Searching for graphics for Asteroid Mining Base

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi all,

I would have need for some graphics. Indeed a thing I cannot do by myself : an asteroid mining base. For now I use the base asteroid graphics to do that.

The idea is to take an asteroid, mine it, excavate the internal space and add external docking ports, domes and sensors. It would make a nice storage base where miners would go to sell their mined ore, before it is send to processing plants.

I would just need it to look like an asteroid, with a few extra artificial structures showing. But I just can't do that with the softs and knowledge I currently got.

Of course it also could be used in regular extensions, I don't intend to keep such a generic station to my sole SoC use !

Thanks in advance to anyone who would help ^-^
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think I can pull that off. It'll be next weekend, though. It won't look just like George's asteroids because I don't have his meshes or textures.

Oh, how big?
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Atarlost,

Many thanks for the proposal ! I would be very glad if you could make an original station ! Do you have any reference material to research ? I googled some belonging to a number of various universes, if you want links just post back and I'll send them to you. Also, if you want some asteroid meshes, I got a small bunch of them in .X format.

Btw, this morning I discovered I overlooked some asteroid-based station pics on the original Transcendence resources, in fact Station1.jpg, Station3.jpg, Station4.jpg and Station5.jpg. But I'm still eager to see yours ^-^ Most are in 128x128 so I think it may be better to keep to this resolution...
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Atarlost, hi all,

In fact there's a kind of asteroid station that isn't in the regular Transcendence : a Dyson Tree station !

It was proposed by Freeman Dyson, the same as the Dyson Sphere. Basically, you let a wood grow in an asteroid/comet and cover the surface with foliage, using solar energy for photosynthesis and building a life support zone in the interior of the trunks.

It's basically a kind of vegetal station, kind of Jack Vance's Iszm Houses transposed into space.

In Hoshikaze 2250, such stations are the base space habitats of the Pupeteers species, who rely on living beings as technology and also have bioships. When in the process of joining the Commonwealth of Spacegoing Species, they have begun to sell them to other species. So there are a few in Human space. And as the Core League is allied with a Pupeteer state and much Pupeteers are in business with Core League systems, their stations are becoming quite fashionable in the Core League !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project