Red flash (Split from old thread)

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Wolfy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 am
Atarlost wrote:I'd be for removing the flashing entirely, or only flashing the area outside the viewport.
Yeah, we've been pushing for this for quite some time
Okay, any success?

Flash is getting close to epileptic proportions for me a.t.m.
How do i deactivate?

Am willing to manually change game files for it, but cant seem to find much about it on the forum.
Please help, whit either hidden options or manual step by step guide, much appreciated.

PS yes i can see the age of original post.....
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm glad to see this brought up to the top. I think this would be a very good issue to fix in 1.8b5. It would be entirely consistent with the other UI improvements in 1.8.

The issue is particularly awful when playing a Manticore, since all damage taken throughout the entire game makes the screen go red.

Would somebody be willing to make an appropriate Ministry ticket? I'm not confident in doing those correctly.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Moderator note: I've split this off from the old thread. In future, please start a new thread rather than reviving ancient ones.The old thread referred to a specific problem with the red flash system that was resolved (to some extent) many years ago, and while I agree with calls for more options they are separate from that issues and should be addressed as their own problem.

[/moderatorstuff]

The two problems with the red flash system as it currently is (which is a heck of a lot better than it was, but still isn't ideal):

1. It's based on raw damage, not actual damage. Fire an X-ray laser at an endgame playership and you'll get flashes all the time, but not actually much damage
2. It does need to be able to be turned off.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Sorry, was the only compatible Red Flash forum-post i was able to find.

Is there a way to fix it a.t.m.? i would indeed like a manticore playthrou whitout a sheild... lol
Derakon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It should become less of an issue once you upgrade your armor. It won't go away altogether but it won't happen nearly as often. The Manticore can mount pretty heavy armor, so if you install heavy armor (possibly using a mod that adds more heavy armor to the game like SM&M / EP), that'll boost your HP and in turn increase the threshold for how much damage a shot will have to do to trigger a flash.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

@Song: Thanks for splitting this off and naming what still needs to happen.

@Derakon: Good to know, thanks. I recall that things got a little better with super-heavy Novaya armor, although it still seemed to be flashing for relatively trivial damage.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Red flashes only care about what the damage roll is, and that happens before all of the resistances come into play. If something does even a single point of damage after resistances but the original damage roll was above the red flash threshold, you’re getting a red flash. Basically, the red flash either needs to fire a step or two later in damage processing or it needs to refer to the proper value and I don’t speak C++ (or whatever the game is coded in) so I don’t know which.

That said, an option in Settings.xml to just outright turn it off would be groovy. (Personally, I’d have it default to being off, but that’s because I like being able to actually see what’s going on around me when my shields go down. Hard to tell where to shoot when all you can see is a red screen…)

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Derakon wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:06 am
It should become less of an issue once you upgrade your armor. It won't go away altogether but it won't happen nearly as often. The Manticore can mount pretty heavy armor, so if you install heavy armor (possibly using a mod that adds more heavy armor to the game like SM&M / EP), that'll boost your HP and in turn increase the threshold for how much damage a shot will have to do to trigger a flash.
I play registered, whitout mods of any kind, the Iocrym (light or heavy) or advanced Novaya armors or whatever types all give the exact same red flashy annoying bleeps all the time, regardless of the amount of damage i take. Hence, i play manticore whit a (-20%)sheild :'(
AssumedPseudonym wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 pm
Personally, I’d have it default to being off, but that’s because I like being able to actually see what’s going on around me when my shields go down. Hard to tell where to shoot when all you can see is a red screen…)
+1
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi,

After yesterdays Jenna Fail, see other topic xD
I began a new run whit armor based tanky this time again.

Any chance this red flash thing can be solved // manually removed?
Anyway, was time to bump this topic ^^

o7
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Apparently this has been dealt with in the 1.9 alpha.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thats good to hear !

Any chance it gets prompted to 1.8.1 stable micro updates one of these days?
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

1.9 alpha is doing great on the non-Red Flashy thing.

The last 25% or so from armor still gives the red flash, along whit the sound.

Can that last Red Flash be removed by settings in a file somewhere?
Am willing to do that manually, since the last 25% does look like a normal function to help gamers / everyone else.

Typed out instructions: Help, on how to do this would be kindly appreciated.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

latest 1.9 alpha has now full red flash back it seems.
Any kind of damage even if it does not drop hp, gives a red flash again.