How to force the fabricators to pay off?

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Zeke
Miner
Miner

I'm getting pretty tired of the total lack of intuitiveness of this game. The enemies ramp up fast in strength and the player has to ramp up toys and boosts just to maintain desperate parity, but all the boosts keep saying no effect and wasted resources. Now I'm facing those stupid hard ares enemies and I need big boosts fast. God weapons that help tiny freighters take on Phobos ships without needing some ninja move skills. I want to lumber in and just smack a Phobos ship down hard without getting a scratch, maybe a challenge when they show up in groups. This desperate seat of the pants, lucky shooting and dozen tries for every enemy gets old scraping old saves for restarting. Constant death is not entertaining and the game revels in its opaqueness.

So I get to my first Tereton fabricator and I'm sitting on over a thousand tons of old broken gear no one will buy and all this thing does is growl and try to kill me.

I want some recipes on how to make trash into good things that do uber damage because it's not like the factories and shops are helpful. I must have over 3000 Lucifers and they mostly bounce off the enemies by now.

This experimentation has lost any possible entertainment factor at this point. I'd love to here how I can kidnap this thing's family and torturing it into obedience and compliance. No, I don't want to feed it luxury goods either. That's money wasted and it was all sold to hotels earlier. I've got a couple million credits and like 100K rin and none of it buys anything game changing. I want to force feed it a couple hundred broken cheap leasers and Class 1 shields I've been schlepping around for most of the game and turn them into game changers.

Or just tell me where to buy the good stuff.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Zeke wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 am
So I get to my first Tereton fabricator and I'm sitting on over a thousand tons of old broken gear no one will buy and all this thing does is growl and try to kill me.
So stop feeding it garbage, give it some proper good food and luxury desert. After that when it's purring with content feed it something it can work with, Fuel and ore and (broken) armor. Don't forget to also feed it lots of fuel. It will gladly take anything even fuel ore. NEVER give it drugs! That will make it angry.
Zeke wrote:
I want some recipes on how to make trash into good things that do uber damage because it's not like the factories and shops are helpful. I must have over 3000 Lucifers and they mostly bounce off the enemies by now.
Those lucifers can be enhanced by Domina to do up to 40% more damage. Buy some other missile launcher that has more powerful ammo like the Rasiermesser or Heavy Nami. You have plenty of credits for that.
Zeke wrote:
This experimentation has lost any possible entertainment factor at this point. I'd love to here how I can kidnap this thing's family and torturing it into obedience and compliance.
You can't it has no family and it does not have any kind of empathic feelings. It only cares for the right kind of food.
Zeke wrote:
No, I don't want to feed it luxury goods either.
Sorry, then you will never get it to do anything for you
Zeke wrote:
That's money wasted and it was all sold to hotels earlier.
You will never find a hotel in Ares space so forget about that. Hoarding luxuries that you cannot sell is useless. Feed them to the Teraton factories, or sell some of it for a few Rin to the ringers or Teraton traders. Be advised, they don't want much of it.
Zeke wrote:
I've got a couple million credits and like 100K rin and none of it buys anything game changing.
You either have very bad luck or don't know where to go.
Zeke wrote:
I want to force feed it a couple hundred broken cheap leasers and Class 1 shields I've been schlepping around for most of the game and turn them into game changers.
Stop hoarding broken low level stuff! Feeding them to the Teratons won't give you high level weapons back. It will just get it to eat you, because hey, you are perfectly good food. Fresh and alive. Much better than those Human cadavers, or slaves. So give it something that should taste better than YOU.
Zeke wrote:
Or just tell me where to buy the good stuff.
Try CSC's, Ringers, Teratons. Oh and upgrade your stuff with Domina Powers. Also use Domina powers to destroy enemies or to become temporarily indestructible, with double hitpoints for all your weapons. Use those Glowing Penitent crystals to stop time so they cannot move and shoot at you. Be creative.
Zeke
Miner
Miner

Ferdinand wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:40 am
Sorry, then you will never get it to do anything for you
Why bother feeding it stuff you can actually sell?
You will never find a hotel in Ares space so forget about that. Hoarding luxuries that you cannot sell is useless. Feed them to the Teraton factories, or sell some of it for a few Rin to the ringers or Teraton traders. Be advised, they don't want much of it.
Again, plenty of places just to sell it or just backtrack because fuel is easy.
You either have very bad luck or don't know where to go.
I don't rely on luck and all the good gear is sold further down the line after you already need it. How stupid is that?
Stop hoarding broken low level stuff!
Why not? I had to fight and spend resources to get the stuff and it was typically the only award. I expect to get something for my efforts.
Oh and upgrade your stuff with Domina Powers.

Canon level with 4K Domina points and hitting Ingenuity consistently offers no result found. I can do it 20 times and get nothing.
Be creative.
No. This culture of encouraging players to take a chance and screw up is counter to what game forums exist for. It's an old game. This place should be awash with itemized spoilers. Players already have the option to just wing it by not looking at the help threads. They make and read help threads for detailed answers, not vague noises about going back to screw up. Pinned threads on how to squeeze every last drop out of this game should have been made years ago, if this was a proper fan community.

To hell with these silly things. Time for repair and no limit sales mods. If the game drops something then make the game pay for it one way or another. Get the cash and use the jump ahead cheat to get the tools that should have been offered when you actually need them.

I don't play games to fail. I play games to crush them.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Zeke wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:56 pm
I don't play games to fail. I play games to crush them.
Then you will have to find another much less challenging game to play. You are losing you because you cannot crush it. In order to play this game with success you will have to go outside your comfort zone and do things different or you will lose any time. It was designed to be a challenge, not to be a mindless crushing game.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Here is a link to a topic I posted more than five years ago. Should still be relevant today.

Basic use: start with fuel (your energy), then ore or armor (your material), then food or soul (disposition), then the device you want to fix or upgrade. You can skip the food if you only care to duplicate missiles. Feeding it weapons and shields from the start will make it angrier and probably eat you.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Zeke wrote:I don't play games to fail. I play games to crush them.
 The current alpha release introduces difficulty modes, with the traditional version of the game being the hardest. “Normal” in the new alpha is that players do double damage and take half damage; “Story Mode” has players deal ten times the damage and take one tenth the damage. Those might be more to your liking. There’s a link in Announcements. (There’s a fairly nasty bug associated with docking that was also introduced in that version that George hasn’t been able to address due to Thanksgiving and whatnot. Check the Ministry for details.)

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Zeke
Miner
Miner

Thanks to PM and AP for straight answers. Seems that by the time you get to the fabricators the top end gear is just a system or two later and the results don't offer unique gear that you can't buy. It's just a mini-game with fairly standard prizes that can be skipped if you are a diligent and observant trader.

Mods seem smarter to deal with problematic loot drops. Clearly it is smarter to be mindful early of things that can generate more rin late for the best gear and work the story line better. If I can deal with the broken drops then I'll have the funds needed not to trade in rin producing loot for stantard credits. All those renegade miners with better ores that I just sold for credits cut my ultimate rin potential quite a bit.

I do apologize for coming off angry in my OP. After getting only two of each of the indy weapon and armor shops (one pair of each in Eradani and Arena) and only 1 Tinker I was schlepping broken drops all game hoping for a place to dump it for creds or loot. Lots of time wasted for nothing is irritating. The game needs either more buyers or less broken loot. Too bad I never saw a junkyard mod on the mod site.
Ferdinand wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:25 pm
Then you will have to find another much less challenging game to play. You are losing you because you cannot crush it. In order to play this game with success you will have to go outside your comfort zone and do things different or you will lose any time. It was designed to be a challenge, not to be a mindless crushing game.
Dunning Kruger elitst hogwash. The challenge is already built in by not researching anything and just playing. Visit 100 game forums and they will invariably drill down every detail over time. There is an entire aftermarket industry in player guides to squeeze the games, and almost all of that aftermarket is focused on complicated detail games because those are the games people are willing to pay money to get answers. If all games were low challenge the aftermarket wouldn't make a thin dime.

I want detailed answers because as someone who has plated computer games since the Atari and Commodore days, I'm a lot older with both time limitations and aging reflexes. I want to play games through, not endlessly restart because of gotcha moments. Also, try these game controls on a Wolfen when you are 60 instead of 30 and you'll understand why lumbering in is necessary.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Fabricator is not the game-breaker it used to be. Aside from the changes that weakened fabricators, the more recent change to shop inventories to stock items close to system level made 1) jumpdrive harder to get early and 2) other items easier to get. Today, I use it mainly to get items I want but have trouble finding (enough of), like omni ion blaster for Minotaur, or to duplicate missiles for NAMI heavy launcher.

Before 1.1, I could get jumpdrive as early as one system after St. K's, wrap to Heretic, and craft level 10 equipment with better output. Cannot do this for several releases.

Now, that 1.9 alphas allow ROMs and the like to enhance or repair anything, rather than only the currently selected weapon, I use them mostly as repair items. The new weapon efficiency ROM works up to level 10, and will be so great at repairing that Ares Plasma Archcannon or Iocrym Fracture Cannon player may be drooling over. Being able to repair items more easily means I may not need to play with fabricator as much to get good weapons or shields.

As for difficulty settings, the easier ones affect damage dealt and taken by the playership. Death by non-combat events like angry fabricator are not affected.

One more note: Ingenuity can work, but it is random, and does not always work. I still spam it at every opportunity because I will not say no to superior equipment (or free money) and the only other power paired with it, Circle of Wrath, kind of stinks.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Zeke wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 am
I want detailed answers because as someone who has plated computer games since the Atari and Commodore days, I'm a lot older with both time limitations and aging reflexes. I want to play games through, not endlessly restart because of gotcha moments. Also, try these game controls on a Wolfen when you are 60 instead of 30 and you'll understand why lumbering in is necessary.
Well, we're not that different in age I suppose. I was writing games for those machines back in the day. I remember hauling cassette tapes to friends and waiting for several minutes of loading time before we could start to play....

To me your writing looked like those of many young players tat are just looking for something mindless and I did not want to give too much spoilers. I have been playing this game since version 0.7 and those early versions were much harder to play and explained literally nothing compared to todays game.

So , I really did not want to offend you, but tried to be ecouraging.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The current stable version is a fine game.

If u try a new one, go El500 class freighter, and stick to omni weapons. ( omni laser -> omni particle -> omni ion )
Also deactivate (hotkey B) your shield straight at start, and even unequip your shield and sell it (fuel wise).
This should help greatly for slower reflex players.

Note; when not having a shield, rotate your ship to spread the damage to your armor sections, while your omni weapon does the work.

gl & hf

Edit;
Oh almost forgot, fabricators are not the to be docket whit, they pinjata's, full of loot, just for you ^^
Zeke
Miner
Miner

Well, shooting them for fun and profit, like the Salvagers seems like a better idea.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tiber wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:53 am
Oh almost forgot, fabricators are not the to be docket whit, they pinjata's, full of loot, just for you ^^
Fabricators do not stock weapons and other "majorItem"s like other Teraton stations do. All they have for sale are minor stuff generally useful for feeding the fabricator. In other words, chump change. If player wants to rob Teratons, better to do it at the non-fabricator stations with the satellites. At least those have better inventory to drop, if the items survive the explosion.