Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 18
Nova Andromeda
Anarchist
Anarchist

George Moromisato wrote:... we could create a new Beta II game (same features, just a different random layout).
This poll is to determine support for starting a new Beta II game as described by George (a Beta Beta of sorts). If George finds enough support for a Beta II game, then he can post in this thread and the start date could be 1 week after his decision.
Finnian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:mrgreen: guys , if a new game will start I have a new Idea for a total conceptual project, a strange kind of empire I mean !
IN GEORGE WE TRUST
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I support a new beta, but at a minimum:
New players can't be expected to know the workarounds for these and some of them (messages, citadel interface) have no workaround.

Ideally,
Nova Andromeda
Anarchist
Anarchist

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:I support a new beta, but at a minimum:
[snip]
I think asking for fixes may be more time than George has given his other commitments. Alternatively, does anyone know if the source code can be downloaded? Maybe one of us can dig through it and help George fix it. For instance, by identifying specific lines in the code that result in the bugs and or writing bits of code he can insert to implement the requirements suggested.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I support this poll!

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me right now to make fixes, but I will schedule some time this year for critical bug fixes. We'll probably start a Beta II game before then. And we can always create a third game later.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Great, I look forward to the new beta, then!
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:New players can't be expected to know the workarounds for these and some of them (messages, citadel interface) have no workaround.

[*]planetary traits should be defined in-game
What we really need is a help screen; I'll volunteer to write the thing if need be. We should at least get a description of ship types and planet types, a beginner's tutorial, etc. This would be an enourmous help to everyone, newb and veteran alike.
Nova Andromeda wrote:Alternatively, does anyone know if the source code can be downloaded? Maybe one of us can dig through it and help George fix it. For instance, by identifying specific lines in the code that result in the bugs and or writing bits of code he can insert to implement the requirements suggested.
The HTML/JS/CSS/gfx can, of course, be downloaded from the game page itself and some bit of the the core server code has been posted once or twice (I still have it on my laptop, provided I can remember where the heck I put it :roll: ). I volunteered to help update/expand/etc the game; it would be really awesome if we could get a team together to work on it if/when George doesn't have the time.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

catfighter wrote: What we really need is a help screen; I'll volunteer to write the thing if need be. We should at least get a description of ship types and planet types, a beginner's tutorial, etc. This would be an enourmous help to everyone, newb and veteran alike
Well, there's my Gameplay Guide and FAQ, which has tables and descriptions for ship and planet types and is sort of a tutorial: http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6578. Tell me how it can be improved.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

While extremely helpful, it's also extremely enormous and extremely detailed, too much so for an ingame thing geared toward newbs. Ingame help would best be displayed as several tabs covering a few basic concepts and general guidelines out of the full text with some sort of "1-Week Walkthrough" and a link to the full Guide for anyone dedicated enough to want to know the specifics. Alternatively, we could just have the game have "Basic" (newb walkthrough) and "Advanced" (your full guide in all its glory) help screens to prevent the possibility of an Unnavigable-Redundancy-Web-of-Doom from materializing.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

George: I don't know how much freedom you have when generating Anacreon maps, but I think it would be really nice if Beta II featured a map with borders totally enclosed by nebulas or otherwise restricted to ship transit. We have that nice huge nebula splitting the galaxy in half in Beta I but gunships and starships can literally just go around it at the north and south ends, taking very weird paths to get there. This is assuming that Beta II will contain nebulas that touch the edges of the map; it's not a problem if they don't. I also preferred the star clusters from Alpha I over the more even distribution in Beta II, and I think that light nebulas could stand to be slightly more common.
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Beta 1 is not working? Is this due to the new beta is up and running or has their been a reset in beta 1? My empire is gone and I can't re-enter the game. I am brought to a planet that is not mine and screen is acting like it is my capitol, but it is showing like it is independent.
NH620
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sounds like you might have gotten hit by the no - capital bug, where another empire conquered your capital but due to an unknown bug your empire was not destroyed as an entity. Can you access the empire tab to abdicate? Alternately, do you have any remaining planets that you can designate as sector capitals?
WorldsStrongestNerd
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Newbie, somebody took out your empire, and for a while it looked like the only planet you had was a sector capital. Then somebody took that.
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:Sounds like you might have gotten hit by the no - capital bug, where another empire conquered your capital but due to an unknown bug your empire was not destroyed as an entity. Can you access the empire tab to abdicate? Alternately, do you have any remaining planets that you can designate as sector capitals?

YES I HAD BOTH PROBLEMS.......HELP!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO AEON CAPITOL IS THE SYNDICATE EMPIRE I WAS ABLE TO WRITE A MESSAGE ON THEIR CONMUNICATION SYSTEM. PLUS I SAW ANOTHER AEON CAPITOL NEAR THE ONE I HAVE SOME CONTROL OF.
NH620
NIGHTHAWK620
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

WorldsStrongestNerd wrote:Newbie, somebody took out your empire, and for a while it looked like the only planet you had was a sector capital. Then somebody took that.

I KNOW. BUT I AM STILL STUCK....READ ABOVE IN FORUM.
NH620