New Units

General discussion for the game Anacreon
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I just updated the Era 4.5 and made the following fixes:

1. I've introduced warp transports (2 regular and 2 ramships). These carry 5 infantry brigades each.
2. I've changed starship speeds to 1 ly per watch (per Imperator and others).
3. I've fixed the ghost-worlds bug (but if it happens again, let me know).

I'll continue adding a few more fixes in the next couple of days, but this is pretty close to the final Era 4 state. If you have any other high-priority bugs, please let me know.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm
Excellent, thanks George.

It does look like nearly all of the major game-breaking bugs are fixed, including the hilariously borked map display of empire names.

There are a few more minor ones with regard to the new siege mechanics:

1. Info on rebellions displaying as "unknown" on own worlds. Unsure if anyone else can verify this, I deliberately incited civil war to test it. Seemed to occur just after the NaN display bug was fixed.

2. Some people have reported that invading armored infantry defects to the defending side in a siege. Clearly a pretty major problem, however I haven't experienced this personally. I've successfully sieged the capital worlds of 2 empires (and destroying them) with armored infantry only without any defections. Sieges of a 3rd empire are in progress, I'll report back if I experience this bug.

Are different colors for player empires (even if it's just a non-red color for empires one hasn't attacked) still on the table for this Era? I think with that, plus the remaining placeholder image replacements would make for a greatly improved Era 4!
Last edited by --Imperator-- on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Issue #1 seems to have been fixed, civil war messages are now displaying properly. Unsure if a fix was deployed or if it was a one-time occurrence, but I've closed the ticket anyway.

I've successfully captured a third empire's worlds (and capital) without experiencing the defection bug mentioned by others in #2. I'm guessing that a probable cause might be if a world is under siege and it goes into civil war, the defecting troops might erroneously be pulled from the siege forces as well as the owner's forces stationed on the world.

How are simultaneous sieges and rebellions handled?

There seem to be no other outstanding major bugs with the new siege mechanics, only implementation of features like forcing the defender to fight orbiting fleets before landing reinforcements.
MDFification
Anarchist
Anarchist

--Imperator-- wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 am
george moromisato wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm
2. Some people have reported that invading armored infantry defects to the defending side in a siege. Clearly a pretty major problem, however I haven't experienced this personally. I've successfully sieged the capital worlds of 2 empires (and destroying them) with armored infantry only without any defections. Sieges of a 3rd empire are in progress, I'll report back if I experience this bug.
If I recall correctly, we've also observed this bug with Imperial Guardsmen.

EDIT: The bug just happened to me with Imperial Guardsmen. It seems to be caused by attacking a planet you're already invading.

The new units are a bit of a game-changer. No longer are jump beacons an effective constraint on conquest - now we're just limited in terms of how many transports we can build and how fast they can go. Hopefully sieges are enough to stop the return of the blitz...
MDFification
Anarchist
Anarchist

I've managed to reproduce the unit defection bug. It can be triggered using the following steps:

1. Invade a planet (preferably one that is still builing defenses and/or ships - otherwise you won't be able to do the next step), and initiate a siege. What units you use shouldn't matter (although we haven't had confirmed accounts of Infantry and Exotroop brigades defecting yet - Imperial Guardsmen and Armored Infantry are the only ones confirmed. I'll do more testing later when I get my units back.)

2. Move a fleet to the planet. Attack it, and select 'destroy ships and defenses'.

3. Congratulations, your units should now have defected to the enemy! Make sure to shake your fist and bellow about how treason will not go unpunished.

All of this is available as comments on the initial bug report, and I've let other players know through in-game messaging and the discord so they can mess around with this.
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

MDFification wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 pm

The new units are a bit of a game-changer. No longer are jump beacons an effective constraint on conquest - now we're just limited in terms of how many transports we can build and how fast they can go. Hopefully sieges are enough to stop the return of the blitz...
I sort of agree with you here. I think all we did was slow the speed of the blitz. I think that now more than ever we need those autofire jumpmissles ... However, it seems that if one can sufficiently cover a world with enough jumpmissiles it may do some damage. Then again, from my experience, the massive armada's that form in the late game are utterly unphased by 60,000 jumpmissiles flying at them in deep space so... who knows.

On another note,

I have purposefully crashed my empire. And it has disintegrated spectacularly. It appears that the strength of the rebellions are higher and more dangerous. They still last a very long time though. However, in era 3 I didn't even need to fight off rebellions sometimes, and I would gain the world back. Not so in era 4, you better kick their butt or they actually take the world. There have only been a handful of worlds that actually returned to my side without having to fight the rebels. Very different from the era 3 mechanics.
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,
Rays of cosmic waves crashing through still dead night.

Gifts of diamond rays,
Strewn pearls of days not measured,
Treasured gleaming quests fade through the absolute oblivion of infinite time, no matter the direction.

And war died the day it noticed itself,
Peace, yet still dead, peace in the void of voids.
MDFification
Anarchist
Anarchist

New update on the defection bug: third parties can trigger defections too! Bugzzz was in the midst of putting someone else to siege when Imperator attacked his fleet from orbit, causing Bugzzz infantry to defect to the planets owner (not Imperator).
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

MDFification wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:19 pm
New update on the defection bug: third parties can trigger defections too! Bugzzz was in the midst of putting someone else to siege when Imperator attacked his fleet from orbit, causing Bugzzz infantry to defect to the planets owner (not Imperator).
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll try to reproduce.