Black Market questline...what am I doing wrong

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Sarin
Anarchist
Anarchist

Playing vanilla 1.9 RC1, just with Osaka enabled (and not using it anyway), I always get stuck in this. Doing deals until I'm promoted, do the first delivery quest, keep doing deals to get promoted to Syndikat Member, picking up one generic quest along the way...and then I get stuck. At Syndikat Memeber, buying stuff no longer seem to work to advance, and I'm not getting any quest anywhere.

The only things that come to mind that could affect it are that I'm usually slightly in negative due to using some stuff for Domina advancement, and never asking for any gear.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it just takes a LOT of buying from the Black Market to get to Lord rank.
The ranks are based on the number of xp you have. It starts off fairly easy, civilians have 1xp, and doubles or triples through the ranks up to 3000xp for Member. But it then jumps to 10000xp for Lord. It may be that a standard SOTP game doesn't have enough Black Market stations to generate this many xp.
IIRC buying illegal items from BM stations, including Tempus stations, and doing BM missions give you xp. There are only two different missions and you can only get a maximum of 3-5 of them and only up to Rigel or St Kats.
A hack is to sell the illegal items back to the BM stations, take the credit loss and then buy them again - do this a few times if necessary to pump up the xp, but this isn't a good gameplay alternative IMO.
Adding extensions to your game like Corporate Command or Near Stars increases the number of star systems and may increase the number of BM stations.
Good luck!
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Sarin
Anarchist
Anarchist

Nope, I don't think that's it. I've just tried that, racked up 1M in sales and almost 250k in losses, and the XP stayed at 13% I got from the last mission. Tried leaving and reentering, no promotion just in case it was somehow just visual glitch.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The new rank window might have bugged the code then. If I get a chance I'll do a quick test later to see what is happening. Good work.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well spotted. There is a line of code which stops any xp increase from buying illegal items once Sindikat Member is reached.
I've added a ticket to the Ministry: http://ministry.kronosaur.com/record.hexm?id=97994
Sarin
Anarchist
Anarchist

Oh well...any chance for a hotfix? I want to see where it leads....
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Attached. Not a lot of testing. I did get to BM Lord but it took a lot of credits!
It is a copy of "unidBlackMarketMember" which overrides the standard game code. The limiting xp value is reset to 10000 which allows Lord rank to be reached.
Requires 1.9RC1 or higher.
Create a folder called " Extensions" in the Transcendence game folder and copy this file into it.
Then select the "Black Market Lord Enable 1.9RC1" mod in the game start screen.
Attachments
D789BMLordOverride1.9RC1.xml
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Sarin
Anarchist
Anarchist

I ran a game with it, seems to work. Though...is there really no reward for gaining the top rank?
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sarin wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 pm
is there really no reward for gaining the top rank?
Not yet, the developer wants to add more content (see the link above). but coding takes time.
Enabling Lord rank does give you access to better weapons at this stage and your higher rank shows in the game stats.
Feel free to post any ideas for expanding the Black Market (or any area of the game), they are always welcome.