MODS that could use updating........

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have noticed with recent changes to Transcendence some of the older mods no longer function.
Most likely, any of the old .99 and earlier mods that use dockscreen won't work anymore such as digdug's Ore Refining Mod.
Digdug recommended I post about it.
Are there other mods that do not work with 1.01 and up?
Is anyone willing to rework them so that they will?

I know some of you who make mods are busy with your own mods and personnel stuff (work, scholl, ect)

I love mods!
I can't make mods :(
I can't modify them either :(

Thank you!!!!!!
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The two biggest problems I see is that most mods are made by modders that are no longer vary active (if at all). We would need some proper way of updating them (we can't just go in and take over their mods, and creating duplicates for new versions will create a mess on xelerus)

The next problem is the sheer amount of mods....

Perhaps the best thing to do is to start a push to actually label the mods that don't work (perhaps wait till we have the next stable version out). That way ppl who mod will actually have some targets to recreate (and make even better perhaps?)
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

We may be able to create a tag on Xelerus that explains that, like "Non-Functional" or some such. When people reupload them, they deselect the tag.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There are tags for broken mods, mods in bugtesting, and obsolete mods already.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Atarlost wrote:There are tags for broken mods, mods in bugtesting, and obsolete mods already.
Perhaps, but the mods in question aren't broken, they work exactly the way they are supposed to in the version they were designed for.

And obsolete implies that it's functionality is superseded or unneeded in current versions. I think a new "not working in latest version" tag would be more appropriate.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

You are right. We already have a marker for which version they were working with. However, it is to much to expect that we get a marker to the last version they work with. So, you proposal hits the middle ground:
Curudan wrote:I think a new "not working in latest version" tag would be more appropriate.
Now, if you can come up with a good name I will add it :P

Edit: If not I will add it with a bad name :D
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Davlin's Closet :D
Defunct Items.
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Defunct or Outdated are the best I think you can do with one word, but I think it needs to be longer than that to get the point across.

"Broken in Current Version" seems to me to be the best and shortest way to do that. We've already got at least one tag longer than that, anyway.

Ideally, this fact should be highlighted in some way, like red text, but I don't think Xelerus can support that.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Curudan wrote:
Atarlost wrote:There are tags for broken mods, mods in bugtesting, and obsolete mods already.
Perhaps, but the mods in question aren't broken, they work exactly the way they are supposed to in the version they were designed for.

And obsolete implies that it's functionality is superseded or unneeded in current versions. I think a new "not working in latest version" tag would be more appropriate.
There is one. It's not widely applied yet, but it's implemented.
Literally is the new Figuratively
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:
Curudan wrote:

There is one. It's not widely applied yet, but it's implemented.
Looks good to me... But... should this apply to stable or beta? I would say stable, but then again I don't know how many are playing it.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't know about you, but for the most part people are using 1.04 not 1.01. Granted people can see the "Broken" mods and try them anyway. But I'd love something like ArchLinux AUR's 'flag as out of date" feature. We'll need to poke bmbl with such ideas.