Although I'll normally just stick with my Invincible class enhanced +20 throughout the rest of the game.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like the Iocrym Veil the best. I usually put Ion Reflect on it. Makes for happy hunting among the Luminous and Ares.
"War is hell."
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'd say the IV is probably the best shield in the game, overall, but I'm a tightwad when it comes to fuel consumption... For me, having powerful weapons helps compensate for the Incincible's Achilles heel.